Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

StackerJJ

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by StackerJJ »

Tarbs wrote: Couldn't agree more. Obiang and Kouyate offer less than a pair of training cones. They appear to be wherever the ball isn't.

Noble showed how it's done in that second half last night by doing nothing but the basics.
Exactly, always be available, get the ball and look for your flair players. He did it so well with Payet and Lanzini a couple of years ago and he is now looking to do it with Arnie / Masuaku and Lanzini.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

Nice too see there's still a place for him, Where he suffers and gets stick is when the opposition have pace through the middle and he ends up chasing shadows.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

If Noble is average it makes Kouyate under 4s level.

The best passer of the ball the club has had for donkeys. Put some pace and legs around him and let him do what he does, continually pick key passes for fun.

Just a shame we never really signed a proper enforcer to sit next to him.

N'Zonzi and Noble with Lanzini just ahead....yes please.

Also Rice - he's a centre back for me, and one of the first ones on the team sheet. Ogbonna made an excellent block last night but that masked a very poor performance positionally.

As for Reid, we all know he is comfortable on the the left side of a 2 - no good playing him on the right of a three!
Estuary
Has liked: 251 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Estuary »

A 49 mins of pure class.
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

Mark Noble has been pretty poor most of the last season and a half apart from some brief moments and I myself often doubted whether he still had it.

But last night he put in a real captains performance, came on, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and made a real difference. Shows he still can do it.

Just needs to continue.
lib2007
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by lib2007 »

A game changer last night. He came out on the pitch all guns blazing 10 minutes before the second half started. There's that thing - the man gives a **** about the club. No journeyman will give you that.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Georgee Paris wrote:Noble & Rice > obiang & Kouyate

I think we've had the centre midfield pairing answer all along. I can see Noble and Rice complimenting 1 another very well. Shame he's not a couple of years further in his development with a lot of experience already banked but still, I'd try those 2 together and see how they get on.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

There is no doubt we are a better side with him in the team, i cannot cope with Kouyate and Obiang as a pairing, it is atrocious :lol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

essexguy wrote:Mark Noble has been pretty poor most of the last season and a half apart from some brief moments and I myself often doubted whether he still had it.

But last night he put in a real captains performance, came on, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and made a real difference. Shows he still can do it.

Just needs to continue.

He's actually been 1 of our best players this season weirdly enough. When you break down each game you'll realise he's been surrounded by a sea of **** as he continued to pass with precision, creating decent chances for others, covering the most amount of grass game in game out. He can't do it alone though and needed the likes of Arnautovic to step up and be counted and he's now doing that. Those players have been few and far between though and as such, Noble gets dragged down to everyone else's perceived levels although it rarely felt like that to me watching him this season.

Last season for the most part, I would agree with you and did see a player struggling to adapt to the new surroundings, Payet going off track and it all looked like it was getting too much for him to maintain the kind of good consistent level I'd normally associate with him.
Colours never run

Thought he was poor tonight. Wasteful in possession and certainly didn't do enough to try stopping the goal closing the player down. It still looks better with him in the side even when he's not quite on it though wh8ch is important with regards how the team plays. He has thus air of composure which is infectious on the others around him.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by fester »

Colours never run wrote:Thought he was poor tonight. Wasteful in possession and certainly didn't do enough to try stopping the goal closing the player down. It still looks better with him in the side even when he's not quite on it though wh8ch is important with regards how the team plays. He has thus air of composure which is infectious on the others around him.
Didn't really notice him being poor. No doubt he made a few mistakes, but that's what happens when you're under the cosh. I do appreciate you're not really slating him though. If anything, he does appear to bring the best out of Obiang.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

I thought noble, rice and oggy were superb. Yes he could have maybe shut down Son with a bit more gusto but it was a great strike
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Whenever I see him come away from a game against this lot I always think of him on his knees in tears in the 2:3 defeat a decade ago.

Just brilliant seeing him prove the snipers wrong time and time again :thup:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Noble and Rice, we had more academy players starting today than them and boy did they play well
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 2912 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:the snipers

Chuffing Nora Doc, last time we played this lot they had piss throwers have a go at you , now they have snipers ?

Noble decent again tonight .
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hope your back's not too bad PP.

No piss tonight, but lots of sour grapes on the way back to the station which was great to hear.
Colours never run

Hmm maybe it was just me that noticed he allowed 2 players to run past him into the box switching off, continually gifting the ball away cheaply and indeed standing off for a free shot at goal then. Obviously I love what he's all about and generally value hus contribution to the team but even I thought he weren't at the races yesterday. It happens though and I'm sure he'll soon be back on it. And I'd also sooner have him in the side than not, that is for sure.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Colours never run wrote:Thought he was poor tonight.....Wasteful in possession
ha ha ha ....are you serious? What game were you watching? Got any stats to back that up at all?

Noble makes Obiang look a better player. He gives almost the whole team an outlet for the ball. Most of our lot are poor in possession and lack confidence on the ball. When Noble plays, he is always there, giving his team the little pass option that makes them look and feel that little bit better themselves. It is infectious and you will find we tend to do better results wise with him than without him.

Having said all that, even he can't do too much for Kouyate at the moment though.

Poor and wasteful....not Noble - not in that game.
Colours never run

Calm yourself down. Yes deadly serious and the evidence I needed was with my own eyes and you're welcome to watch it back if you're unsure. I found him wasteful in possession the rare times we did have the ball as well as making some poor decisions when he did have the ball passing it to others in bad situations. Because I have high standards of what Noble is usually good at, I'll be occasionally critical of him if I think he drops below that level and thought that happened last night. That might come across as being harsh but I do try to assess his game as objectively as possible if I'm also to pull up others for making similar mistakes. Had Kouyate switched off for example I would have been very criticial of him too as I have done many times before.

Don't mistake me for someone who doesn't usually see the good he does as I'm 1 of his biggest backers on here but I honestly didn't think he was good and I'd be lying if I said he was.

Like you I would sooner see him ahead of Kouyate in the middle but then I've been saying that since time immemorial. Noble deserves to have much better midfielders around him so he can truly flourish ie Payet and Lanzini. What i would have given to see Wilshere alongside him in the middle. Surely Arsenal will now give in to Wilshere after recent performances and offer a much better contract because if not I'd dearly love us to go in for him with a serious offer. It woukd mean everything for us in the middle.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Blimey CNR, not sure where you are in the world but its gone 4 am in the UK!

I think sometimes our eyes can deceive us and we see what we want to see. A lot of people criticise Noble because they pick up on the few times when he does lose possession and seem to remember that.

You used the words poor and wasteful. It's all about opinions obviously. Out of our 11 players on the field, I can't possibly see how he was poor last night. Far from it in my view. I think he gave a good captains performance for a side up against it and playing mostly without the ball. I think he gave a good performance especially compared with the other players in his team on the pitch. I think he was mostly there on hand to help others play the short pass when they were in trouble.

And wasteful? I checked out a stats site. It seems he was only bettered by Lanzini and Masuaku in his distribution. That surprises me, but goes to show. I remember Arthur giving stray passes and getting caught, and obviously Lanziini lost out for the equaliser.

Like I say, its all about opinions, and in mine, I can't see that Noble was poor and wasteful.