Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

AndyCarrollsBarber

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend ?

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

Loyal, dedicated, passionate... If that's enough to make him a legend in some people's eyes then fair enough. However in my eyes it's more about ability and influence on a match.

Personally I don't rate him. Sure he puts the work in, but when I think of Mark Noble's game I think of over hit passes, terrible corners and really bad tackling in areas that quite often cost us.

There are maybe 3 or 4 other teams in the Premier Leauge who would have him in their side... Much like the rest of our squad at the moment.
dt64
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by dt64 »

So you can only be a legend if you're also a great player?

Mark is a legend, he has stayed through all of the **** times and always put a shift in, the bloke bleeds claret and blue, what more do you want?

It was only just being discussed on the podcast that all we ask for is effort, well look no further than Noble.

He is a better player than he gets credit for, when he was playing with Tevez he was one of our best players.
I wouldnt be too upset if we took the number 6 out of retirement and gave it to Mark.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

He is the heartbeat. Loyal and gutsy. Not the greatest to pull on the shirt, but he does it with pride and I reckon he'll be long remembered

(unless he leaves us, the he'll be scum :lol: )
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

dt64 wrote:So you can only be a legend if you're also a great player?

Mark is a legend, he has stayed through all of the **** times and always put a shift in, the bloke bleeds claret and blue, what more do you want?

It was only just being discussed on the podcast that all we ask for is effort, well look no further than Noble.

He is a better player than he gets credit for, when he was playing with Tevez he was one of our best players.
I wouldnt be too upset if we took the number 6 out of retirement and gave it to Mark.
Agree with this .

I wonder if Ravel could play that Tevez role to bring out the best in Mark Noble .
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: He'd benefit hugely too, with quality players alongside him, players to shield him, let him play.
That's the key to him imo
He needs decent players around him, and he needs a solid, energetic partner.
His best stuff for us imo has been when he had NRC alongside him in the great escape season, and more recently, last season when Diame partnered him. He needs that type of player alongside him, to cover his weaknesses, and allow him to play to his strengths.

Not wishing to sound like a broken record, but one of the major factors in our poor form this season is that Sam has decided to play Diame pretty much anywhere but alongside Nobes. I see Noble as being of the Xavi Alonso type. You wouldn't stick Alonso in front of the back 4, and expect him to sheild them by himself. Yet if he has an all-action type of DM alongside him, he can excel in that deep CM role

Sure, he might not be of the same quality as the likes of Lampard & Carrick, but he's been an excellent servant to the club, and long may it continue
nobby123

Post by nobby123 »

sorry not a legend just because he is local lad,not a bad player, when was the last time you see him pass a ball more than ten yards just goes round and round than plays a pass to some ones who's about 2 foot away,carnt take a decent corner or free kick
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

nobby123 wrote:sorry not a legend just because he is local lad,not a bad player, when was the last time you see him pass a ball more than ten yards just goes round and round than plays a pass to some ones who's about 2 foot away,carnt take a decent corner or free kick

If you took your White stick to matches,you'd find people would describe the action...
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

West Ham Matt wrote:Two promotions, and just losing a Fa Cup final?

I love Mark, top player for my money and would look a lot better surrounded by good players. Him Carrick and Ravel would be a lovely midfield :cry:
It would get rinsed every week.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

London Hammer wrote:Noble is a good passer and a has been a great servant to the club. My only criticisms of him are that he doesn't score enough goals from open play, and his set pieces are often poor.
He's always to busy trying to clear up other peoples mess...He should be used further up the pitch but he is the only one in our side who is capable of picking the ball up from the back (when they're not hoofing it) and starting some play.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

He needs a Makelele type player to protect him . Diame plays too far up the field or on the effing wing to be that player , a younger Scott Parker , though I thought Noble's game suffered when he was here .
Someone who can tackle but doesn't want to be Player Of The Year , someone who will stick to his job .
A Dailly or a Lomas but better .
I think Noble's game suffers because he plays a sweeper type role while having to be a Makelele at the same time therefore giving away stupid free kicks on the edge of the area too much .
Maybe Nolan could be our man but ideally Tiote from Newcastle . Have we got a spare £15-20m ?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

I like him and hope he stays with us until he finishes as a player and then becomes part of the "back room team" here. Old school style.
COYI

Post by COYI »

In my eyes our best midfielder, in terms of consistency and reliability. Sure he has an off day or a run of poor form but for me he'd be my first pick in midfield.

As others have stated average Premier League midfielder. At the moment, at best we're an average PL team.

I hope he stays for the whole of his career.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 495 likes

Post by Denzil »

nobby123 wrote:sorry not a legend just because he is local lad,not a bad player, when was the last time you see him pass a ball more than ten yards just goes round and round than plays a pass to some ones who's about 2 foot away,carnt take a decent corner or free kick
I must have commented this season hundreds of times how impressed I am with Noble looking up from the centre of the park to the wing and pinging a 30-40 yarder to the flank. Sorry but what you have just said is complete nonsense mate. Granted, he does make a fair few short passes, but this allows for possession and a gentle build up. Rushed play will result in the opposition gaining the ball easily.

As I have said before, the best footballer at West Ham. If he moved to a bigger club, better players / coaches, there's not a great deal of doubt in my mind he would push for the England squad. Very underrated player.
Boleyn_Hammer
Has liked: 310 likes
Total likes: 214 likes

Post by Boleyn_Hammer »

Love the man, hope Nolan is stripped of the captaincy so Noble can take over the armband he fully deserves.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

I like it. Tongue in cheek but also sums up how positively many of us feel about him. Good lad. Hope he stays with us forever though as some have said for his own sake he could do better elsewhere. We'll see. Good luck to him.
Dynan1

Post by Dynan1 »

Is he not due a testimonaial by now?!?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Dynan1 wrote:Is he not due a testimonaial by now?!?
This popped up on another thread recently i think. It will be ten years this year or next year cant remember which.
Old Git

Post by Old Git »

I really can't see why people rate Noble. We were relegated and no-one came in for him for a reason. A group of us focused on Noble's every touch in quite a few games and all concluded that he was a hinderance to the team. Yes he is one of the top players for passing stats etc but as someone else stated... most of them are short passes that usually puts another player in trouble. He is too slow and pathetic at dead ball kicks other than penalties. I'd get rid of Noble and Nolan as both are not up to the standard of the Premiership.

West Ham through and through means absolutely nothing. It certainly doesn't make him a legend.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 417 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Old Git wrote:I really can't see why people rate Noble. We were relegated and no-one came in for him for a reason. A group of us focused on Noble's every touch in quite a few games and all concluded that he was a hinderance to the team. Yes he is one of the top players for passing stats etc but as someone else stated... most of them are short passes that usually puts another player in trouble. He is too slow and pathetic at dead ball kicks other than penalties. I'd get rid of Noble and Nolan as both are not up to the standard of the Premiership.

West Ham through and through means absolutely nothing. It certainly doesn't make him a legend.
Old Git living up to his username here!
FrostyLemon

Post by FrostyLemon »

The fact he's been playing for nearly ten years in our first team and every manager has wanted to keep him, tells me he must be a good player and not a 'liability'.