Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 2343 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Jumby wrote:In 2016 England were the weakest they'd been in central midfield for probably 40 years and Noble still couldn't get a call up despite being in the form of his life. It's a real joke that he has never really ever been considered when you look at those that have.

If Noble is on top form for the last 15 games you want that, going into a major tournament, than a few bit part players from the top six, or Jake f**king Livermore.
2nd half of that season the squad was pretty much set for the Euros. Rightly or wrongly Hodgson had settled on it and not many new players called up. Drinkwater and Noble were vying for a call up in about February and Drinkwater got the nod.

If noble had had that same season in 2014/15 he woukd have got called up IMHO. Same if west ham and Nobke had started 2016/17 well with Allardyce in charge of England and new faces wanted. Unfortunately it was a train wreck at West Ham, we were **** and that scuppered that

He was probably next in line in 2016. Now, unfairly maybe, he is miles back in the queue. Southgate has proved he woukd rather call up the youngsters, and that is the best option IMHO
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Kids are getting a chance when they haven't done it at club level, that is something I find very strange and hard to digest. A seasoned pro can have a decent season for his club and not get a look in and yet a kid can play a few games for Liverpool, mainly off of the bench, and get a call up. However you dress it up, to me that just isn't right.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 933 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Jumby wrote:Kids are getting a chance when they haven't done it at club level, that is something I find very strange and hard to digest. A seasoned pro can have a decent season for his club and not get a look in and yet a kid can play a few games for Liverpool, mainly off of the bench, and get a call up. However you dress it up, to me that just isn't right.
The england team can't do wrong for doing right.. out of the teams who have won the tournaments recently they all came through the u20s.. u21s etc together

so england try this... problem is english players stutter and fail to live up to their once promising talent

they try calling up on form but then they dont gel at all with the others because they are outsiders to the group

take the "class of 2009" the under 21s our own Mark Noble led to the euro u21 final

Scott Loach... 2 calls up for england.. in the lower leagues now

Martin Cranie .. 0 calls up for england-- with huddersfield now

Micah Richards 13 caps... tipped to be a huge player for club and country.. hes 29 and stuck playing for villa when premier league clubs need defenders

Nedum Onuoha 0 caps for england... played most of his career for QPR

Kieran Gibbs 10 caps for england.. now at west brom

Fabrice Muamba 0 caps.. harsh to say anything bad after what happened to him.. retired

Lee Cattermole 0 caps... still at sunderland

Mark Noble 0 caps... still with us.. performing well in the league again

James Milner 61 caps .. most successful by far of the lot... despite being captain boring

Adam Johnson 12 caps.. enjoying a holiday on behalf of her Maj

Theo Walcott 47 caps.. finally had the balls to leave arsenal and try to save his career.. always failed to live up to the hype

whilst most are house hold names very few world beaters......

the current crop who are champs of the world in u17s or whatever.. i doubt if even 2 of them will make it
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

100% you and me both, Jumby.
Crouchend_Hammer

personally I have no problem with Southgate calling up a few youngsters now and again. That seems to be the strategy. Keep a nucleus of a squad and then add the youngsters in. It is kot as though he has called up complete randoms. All have played in successful age group teams and have been playing in the Premier league.

We have been crap for years so tryiing something else is no bad thing

There are still opportunities for older players as shown by Jack Cork this season

Noble would have got a cap under southgate if he has been manager a couple Ov years ago. Of that I am sure

The main problem is that the big clubs now have complete dominance over all the best young players, which is different to a couple of years ago
hammers92
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I agree with the above, Southgate’s mindset as England manager is completely different to what we’ve had in the last 20 years or so and Noble would’ve had a cap by now had he been manager for the last few seasons. There’s a friendly in March and it’ll be Southgate’s last chance to see any players or take a last look at those he’s unsure about. This friendly always has pull outs for big players as to the timing of it and if Noble keeps his form up I wouldn’t put it past Southgate to go for it and pick him. He needs to get everyone talking about him and not just West Ham fans.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Pie and mash and a parsley sauce called liquor was first served in the 1860s in Victorian London. It seems as if Mark Noble has been playing for West Ham almost that long.

As with all local players who feel the highs and lows of the dressing room more than most, Noble has gone through it this season. He is still only 30, although there were times earlier in this campaign when he carried such a burden that he looked older.

Now he looks as fresh as a daisy again, he is enjoying his football and, under manager David Moyes, the team is 11th and play Bournemouth at home on Saturday.

So it was in Brentwood, Essex, at Konch's Kafe (owned by former West Ham and England defender Paul Konchesky) that JAMIE REDKNAPP caught up with the West Ham captain this week. LEE CLAYTON listened in and tucked into the excellent pie and mash.

Redknapp: That was your 49th goal for West Ham in the 4-1 win at Huddersfield, but what was that celebration about and will you have something special for your 50th?

Noble: No! I'm not into all that. I just scored and, because I was the furthest up the pitch and because the crowd are quite close at Huddersfield, I got there quickly and there was nobody with me. So I just folded my arms. I didn't know what else to do!

