Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by RichieRiv »

I don't think they believe that themselves. It was another tactic along with "spurs are going to play on your manor". But that's for a different thread.
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

I'd argue the main reason there's always an opposition player around Noble is that other teams know he's at the centre of all our possession based play as the only deep lying midfielder we have who is semi-competent at passing the football. Kouyate is afforded way more time on the ball because, while he can carry the ball up the pitch into space if allowed, he cannot pass water. Surround Noble with players who he can trust to give the ball to and occasionally receive it back and you see a much better player - such as last season and when he and Parker combined for a few years. Give him Kouyate, Nordveit, Snodgrass etc. and the end result is much less pleasing.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

fredjstanley wrote:I'd argue the main reason there's always an opposition player around Noble is that other teams know he's at the centre of all our possession based play as the only deep lying midfielder we have who is semi-competent at passing the football. Kouyate is afforded way more time on the ball because, while he can carry the ball up the pitch into space if allowed, he cannot pass water. Surround Noble with players who he can trust to give the ball to and occasionally receive it back and you see a much better player - such as last season and when he and Parker combined for a few years. Give him Kouyate, Nordveit, Snodgrass etc. and the end result is much less pleasing.

Every word of that, but especially the first bit. Opposition managers occasionally detail someone to close down Noble because they know if they do that successfully, it stops a lot of our build up play at source. Get Noble rattled then we lose composure and on the rare occasion it works. I'm expecting Alli to do that should Noble play on Friday as he's got pace and energy to burn. I'm not sure, but it's possibly one reason why Bilic likes Noble to roam a lot more around the pitch so he's not as easy to pick up and stop.

Like the old adage goes, if Noble has a bad game, the team also tends to have a bad game. Opposite applies though when he's bang on it.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

fredjstanley wrote:Kouyate is afforded way more time on the ball because, while he can carry the ball up the pitch into space if allowed, he cannot pass water.
Kouyate's afforded time because he can run the whole pitch & the opponents have to respect that box to box pace. Make all the excuses you want, but please stop blaming others for Nobles inadequacies. Good slow players can create their own time & space with nous. Noble often treats the ball like a hot potato & invariably passes the buck onto our defenders pressurizing them.

Bottom line MN is not good enough & too old to build a team around, so enough of trying to get players to compliment his limited game. Kouyate is a rare beast as Lanzini is our jewel they are both far better players to build a team around than Noble imo

If we have no threat of pace upfront I don't see how he can play without runners fast enough to find space in behind..
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

brooking1966 wrote:stop blaming others for Nobles inadequacies.
brooking1966 wrote:If we have no threat of pace upfront I don't see how he can play without runners fast enough to find space in behind..

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

That was impressive.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The state of it :lol:
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

I'd rather have Nobes pass back to a defender than Kouyate run 50 yards up field, give it away and then fail to track back.
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

I'd like to see kouyate run 50yds & score a screamer 1-0 Swansea.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Wouldn't we all. If it's supposed to be his forte, how comes he's rarely done it during his entire West Ham career playing centre midfield? He's had ample opportunity to try it but more often than not doesn't.

I suspect it's because he doesn't trust his technique enough, loses the ball or make the wrong decision when he gets in shooting distance. But sure, that one goal from distance against Swansea was a beauty. One swallow and all that..
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

One swallow? I think you'll see a few more as I rate him that highly. As for waiting for a swallow, when will Noble ever go beyond another player? Even a slow player should be able to dip a shoulder to create time & space.

Keep talking Kouyate down mate, you will eat your words,

Entire WHU Career :lol: 10yrs still waiting for your flower to blossom.
Colours never run

I ****ing rate Kouyate! :lol:

Just don't see him as this powerhouse charging forward confidently all the time lashing the ball home the way you'd like to belief is true.

Noble doesn't have to beat a man by dropping a shoulder as that clearly isn't his style, he'd much prefer to pass around them like he usually does - you know, like the time he instigated the Swansea goal that set the marauding Kouyate on his way. But you prefer to erase that kind of detail from memory as it doesn't suit your anti Noble narrative.
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

instigated? :lol:

I saw him pass the ball on to Snodders his weighted ball into Cheik's stride he burst pass a guy & smash a 25 yarder in the bottom corner. It wasn't fluke he meant it, there's goals in open play with Cheik, his presence causes havoc in their box, he's a mismatch for most. Don't underestimate the Swansea game was massive & Cheik produced, 1-0 thank the Lord Cheik believed he could do it. He's already proved his worth to me, I hope he stays here for the rest of his career.

Obiang/Cheik//Lanzini in the future please.
Colours never run

instigate
verb
bring about or initiate (an action or event).
synonyms: set in motion, put in motion, get under way, get going, get off the ground, get in operation, start, begin, initiate, launch, institute, lay the foundations of, lay the first stone of, sow the seeds of

Yep, instigate.

And much to your surprise, I too want Kouyate to end his playing days with us, as I rate him highly as both a versatile player and his outstanding character. I do believe he's a better Centre Half than a Midfielder though. However I'm not totally against him playing in midfield especially with 2 other central midfielders close to him mopping up his untidy stuff like losing possession or going AWOL altogether like he does far too often for my liking.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Are we going for the record how many pages we can reach? it is just batting a difference of opinion and seems to have gone off thread, there a lot worse players we could have discussions about currently, both playing and not for us, but it's the last few weeks of a disappointing season all round, time to get behind whoever Slav picks.
Jeffcoate321

Post by Jeffcoate321 »

For me, Noble and Obiang as the CM pairing. However I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading Noble in the summer IF we get the right player. Love Nobes but no player is irreplaceable and unfortunately for him I believe Obiang has more about him, both now and going forward - still young.

Kouyate is so well suited to playing CB, he should be there starting alongside Reid, or Reid and Ogbonna as a 3 if that's how we set up. I'd much rather replace him in the midfield and put him at CB.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

fredjstanley wrote:I'd argue the main reason there's always an opposition player around Noble is that other teams know he's at the centre of all our possession based play as the only deep lying midfielder we have who is semi-competent at passing the football.
I'd argue that a good reason to mark Noble is because he is slow. 8-)

He can't dribble out of a tight spot as Lanzini, he isn't strong enough to shield the ball as Song did.
He is also ideal to close down as he takes a few seconds longer on the ball as he should and thereby inviting pressure.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I've read people say that Noble is weak and Kouyate is strong, I've never agreed with either of those statements. Noble is a tough customer and he's strong in the standing tackle, Kouyate is a gangly tall bloke with a lot of energy and enthusiasm, but he's not particularly strong.
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

jaybs wrote:Are we going for the record how many pages we can reach? it is just batting a difference of opinion and seems to have gone off thread, there a lot worse players we could have discussions about currently, both playing and not for us, but it's the last few weeks of a disappointing season all round, time to get behind whoever Slav picks.
That is f*****g priceless!!!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

jaybs wrote:Are we going for the record how many pages we can reach? it is just batting a difference of opinion and seems to have gone off thread, there a lot worse players we could have discussions about currently, both playing and not for us, but it's the last few weeks of a disappointing season all round, time to get behind whoever Slav picks.
Apart from Andy Carroll eh? :lol: