Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Colours never run »

If I only wanted to see what I want to see, I'd only see the good in Noble.. I can't say that on this occasion as I did see him make wrong decisions, misplaced passing (by your own admission he gave possession away more than Masuaku so it wasn't exactly 1 of his best passing performances), made a bad challenge receiving a just yellow, offered nothing at all going forward, switching off tracking players running past him (Alli I think was 1 of them 1st half) into the box and backed off Son who hit the equaliser. So adding it all up, I do think it's fair to say he was poor and wasteful at times. I'm not just saying these things for the sake of it and am giving good examples as to what I saw.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Colours never run wrote:If I only wanted to see what I want to see, I'd only see the good in Noble.. I can't say that on this occasion as I did see him make wrong decisions, misplaced passing (by your own admission he gave possession away more than Masuaku so it wasn't exactly 1 of his best passing performances), made a bad challenge receiving a just yellow, offered nothing at all going forward, switching off tracking players running past him (Alli I think was 1 of them 1st half) into the box and backed off Son who hit the equaliser. So adding it all up, I do think it's fair to say he was poor and wasteful at times. I'm not just saying these things for the sake of it and am giving good examples as to what I saw.
Best effective coming on 2nd half with a full tank to manage the game is his forte imo. My problem with his passing is he doesn't give any angle/option after 1st pass like a 1-2, bounce pass, give n go, or fake go & stop 2nd & 3rd options. He tends to 'get rid' put others under pressure & give no further angle to receive a return pass. As Capt. I expect more responsibility on the ball rather than pass the buck backwards & hide from return. This is how the likes of slower players like Pirlo manage their space & control tempo, but MN either doesn't have the nous or not confident, brave or skilled enough to do it.

Over 90 mins MN is too easy to close down & run in behind unless he's played in a 5 man midfield. He runs a lot ineffectively chasing shadows while pointing at others to mark up while standing in 10yds of space. :eh: We can't effectively press/trap as a team with MN in it, sitting back conceding possession 75% & praying for luck on counters is getting booooring. As West Ham Capt. at home against Spurs our main rivals turning your back on Son was embarassing for all this Mr West Ham 'Legend' propaganda. I know many here including me would of blocked that with our face for the love of the shirt.

Give n goes over 5- 10yds will give him more time to think & space, but regularly he gives, but then seems to hide. rather than either dummy a go. I say all this not through any hate rather the frustration at the over hype & bias compared to others in the team. Tying him to Rice in convo as tandom, is sad & will be detrimental to Rice's development. Please let Rice be judged as his own man not to cover Mark's inadequacies, otherwise we'll have Rice chasing shadows hindering development.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1042 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

You don't know what you've got till it's gone

The last game and half for me he has shown what we were missing while he wasn't in the team. Obiang and Kouyate are different players alongside him but are shocking together without him. They need to be rotated...

We need an alternative to him when he isn't in there... or even a better version he can be rotated with. But it is so clear we miss him when he isn't there. Wilshire would actually have been perfect seeing what he is doing for Arsenal now... I get a feeling it's a job Rice could comfortably do for the rest of the season if we can't find the right player to come in

An underrated yet vital component of our team.
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 454 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I love the bloke. Lives and breathes West Ham. A team full of players with Mark Noble's commitment would be a very good team indeed!
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Absolutely out on his feet at the full time whistle. Blocks, tackles, charging down the ball, always trying to arrange his team mates into position.

Everything you wanted in a committed performance. He will start several more games before the season is out (baring injury). Reason so many managers one after another have picked him.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

brooking1966 wrote:]

Best effective coming on 2nd half with a full tank to manage the game is his forte imo. My problem with his passing is he doesn't give any angle/option after 1st pass like a 1-2, bounce pass, give n go, or fake go & stop 2nd & 3rd options. He tends to 'get rid' put others under pressure & give no further angle to receive a return pass. As Capt. I expect more responsibility on the ball rather than pass the buck backwards & hide from return. This is how the likes of slower players like Pirlo manage their space & control tempo, but MN either doesn't have the nous or not confident, brave or skilled enough to do it.

Over 90 mins MN is too easy to close down & run in behind unless he's played in a 5 man midfield. He runs a lot ineffectively chasing shadows while pointing at others to mark up while standing in 10yds of space. :eh: We can't effectively press/trap as a team with MN in it, sitting back conceding possession 75% & praying for luck on counters is getting booooring. As West Ham Capt. at home against Spurs our main rivals turning your back on Son was embarassing for all this Mr West Ham 'Legend' propaganda. I know many here including me would of blocked that with our face for the love of the shirt.

Give n goes over 5- 10yds will give him more time to think & space, but regularly he gives, but then seems to hide. rather than either dummy a go. I say all this not through any hate rather the frustration at the over hype & bias compared to others in the team. Tying him to Rice in convo as tandom, is sad & will be detrimental to Rice's development. Please let Rice be judged as his own man not to cover Mark's inadequacies, otherwise we'll have Rice chasing shadows hindering development.
There's so much wrong about your post its impossible to reply in less than 2,000 characters.

Hiding, hindering Rice's development, chasing shadows, pointing aimlessly, getting rid, not Pirlo??

I'm pleased you come onto this thread every now and again to vent against our skipper, it makes me realise how much it's worth going to the games rather than watching slow motion highlights and believing in the football fairies.
ludo22
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Give n goes over 5- 10yds will give him more time to think & space, but regularly he gives, but then seems to hide. rather than either dummy a go. I say all this not through any hate rather the frustration at the over hype & bias compared to others in the team. Tying him to Rice in convo as tandom, is sad & will be detrimental to Rice's development. Please let Rice be judged as his own man not to cover Mark's inadequacies, otherwise we'll have Rice chasing shadows hindering development.[/quote]

Bellend.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

brooking1966 wrote:Best effective coming on 2nd half with a full tank to manage the game is his forte imo. My problem with his passing is he doesn't give any angle/option after 1st pass like a 1-2, bounce pass, give n go, or fake go & stop 2nd & 3rd options....
Jesus christ, this is the worst post I've ever seen on the site, and that's saying something.
brothernero
Has liked: 706 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by brothernero »

@brooking1966

I have had a pretty rubbish day, but reading that tripe you posted about Noble has cheered me up quite a fair bit. Thank You. :lol:
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

The thing people tend not to notice is that Noble is always looking for the ball. He’s always giving his team mates and option even when the rest of the team are hiding.

It was especially evident in the Liverpool game, the only player who was looking for the ball, calling for it and providing an option was Noble. Our midfield is nothing without him.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

Apologies to those who haven't read the recent Spurs thread.

I would very much like to see a fight between Mark Noble and the poster who called him a coward for turning his back on a shot.

I don't think the fight would last very long.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

we must invest in a younger player who can dictate the play and recycle the ball, he won't be around forever.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

ryanrc wrote:we must invest in a younger player who can dictate the play and recycle the ball, he won't be around forever.

Which was my thinking behind nurturing Rice as that man. Maybe we don't need to invest big if we already have that player? I've been nothing but impressed with his ball retention, recycling the ball with ease and never affraid to show for the ball. He also has a natural instinct to protect his defence which comes naturally for him but he does have it in him to drive forward when he sees an opportunity. Definitely not the finished article of course but he has the attributes I'd like to see in a young promising DM. Noble would be the perfect teacher to guide him too as would Rice compliment his game by being more his legs.

I know there's also an understandable urge to play him at centre half which he can clearly also play, I just wonder whether had be better used in the heart of midfield. A lovely conundrum to deliberate some more on I think. Especially if we continue to fail finding that elusive midfielder that would make us tick along nicely.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Doc H Ball wrote:
There's so much wrong about your post its impossible to reply in less than 2,000 characters.

Hiding, hindering Rice's development, chasing shadows, pointing aimlessly, getting rid, not Pirlo??

I'm pleased you come onto this thread every now and again to vent against our skipper, it makes me realise how much it's worth going to the games rather than watching slow motion highlights and believing in the football fairies.[/quote]

Perspective, Doc you keep & value your opinion & I'll keep mine, you think i'm wrong & I think you are. 20+ posters backing you here don't make you right, or your opinion gospel. Message to you & yours, 'don't believe the hype' footy savants. Self-righteous, gang deluded mentality judging differing opinion, posting so much you brainwashing yourselves not me. Hate to burst your bubble, but your opinion is in the minority to the many whu fans & others I speak to about MN. Here if he had a 5/10 game it becomes 7/10, others are the reason he plays poorly (weak). More pointedly other players get lambasted for the slightest mistake Mas, Oggy, Antonio, Ayew, etc. preferential deluded bias is what I call it.

