Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Colours never run »

I also reckon Cullen would be his natural successor in the side in time once he's established, if we don't find someone else. He appears to play in much the same vein and I can imagine Noble and the Club taking him under their wing to learn the ropes the right way. But he's a long way off instantly replacing him, he'd still be his understudy in the squad and that works well by the looks of it.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I don't think it's good to keep changing positions, but from what I have seen this season at home on a big pitch I keep thinking there are games Kouyate with his pace will need to play at CB. Whether it's as a 2 or 3 CB partnership, he always looks very accomplished there.

Taking that into considering with DL's post, would be good to see a decent quality CM come in this summer.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

For me, we cannot consider playing Kouyate in any position other than smack bang in the middle. Noble is the second name on the sheet next to him then either Obiang or Lanzini in there with them depending on how attacking we are going to be that day.

At the very least there is another season in our skipper as a starter.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

I think Obiang is Noble's direct replacement, Cheik the combative box2box physical presence & Lanzini/Fernandes are Playmakers. Noble becomes redundent with these four, but can be a rotator, with injury, suspensions & game management.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

brooking1966 wrote:I think Obiang is Noble's direct replacement, Cheik the combative box2box physical presence & Lanzini/Fernandes are Playmakers. Noble becomes redundent with these four, but can be a rotator, with injury, suspensions & game management.
This. I just don't see Obiang and Noble as a pair and Obiang is our best midfielder. Noble would still get plenty of minutes.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

We need a defensive midfielder in the Kante or Matic mould. At the moment all of our midfielders tend to go forward and leave us wide open. I think we hoped Nordtveit would be that man but unfortunately he hasn't stepped up to the plate.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Until we get a better passer of the ball into the team in the Summer, Nobes will be back starting again as he's miles ahead of his peers challenging in that position. The fact he's a great club captain compounds that and makes it an easy choice. The players themselves have said they are more comfortable when he's in the team according to the manager.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

wizzo_66 wrote:Until we get a better passer of the ball into the team in the Summer, Nobes will be back starting again as he's miles ahead of his peers challenging in that position. The fact he's a great club captain compounds that and makes it an easy choice. The players themselves have said they are more comfortable when he's in the team according to the manager.
Averages nearly 48 passes a match at 86%. Mind you, Lanzini has averaged 45 at 87% this season!

My biggest problem with Noble will always be his lack of pace. Barely recovers from mistakes and leads to a fair few lunged tackles! Does make us tick though.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Last season after watching Noble in the first few games preseason and up to the first couple of league matches I said that he looked knackered and I thought there was something not right about him.

He had a poor season form wise and when he went for the operation on his abdomen I was hoping that this might have been the cause of his below standard performances.

Looking at the pictures of him training now I can see a fitter and leaner Noble who I think will perform more like his old self this year.

He will have to up his game with the competition for places now a bit better and I am calling it early that he is going to show a big improvement on last season.

I hope I am right.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

so do i mate - he is mr west ham
Pulls up Trees
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

2015/16 Noble - Yes.
2016/17 Noble - No.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by fester »

I know it was only basically non-league opposition last night, but he looked really bright in the 45mins last night. Both Nobes and Lanzini almost looked like they were fully up to speed and touch. Fingers crossed :crest:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

nobes will start the season as kouyate is now injured . I think we will see a much better level from him this season however we need another DM as we only have 3 players for the two positions before injuries and suspensions kick in. As we know we ar down to two already before we start. Cullen is nearly ther but untested so I think we need another player to come in, Lemina ?

I expects the following at man utd

Hart
zabaleta reid ogbonna masuaka
obiang noble
antonio lanzini arnatovic
hernandez

subs adrian cresswell fonte cullen quinna fernadez gray martinez

1-0 hammers hernandez !
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1979 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:he is mr west ham
This line makes me cringe every time I read it. :oops:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:he is mr west ham
This line makes me cringe every time I read it. :oops:[/quote]

Quite a lot makes me cringe even more on KUMB these days lol! just take a tablet & have a rest, you will be okay.
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Pulls up Trees wrote:2015/16 Noble - Yes.
2016/17 Noble - No.
Is that the Noble that had Adrian as his goalkeeper, a flexible back 4 operating with Cresswell bombing forward protected by Tomkins, Reid and Ogbonna, a fully flying Payet and Lanzini and Kouyate to feed with his passing, plus Antonio, Carroll and Victor Moses on top form?

Compared with the Noble with a duff goalkeeper in Randolph, an ever changing back 4 with no settled fullbacks, Kouyate losing his head and needing dropping for Obiang, No Victor Moses, Payet stropping and leaving, times with Nordtveit in the side and at times Zaza and Calleri leading the line? Thrown in with a new stadium move?

We can all point fingers for last season and the players collectively have to take responsibility but Noble is and always will be a scapegoat for some. He certainly didn't deserve the criticism he got at times last year and still makes me chuckle that he is left out of starting lineups for the dubious pairing of Kouyate and Obiang.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

At least having the headless chicken out injured makes the first team selection easier for Bilic. Noble still has an important to play, he's still a very decent, top 10 level, central midfielder.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I think Noble is a good player on his day, and ok most of the time. I'd probably have him in ahead of Kouyate although in a perfect world we'd have brought in a quality defensive midfielder better than both of them. A defensive midfield pair of Obiang plus 1 other defensive midfielder is the only way we'll get away with playing 4-2-3-1 whilst still being fairly solid defensively. For games against the top 6 or 7, I'd perhaps shift to 4-3-2-1 and add Noble or Kouyate back into the side.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Supported Man Utd till he was about 13
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

wizzo_66 wrote: Is that the Noble that had Adrian as his goalkeeper, a flexible back 4 operating with Cresswell bombing forward protected by Tomkins, Reid and Ogbonna, a fully flying Payet and Lanzini and Kouyate to feed with his passing, plus Antonio, Carroll and Victor Moses on top form?

Compared with the Noble with a duff goalkeeper in Randolph, an ever changing back 4 with no settled fullbacks, Kouyate losing his head and needing dropping for Obiang, No Victor Moses, Payet stropping and leaving, times with Nordtveit in the side and at times Zaza and Calleri leading the line? Thrown in with a new stadium move?

We can all point fingers for last season and the players collectively have to take responsibility but Noble is and always will be a scapegoat for some. He certainly didn't deserve the criticism he got at times last year and still makes me chuckle that he is left out of starting lineups for the dubious pairing of Kouyate and Obiang.
To be fair, you could pull out an array of reasons like that to explain all our poor performing players last season.