Redknapp: It was good to see you smiling, but it hasn't always been that way. It's almost like you've had a whole career in one season. It started badly and the new signings didn't settle quickly, either.

Noble: You have to hit the ground running at West Ham. If you don't, suddenly from the fans it's, 'You're not good enough to play for our football club'. Even Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano had that when they were here.

That's what it is like. You can win them over, though. When you do, the West Ham fans can make you feel like you are the best player in the world. But they will not give that to you. You have to earn it.

Redknapp: Like Marko Arnautovic. Did you speak to him?

Noble: Yes, of course. I'm the captain. It's my job. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Marko. I'm not taking any credit for his turn-around because he has done that. He's a top player. He's won them over.

His work-rate is incredible. If you know Marko, he talks a lot, he has his swagger, but he's such a nice fella. I used to row with him when we played Stoke.

We were losing and he was rolling his foot across the ball, doing the rabonas, the lot. I wiped him out on purpose and then I pulled him up by his hair. He stood up… he looked about 6ft 5in! I was like a 12-year-old next to him.

We joke about it now. Like Manuel Lanzini, these are the players who make a difference. They are such good players. They are on the same wavelength, like Silva and De Bruyne at Man City, Ozil and Sanchez at Arsenal.

Redknapp: You lost Payet last season. That left a hangover.

Noble: Technically incredible, the moments he gave us all in that last season at the Boleyn, incredible. He made everyone a better player. When you don't have that player, of course it leaves a hole.

Redknapp: You had a lot of respect for Slaven Bilic, but sometimes you need a change, a different voice.

Noble: We had two and a half unbelievable seasons together and he is a proper gentleman. I wanted it to work for him so much.

I was trying so much, I was getting myself out of position because I wanted to make things happen. I was over-trying. But we all know what happens if you don't win games.

Redknapp: David Moyes has come in and done a good job. What was the feeling when he got the job?

Noble: Sorry if this sounds like a cliche, but we really needed to get back to basics. We needed to defend. To stop conceding and be organised.

We had a meeting, we talked it through. He said: 'Don't moan at me in two months' time if we spend time working on shape, on being organised'. I think you can see the benefits of that. Boring is the new black!

Redknapp: I hate it when new managers say a team isn't fit. But you looked off the pace.

Noble: We were fit. Unless you are a terrible professional, you are fit. But there is a next level of Premier League fitness.

I watch a lot of football and you hardly ever see Premier League players go down with cramp. The fitness, the intensity of Premier League football is phenomenal.

If eight of you are on it, you lose. You need all of you, every one of you, on it. If you are not, this manager will tell you.

His communication is excellent, consistent. The players know. His attention to detail is first class. And he has a good squad to work with here. Professionals, players with skill, athletes…

Redknapp: The team look in good shape. There was a period of time when that wasn't the case.

Noble: That all comes because of confidence within the team. You're right. We were all over the place. You know the feeling when you come off and you think, 'I couldn't even get close enough today to make a tackle'.

The ball moves so quick in this league. When it comes naturally, it works, but when you have to take a touch and then think, it's gone.

I use the example of Fernando Torres. At Liverpool, unplayable. He goes to Chelsea, it's the same geezer, same athlete, same person, but the confidence is gone and it's different.

When you've played well, it's like auto-pilot. When you are not doing that, your head feels like it will explode.

Redknapp: Do you feel it more because you are the local boy?

Noble: I hate for people to think that I have only played for West Ham because I am the local lad and people make allowances for me.

So every day, I work hard. I was 12, I think, when I used to watch Frank Lampard putting his spikes on and doing sprints at the training ground.

And then me and my mate, we'd take a bus from East London to Essex, take our own ball, play for five or six hours, just messing around with the ball.

I remember seeing Paolo Di Canio coming in on a day off with his own fitness coach… those memories stay with me. The hunger of those players to be the best.

I still get nervous before every single training session. Even now. No word of a lie. It will never change. It's inside me. I want to be the best player in training every day.

When we get to the 5-a-side, I want to be the best player there. I'm honest enough to know that might not always happen!

When you have players like Manuel, Marko, Dimitri Payet, Carlos Tevez, that is not going to happen because they are the best.

Redknapp: It's not easier for you, it's harder for you. You carry the weight of expectation of the fans. You are one of them.

Noble: I have an inner desire. You've got to have the ability, but 90 per cent of the game now at the top level is the mental side. Coping with being booed, dealing with not winning every week and the impact it has on you.

Jamie, I was thinking about this the other day. In my career, adding up the days I have actually enjoyed it between the ages of 17 and 30, they total about six months. I'll be honest and say that. Out of 13 years.

I've had some unbelievable times, but the week-to-week games, if we don't win… it ruins me. If we do win, I spend the next week worrying about how we can win again. I've never been able to relax and enjoy it. I have a fear of failure.

My wife, Carley, will say that I have to relax a bit. It has changed a little since we've had the kids, but you worry about the results, you care about how you play. You feel it because it's your club.

The thing I will never do here is hide from that. I am doing what I always wanted to do. I am captain of West Ham. It means everything to me.

Redknapp: Who are the best you have played with in your time here?

Noble: Teddy Sheringham was amazing. You would give him the ball and his pass back was so good, it didn't just come to feet, it hit the middle stripe of your adidas boot!

Carlos Tevez came in and I scored six goals — he set up all six! And then there was Payet. On the field, in training, he was so good.

Redknapp: West Ham could be busy in this transfer window… does that bother you?

Noble: I want West Ham to buy the best players. I want them to spend £50million on a central midfielder. Yeah. bring it on.

I want West Ham to do well. For the fans, the chef, for Shirley in the kitchen, who was here when your dad was manager, for Jimmy Frith who comes in to help the coaches every day, keeps things ticking over and has been doing so since John Lyall brought him in.

I've known these people since I first came to the club. I want the very best for this club. I make sure, out of the players' bonus, every staff member shares in that bonus. We can't do it without them.

Redknapp: When I hear you talking about what the club means to you, it sounds like you might want to be the manager here one day.

Noble: I'm really not convinced I want to be a manager at all. Managers are just wide open to abuse.

I was managed by Gianfranco Zola, who played at the highest level. No matter how good he was as a player, lose three games and it's 'get him out'. Do I need that? You don't!

Alan Shearer had one go at Newcastle, got relegated and thought he'd sit and comment on the TV, like you. When the Nottingham Forest job came up they had 75 applicants.

Teddy Sheringham gets one go at Stevenage and now he's managing in India. That's Teddy, one of the top players.

Redknapp: Finally, the pie and mash… it's good. My dad loves it. The full works. Jellied eels. But you can't have too much of it, us athletes!

Noble: I have the pie, the liquor, but no mash. My dad has it once a week, I have to keep it to the occasional treat.

We've beaten Huddersfield 4-1, we're through to the fourth round of the FA Cup, but we have to be at it every game — three of the bottom 11 can still go down. We have to make sure we are not in that group.

Jamie, you invited me, how could I say no?

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The over riding sense I get from that interview is that he cares too much about our Club, which I've often thought about in the past. I actually believe he's have been a better player with much less of the pressure and burden he places on his shoulders and can play a more natural game. Having said that, I and I'm sure he'd agree I still wouldn't have it any other way because we would have missed out greatly from his passion, ability and drive for this Club.

Lucky to have him. :crest:
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 202 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

Lucky to have him and great to see him back to his best.

Very easy to dismiss how important having a senior, local-born player is - maintaining that link to the fans and having that player able to give that insight back to his teammates who may not be familiar with the club and all that is about is crucial I think.

Mainly for that reason I was keen to get Shelvey in, someone to carry the link when Noble inevitably has to leave or hang up his boots.
Crouchend_Hammer

That interview sums up everythin that is great about noble.

It will be a very sad day when he is no longer with us. I know a few pros and he is totally respected in the game
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Being the winning captain to lift a trophy in our colours gets him there. He bleeds and cares for the club and watching it’s demise under the clowns must be painful being on the inside...
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3635 likes
Total likes: 2319 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

If you read that and still don't get what the fella brings to out football club then you never will and should prolly go find another team....
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1305 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I've just had a premonition, he will score today.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1844 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Off the back of a little comment someone made in the transfer thread, I now want to see the number 6 shirt "unretired" for the remainder of Noble's West Ham career and given to him.

Great way for the board to win back a tiny amount of goodwill from the fans and would scrub the shame of the last player to wear it being Daisy Upson.
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Off the back of a little comment someone made in the transfer thread, I now want to see the number 6 shirt "unretired" for the remainder of Noble's West Ham career and given to him.

Great way for the board to win back a tiny amount of goodwill from the fans and would scrub the shame of the last player to wear it being Daisy Upson.
Great shout!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Just stick his shirt in the tumble dryer, the number one will likely fall off.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Off the back of a little comment someone made in the transfer thread, I now want to see the number 6 shirt "unretired" for the remainder of Noble's West Ham career and given to him.

Great idea :thup:

You probably need to find a way that Gold, Sullivan, Brady can line their own pockets if they are going to agree to it though
szola
Has liked: 584 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by szola »

Very good read, Danny.
Thanks for posting
:thup:
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Terrible idea re the No.6 shirt IMO and I think the board would actually get hammered by a lot of fans for it if they reinstated it (don't care about our history, disrespecting Moore's honour etc...).

Number 6 was Bobby Moore's number and the club decided to retire it in Bobby's honour.

I'm sure that even Noble would agree that it is a bad idea.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

sutts07 wrote:Terrible idea re the No.6 shirt IMO and I think the board would actually get hammered by a lot of fans for it if they reinstated it (don't care about our history, disrespecting Moore's honour etc...).

Number 6 was Bobby Moore's number and the club decided to retire it in Bobby's honour.

I'm sure that even Noble would agree that it is a bad idea.
this x2 - completely the wrong thing to do