Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Westaam
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Westaam »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Supported Man Utd till he was about 13
Probably due an amnesty. Chalking it down to youthful high spirits.

Grey area until of voting if not retirement age.

Don't slaughter the lad.

:crest:

Far too many other worthwhile things to do.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

In all the hullabaloo about new signings, I want to remember that we already have players that I'm proud to have at the club and Mark Noble is one. I hope he has a fantastic season. He deserves to lead a team out that is fit to wear the shirt and hopefully we now have that this season. :crest:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

'Appy 'Ammer wrote:It is the beginning of the end for him.

Thanks Mr noble

You know what, such is the man he'd happily step aside today if someone genuinely better than him would come along to replace him and do whatever the manager asked if it was to come off the bench rather than kick up a stink and demand to move. He genuinely wants what's best for the team first and foremost.

Should Wilshere arrive and fully fit to play, his place would be seriously under threat and I'd have no problem with him being dropped in such an instance. However I would caveat that saying it wouldn't be the end of him or as some kind of but player, rather a chance to prove himself that he can still earn his place on merit and play alongside someone like Wilshere and not an either/or scenario. He always strikes me as someone who revels in playing with genuine class players and his game thrives when he's got proper options around him to pass too.

In my opinion, even if I get my wish and Wilshere signs having proved his fitness, it won't be the beginning of the end of him but rather the end of having to fight fires on his own and can now concentrate on his natural game and enjoy his football again like he did during the last season of the Boleyn.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Kialos wrote:In all the hullabaloo about new signings, I want to remember that we already have players that I'm proud to have at the club and Mark Noble is one. I hope he has a fantastic season. He deserves to lead a team out that is fit to wear the shirt and hopefully we now have that this season. :crest:
Hear, hear.

He should now also have the movement up front needed to make him shine even more as far to often he receives the ball looks up and nothing....
miles
This site...
Has liked: 321 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by miles »

For someone who's spent his best footballing years playing in some of the worst West Ham teams ever assembled, this season should be a nice change for him.
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Nice post Pinkie, I couldn't have put it better myself.

I bet Mark is looking forward to the start of the season, look at the players around him compared to the final third of last season how can that not inspire a player and supporter, and every time Noble has been written off, as some are doing on here at this time, he's rolled his sleeves up and delivered a better season than expected. Always up for the challenge, he has the ability if he stays fit to stay in the team regardless of the form of Fernandez, Kouyate and Obiang as he is still the best passer of the ball at the club and his underdog spirit will still be needed as although our signings this summer have been good we haven't morphed into a top four team overnight.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

He'll have a blinder of a season this year.

Nothing to do with it being a world cup season either :wink:
hamagram
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hamagram »

He must surely have one of the best injury (free) records, for an outfield player in the history of the Prem.,
Something like 400 games in 10 years ?
Ironmark :scarfer:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2015 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

bristolhammerfc wrote: I love him as a player and don't want to see him reduced to 10 minute Johnny Moncs cameos.
I hope Mark never stoops that low as a player that he's compared to that waste of space.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2577 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Even if Wilshere did become first choice CM ahead of Noble, it's hardly a threat. Noble could still end up playing 3/4 of a season covering for injury!

Noble is a good player and a consistent performer. He's a competent passer of the ball, and has a wealth of Premier League experience. Nobody gets to play for that long in the Premier League as a first team player if they're rubbish. He does have weaknesses though. His pace is one, and his aerial ability is another. He hardly wins a single ball in the air defensively in comparison to Kouyate. He can also be indecisive on the ball - which sometimes results in an opposition player nicking the ball from him. His positional play isn't really great either and he has a habit of chasing the ball around the pitch. For all his workrate chasing, he doesn't actually get that many tackles in. As he's chasing, the tackles he does put in tend to be desperate lunges which, when they come off, look very impressive. When they don't come off they're dangerous. Once we have the ball then his habit of chasing the ball becomes an advantage as he's always available for the pass. His ability to retain possession is essential in the team. We only have him and Lanzini who aren't desperate to give the ball away as soon as we win it back.

The argument that he's at his best when surrounded by quality players isn't really a great argument in his favour. The same could be said of most average players. That's not to say that Noble is average, it's a criticism of the argument.

The conclusion? He's good at some stuff and not so good at other stuff. I'm surprised at how few people have come to the same conclusion in this 260 page thread.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Longest serving player currently in the Prem, isn't he?

420 games for the club (according to wiki) and he cost nothing. We should be proud.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Longest serving player currently in the Prem, isn't he?
Hadn't realised that Aztec, good stat .

Aztec Hammer wrote: We should be proud.
Some of us are .

He's what Eamonn Dunphy in his excellent book only a game called "the good pro" .
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

the pink palermo wrote:Some of us are .
I really can't understand why anyone isn't. Each to their own I guess.
lewis100985
Has liked: 209 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by lewis100985 »

Definitely a West Ham legend, it was shame he never got a chance with England.

The way he comes across I don't think he would throw his toys out of the pram if he was benched for a superior player. He would do it for the benefit of the team.

I hope he retires and coaches here. :crest:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

the pink palermo wrote:Some of us are [proud] .
PF. wrote:I really can't understand why anyone isn't. Each to their own I guess.
Pretty girl syndrome, ain't it? Some people focus on a players skill or ability in regards to what a servant they are to the club.

That is, they'd rather subserviently walk 3 steps behind Paolo Di Canio in Bluewater, carrying her Pandora bags, than go for a beer with Dailly, Butler and Pearce.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Modern day legend and certainly the last local legend we will ever have.

:crest:
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

wizzo_66 wrote:Modern day legend and certainly the last local legend we will ever have.
I am seriously concerned about the serotonin levels of this website.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:That is, they'd rather subserviently walk 3 steps behind Paolo Di Canio in Bluewater, carrying her Pandora bags, than go for a beer with Dailly, Butler and Pearce.
She wouldn't bother showing up if it was shopping in the Trafford Centre

I love Nobes, but attending football games IS about the mavericks for me. When Payet was doing his thing before it went bandy, or Paolo being dramatic, or even the over-exaggerated Tevez spell.. I love watching them play.. We are a weird club in that we've had a large dose of our modern entertainment be based around the fact that Scott Parker and Mark Noble were not literally scared of a football when most of the lads around them were, or simply could not play football. But that sort of makes those mavericks even more joyous. Makes classier players even classier too.. I'll never forget the first time I saw Alex Song standout for us in the flesh - Not just pass sideways or offer himself for throw in duties, but actually control a game.

I'm not slagging MN off, but I'm in it coz of Gazza, not Steve Hodge.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

ironilunga wrote:
I am seriously concerned about the serotonin levels of this website.
Worthy contribution as ever.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

When I was a kid MOTD used to focus on the flicks and tricks of the likes of Frank Worthington , Tony Currie and Stan Bowles .

The likes of Emlyn Hughes or Alan Ball didn't feature much .Got loads of caps for England mind you .