Basically, I don't see the same great player or Legend on the pitch you do. I see a devoted clubman whose ability is 6/10, but becomes 8/10 to fans holding on to dreams rather than reality. You say 'so much wrong' in my post, explain specifically what some 'wrong points' are instead of talking bout fairies Jemmima. On that note I'm not allowed to say he bottled the block on Son! haha wow even Payet got it in the neck for turning his back in the wall. He did it as our capt.end of game against Spurs at Wembley (big game) we needed him to step up, he had plenty time.

Noble doesn't do short progressive combinations ala Lanzini, OB1, Ayew, Marco, Mas or cress. His 'Give & Goes' are more like Give n Watch or Give n Hide, stuck in mud much or what? Don't overhype showing for the ball when 90% of the time he gets it he's negative sideways or back passing the buck. Same liability on defense either constanlty passing players on who run off him or his inability to get tight man 2 man. We are always forced to play zone with MN starting, we can't press, which leads to low team possession & in our half parked bus mentality. I won;t mention his diving under pressure because it's 1 of his better skills.

Showing for the ball is one thing, but then why not lay it off & cleverly dart 5-10yrds to create space & options for the team mate you passed to. You know basic short tandem combination play with midfield & forwards developing through the lines, rather than negative passes constantly putting defenders on the back foot to lump it. Please be fearless & take responsibility as Capt. seems scared to make a mistake unlike OB1.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

We're too sentimental.
Who gives a f*** if the players arent home grown or the manager doesn't "get us"?
Its about what you do that counts.
Brooking 1966 is totally on the money.
I like Noble but he's not a top drawer player he's just about average.
West Ham Utd are barely average.
Until we escape the sentimenatal side we'll always be bang average (at best) but maybe thats what we want?
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 351 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

There are two different conversations here.

In our current squad Noble is a must play. The Koyate/Obiang pairing is a disaster. I'd love to see a stat of results when those two play as a 2 in the middle, bet it is horrific. Personally I'm done with Koyate anyway, gone are the bursts of energy as he drives forward with the ball, now he just drifts around in his lackadaisical way letting players run past him and costing us goals. At least Noble/Obiang work together and provide a proper shield. You only had to watch Noble Thursday night to see him screaming and pointing to know he was making sure Moyes instructions were being followed. Even without the sentiment of him being a club legend in the making, he is a must starter in our current predicament.

Going forward, when we reach the promised land of the mythical "next level", then of course he will be sacrificed. The goals have dried up, he never had a killer pass and he was always just below international level. If we had an Eriksen or Kanté in our squad then he wouldn't be a starter, but until we do then he is the best we have.

Declan Rice is the future. He can play in a number of positions, but giving Noble's huge role to Rice is a burden too much for a kid at his stage.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

like it or not we have missed noble in the middle. he plays well with obiang .
rice should be played at his natural position that of a defender.

noble is an average player who has put in some good performances for us over the years. the fact we still need him shows you how poor our midfield is.
kouyate has gone as a player at the moment, although he provided cover for zab on Thursday.
we need a younger and better DM

rice and oxford are the future CBs surely.

Cullen needs to be given a chance in midfield. I doubt he is up to it but we need to make a decsision on him soon.

in the meantime I am happy to see nobes back out there, as we need him.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The reality is West Ham are Mark Noble's level. People need to realise that there is no next level. It's a myth lapped up by the naive.

It doesn't matter how big the stadium is or who the owners are, success for West Ham is just above a mid table finish and 6th round in the cup once a decade. We will flirt with relegation on a more regular basis, buy some absolute lemons but on the upside we'll turn over a couple of the "big" side in a season.

As this is our lot, we should be grateful and celebrate players like Mark Noble.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

RichieRiv wrote:The reality is West Ham are Mark Noble's level. People need to realise that there is no next level. It's a myth lapped up by the naive.

It doesn't matter how big the stadium is or who the owners are, success for West Ham is just above a mid table finish and 6th round in the cup once a decade. We will flirt with relegation on a more regular basis, buy some absolute lemons but on the upside we'll turn over a couple of the "big" side in a season.

As this is our lot, we should be grateful and celebrate players like Mark Noble.
Spot on .

Sure, he's not getting any younger but frankly there are at least half a dozen positions in the starting XI that need an upgrade before him .

Seven West Ham United managers have had a look at him, and alternatives , and he still gets the nod .

Nothing to do with him being a local lad, simply because he's better than the alternatives .

13 seasons, undefeated .
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Bend it like Repka wrote:There are two different conversations here.
Good posting.