Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 pm

have those two ever played together as the '2', with a decent RB in place?
I am sure they have, just not sure when
Tbf I am advocating Noble for the team because of what he brings from an experience, determination and grit perspective as much as his actual output on the field
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Pop Robson on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:29 pm

2nd Top Scorer with 19 goals since we got promoted, Mark Noble

1st Andy Carroll 30 goals
Pop Robson

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 am

I'd love to see a "stick or twist" from Kumb on the future of Noble.

The tide seems to have seriously turned on Mark since the start of the season.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby HammerAl on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 am

Pop Robson wrote:2nd Top Scorer with 19 goals since we got promoted, Mark Noble

1st Andy Carroll 30 goals

That is a terrifying stat!
HammerAl

Postby WoodgateHammer on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:05 pm

Stats, gotta love em....
WoodgateHammer

Postby MB on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 pm

That stat makes me cry!
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Gsbgsb on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 pm

How many of them were penalties? Striker taking the penalties and suddenly his goals record looks a lot better.
Gsbgsb

Postby sizza on Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Gsbgsb wrote:How many of them were penalties? Striker taking the penalties and suddenly his goals record looks a lot better.

9/18 goals since the 12/13 season have been penalties
sizza

Postby WoodgateHammer on Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:29 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:i just think for this game we need to go at them with power and pace up top.

Sorry CH, but i disagree here, if we want to go at them with pace, then Noble shouldn't be starting, he slows our game down....come on at the end to see the game out yes, but not start.
WoodgateHammer

Postby brooking_1980 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:38 am

First time we won a League match minus Noble in around 12 attempts so that's a bad run ended.
brooking_1980

Postby dodger on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 am

brooking_1980 wrote:First time we won a League match minus Noble in around 12 attempts so that's a bad run ended.

:? No it isn't. In fact we won the last league match we played without him - 2-1 at Burnley.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby dodger on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 am

Colours never run wrote:That's why I've said for a while now its important we play with 3 in midfield which allows Obiang to sit more and protect the back line and sees a pass and makes it, Noble more licence to get higher up the pitch effecting play and Kouyate to be the legs in the middle. It's a nice balanced midfield trio that works to their strengths whilst taking into account their weaknesses.

Lots of problems with this idea.
1. Makes it difficult to ever play with three at the back.
2. We'd have to sacrifice one of our best attacking players (Lanzini, Antonio or Arnie) to get all three central midfielders in.
3. Noble cannot play a more advanced role as he offers little threat either creatively or in terms of scoring. He also just isn't quick enough or skillful enough to do it.

We saw the benefits today of having two athletic figures in central midfield today. Noble's number is up unfortunately, although I hope we use him late in matches sometimes to sure things up.
dodger

Postby kayahammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:15 am

Nobes played his socks off every week when he wanted to get in the squad for Euro 2016. Since he was overlooked he's not been the same player. Maybe a coincidence, or maybe not, but he seems to have lost half a yard of sharpness and his indecision at times is frustrating.

We all love Nobes and his loyalty to the club, but to me he is becoming a liability with his sideways and backwards tendencies.

Still an important member of the squad/team, but maybe because of his slowing he could be more of a sub to shore things up when we're winning by a single goal.
kayahammer

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 am

Still has a massive role to play, in terms of the squad, he is our leader!

But I struggle to see how he gets back into the starting 11 in the near future.

Hopefully it'll be a little kick up the backside and gentle reminder that he needs to up his game, same applies to the rest of the players left out, injured or suspended.
somerset-hammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:24 am

Looked pretty glum sitting in the stands last night. Obviously some of that would be down to being injured for a key match. Him, like us are struggling to see where he'll fit into this formation and team after last night.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby snooperpooper on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 am

If Bilic tries to shoe-horn him back in after the energy and passion and speed of that team last night then he really does need to go.

MN is now officially in the Nolan role for me, starter in lesser games to rest the first team, sub as required in bigger games, club captain and doing his badges in the interim.

Or a transfer out to Ipswich or Fulham in the January window.
snooperpooper

Postby miles on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47 am

An average 68 percent pass completion rate like yesterday will lead to disaster sooner or later. Once things have calmed down a little he must be straight back in the side.
miles
This site...

Postby bbhammer on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:00 am

miles wrote:An average 68 percent pass completion rate like yesterday will lead to disaster sooner or later. Once things have calmed down a little he must be straight back in the side.

Can't believe you didn't notice how much quicker we moved the ball about without him.

Great player,Legend yes but times caught up with him unfortunately
bbhammer

Postby dodger on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 am

miles wrote:An average 68 percent pass completion rate like yesterday will lead to disaster sooner or later. Once things have calmed down a little he must be straight back in the side.

Difficult to comprehend posts like this.

Last night we played considerably better, and for once we were not overrun in midfield. We didn't have pointless possession, in fact we had less possession but comfortably more chances. If we bring Noble back all that will happen is that the the pass completion will go up because of lots of passes backwards and sideways.

Let me put it more simply since you seem to like statistics. Our last five league matches:
With Noble: Won 0, lost 3. Without Noble: Won 2, lost 0.
How about we at least see how it goes without him for a while? If we are crap in central midfield and he comes back and does great good for him, but at the moment I really can't believe some people still want to shoehorn him straight back in after a perfectly good performance without him.
dodger

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 am

snooperpooper wrote:
Or a transfer out to Ipswich or Fulham in the January window.

Not our Mark. Yes he is at that stage when his better days are behind him but he deserves better than being cast aside in the January window. Mark Noble should never leave our club and hopefully will be part of the coaching staff in the future and who knows, one day he may be our Manager.
Chicken Run Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion