Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The Sherriff wrote: Obiang and Fernandes were pathetic on Sunday but seem to be above blame.
tbf Obiang has been given a load of grief for his performance on Sunday (and rightly so, as he was rubbish)
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

I sometimes think that the ridiculously stick he gets its a bit like a Dad being over critical of his son, people expect better from him because he's West Ham through and through, how anyone can say he had a stinker on Sunday is beyond me. He was the only one in that midfield that didn't consistently give the ball away cheaply, he was knackered because he spent all of him game chasing back to tackle players after Fernandes and Obiang had passed the ball straight to them. I echo what other people have said, strange substitution that was surely down to a knock.

Any of my mates that support other teams (and aren't on the wind up) constantly say how good he is at keeping things ticking over. Sadly I think it might be a case of you don't know what you've got till it's gone with old Marky boy.
B'WoodBob

Post by B'WoodBob »

So Noble was dogshite and Rice was fantastic?

I thought Rice looked an able deputy for Noble and aside from one suicidal ball across the backline I thought he had a good game, just not as effective as Noble. It's great that we have a young un who can cover there but it's far from the end for Noble. when he gets match fit I'm expecting Noble to have a good season
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 522 likes
Total likes: 1317 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:he was knackered because he spent all of him game chasing back to tackle players
I think Noble had a higher top speed than any other player also which amazed me.

I think the article on Rice on whufc.com pointed out that if Rice's numbers had continued for 90 minutes he'd have covered the 2nd highest amount of ground of any player behind only Matic.

Quite interesting when it's displayed like that.
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I think the article on Rice on whufc.com pointed out that if Rice's numbers had continued for 90 minutes he'd have covered the 2nd highest amount of ground of any player behind only Matic.
The scary thing about that is, it wasn't even like he was doing the usual 18 year old trying to impress thing of running around like a headless chicken. We were so pedestrian on Sunday it's unreal. It's been covered on here enough, but we desperately need someone to do the dirty work for Noble/Obiang, whilst also being able to keep some kind of positional sense.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 313 likes
Total likes: 1087 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Nobles problem for a number of years is the role he plays imo. He isn't a defensive midfielder, it doesn't suit him or get the best from him. His game is picking a pass, he reads the game in a attacking sense far better than in a defensive one. He has also been hampered by playing the last number of seasons surrounded by players who can't play.

He was top class with Tevez and Benayoun, he was wasted not being linked more with Payet and Lanzini imo. I would love to see a way found to incorporate him further forward with Lanzini and Hernandez.

Sunday was a good example, at 0-0 hernandez made 3 runs off the back of the defence. Fernades didn't see it and passed backwards, Ayew didn't see it and attempted some sort of lobbed pass, Noble saw it and played the ball. With the squad we have, if we want the most out of Hernandez then Noble and Lanzini need to be on the ball as much as possible in the final 3rd.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Nobles problem for a number of years is the role he plays imo. He isn't a defensive midfielder, it doesn't suit him or get the best from him. His game is picking a pass, he reads the game in a attacking sense far better than in a defensive one. He has also been hampered by playing the last number of seasons surrounded by players who can't play.

He was top class with Tevez and Benayoun, he was wasted not being linked more with Payet and Lanzini imo. I would love to see a way found to incorporate him further forward with Lanzini and Hernandez.

Sunday was a good example, at 0-0 hernandez made 3 runs off the back of the defence. Fernades didn't see it and passed backwards, Ayew didn't see it and attempted some sort of lobbed pass, Noble saw it and played the ball. With the squad we have, if we want the most out of Hernandez then Noble and Lanzini need to be on the ball as much as possible in the final 3rd.
I think that's a great post as well, agree with all of that
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Nobles problem for a number of years is the role he plays imo. He isn't a defensive midfielder, it doesn't suit him or get the best from him. His game is picking a pass, he reads the game in a attacking sense far better than in a defensive one. He has also been hampered by playing the last number of seasons surrounded by players who can't play.

Take a bow son, absolutely spot on.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

Noble plays well, when there are good players in the line up.
He rarely can lift the team, apart from a crunching tackle here and there. He is good when the going gets tough.

He can pass, he cannot shoot.
He can tackle hard, he isn't good at intercepting.
He plays with determination, he is slow.

It really doesn't make a difference where in the midfield you put him, the modern football doesn't suit him. He will always be lacking a vital part of the game. That is why we have retained him, and not sold him to Arsenal, etc.
essexguy

Post by essexguy »

Up until last season Noble was always a consistant performer, with the 2015/2016 season probably being his best year in a west ham shirt performance wise.

Last year he was utter turd, just like the majority of the West Ham team.

I think its unfair to benchmark a players performance when everyone else around you is playing badly.
szola

Post by szola »

essexguy wrote:Up until last season Noble was always a consistant performer, with the 2015/2016 season probably being his best year in a west ham shirt performance wise.
No he wasn't. He has always had bad spells.
He is a very good professional though, and being picked by all the WH managers at his time at the club shows just that.

His lack of physical attributes though will force him out, sooner than later.
If he'd only scored goals, as Nolan did, or could shield the ball as some of the foreign playmakers can, he could have had a role in the team.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

Him and Zabaleta, are first names on the team sheet so far.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'd also chuck Hernandez name in with that an all.
szola

Post by szola »

And Hart, and Lanzini, and Arnautovic, and Reid, and Ogbonna, and Antonio

We don't really have much competition for places in the starting line up, at the moment.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

Colours never run wrote:I'd also chuck Hernandez name in with that an all.
Forgot about him!
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Colours never run wrote:I'd also chuck Hernandez name in with an all that .
Slav is that you :D
Pob!
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by Pob! »

ludo22 wrote: Really good analogy and one that Mark Noble shouldn't be ashamed of.Having said that,the treatment of Noble by some on here is disgraceful.This is a guy that bleeds claret and blue and we should always remember that.The fact he isn't Bonds,Brooking,Devonshire etc isn't his fault and his behaviour on and off the pitch is immaculate.We are lucky to have him.
I agree with you but when people compare him to Bonds its ridiculous because he will never be on the same page as Bill.
Like you say no shame in that.
Mark is a good player nothing more nothing less.
Let's not get carried away. :D
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

You are taking it so literal. No one is saying they are identical and Noble is as good as him, however there are some similarities which are comparable. But don't confuse it by people saying he's as good as he was, because that's not what was being said.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Some supporters would not have seen Bonds play live.

Noble is as much a hero/legend whatever for his generation.

If you're fortunate enough to have seen Bonds in the flesh then good for you. Many have to make do with footage.

If I run off a list of MY West Ham legends, Noble is in the top 6, easy.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

wizzo_66 wrote:Some supporters would not have seen Bonds play live.

Noble is as much a hero/legend whatever for his generation.

If you're fortunate enough to have seen Bonds in the flesh then good for you. Many have to make do with footage.

If I run off a list of MY West Ham legends, Noble is in the top 6, easy.
I often think that as I too never saw Bonds live. My heroes, growing up, were Dicks, Morley, Bishop, Ludo, Bilic, Harston, Di Canio and probably Lomas too, when I think about it. Mark Noble is the one player I identified with the most, as I got older, and he just so happened to be a very good player, at his peak one of the best I've ever seen in a Hammers shirt. He has also often been surrounded by utter dross, something that really doesn't help a player of his style.