Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by JLCABA »

Nail on head Sutts

:thup:
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Very hard to lay down bona fide criteria for who’s a legend and who isn’t and who’s accomplishments and service is equals to whoever else’s. It’s just kind of a feel thing for me.

I’m my head I see Noble not in the Moore, Brooking, Bonds, Greenwood, Lyall tier of legend. He’s never gonna have a stand named after him or be the iconic image if the club. I’d have him in the Steve Potts, Alvin Martin, Julian Dicks sort of status. Long term servants who provided a lot for the team and who command widespread respect and warmth particularly from those who watched them through their West Ham career.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1773 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Is this club ever going to have another player that reaches Moore and Brooking levels?
Longaz
Has liked: 1388 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

sutts07 wrote:
Despite all of that, we have posters on here desperate to see him have an off day or make a mistake just so they can come on and hammer the lad then accuse the rest of us of blowing smoke up his arse.
Yep I accused some of blowing smoke up his arse, so your clearly talking about me, now show me something I’ve said that indicates I want him to make a mistake or have an off day? When he plays crap such as Anfield i’ll Say so and when he plays well such as last Saturday I’ll give him the credit he deserves, I think my words were ‘fantastic’ and ‘brilliant’ regarding Saturday. I’ll openly say I’m not he’s biggest fan but I would never want him to make a mistake just so I can blame him, so try not to make stuff up to support your point. :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

I actually don't think that was necessarily just for you, Longaz. I can think of at least 2 posters (not yourself) who will re-write history just to dig Nobes out on here.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

Yeah Pats, and one of em is going to crush my skull this weekend in Bristol..

:shock:
Longaz

Post by Longaz »

Patito wrote:I actually don't think that was necessarily just for you, Longaz. I can think of at least 2 posters (not yourself) who will re-write history just to dig Nobes out on here.
Fair enough, but I’m the only one that used the ‘’blowing smoke” quote just yesterday, so to put that with accusations of hoping Noble makes a mistake is a bit disingenuous.
Estuary
Has liked: 350 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Estuary »

Fair does if Mark isn't playing to well and people post that he had a 5/10 as long as there is some context that places that within the team performance.
One thing that I feel needs saying, and this is a personal opinion, I haven't seen the team play well and Mark not.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

A good piece by Daniel Storey on Pellegrini's tactics and use of Noble.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wh ... turnaround" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

DM wrote:A good piece by Daniel Storey on Pellegrini's tactics and use of Noble.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wh ... turnaround" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for posting.

:thup:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

sutts07 wrote: If we (as a collective set of fans) can't be proud of a kid like Noble, then we truly have nothing left to be proud of.
Couldn't agree more.
polar
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by polar »

DM wrote:A good piece by Daniel Storey on Pellegrini's tactics and use of Noble.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/wh ... turnaround" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Really good article. :thup:
Patito

Post by Patito »

somerset-hammer wrote:Yeah Pats, and one of em is going to crush my skull this weekend in Bristol..

:shock:

That'll learn you "for chatting ****"! :wink:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

sutts07 wrote: Despite all of that, we have posters on here desperate to see him have an off day or make a mistake just so they can come on and hammer the lad OR others who accuse the rest of us of blowing smoke up his arse.
Longaz wrote: Yep I accused some of blowing smoke up his arse, so your clearly talking about me
U OK hun? x #fuming

I have changed the wording slightly above for you and can clarify (as others have said) that the 'desperate to see him have an off day' bit was not aimed at you.

I also don't think that people (generic - not you) have to categorically state on here that they have a desire to see him play badly for that desire to exist in their mind.

Some people (generic - not you) are on this thread as soon as he makes the slightest mistake in a game. Even if it is a few minutes in. They (generic - not you) just love to jump on his back.

I'm the same as you, I can openly admit when he has a bad game and have done countless times in various match threads. I can also look at the bigger picture and see the difference between him being 'past it' as people (generic - not you) have said, and him needing the right set up around him so that he is not overstretched. His recent form proves he is not past it and leaves me wondering how good he could have been in the past few seasons had we actually put the right players in around him.

The original post asks the question...
Where does Mark Noble rank amongst the best ever West Ham players ? Is he good enough to play in a midfield alongside Bonzo, Devonshire and Brooking ?
Now if you were picking your all time midfield three, you would have to say that Noble would be in the discussion at the very least. Not a midfield two (that is just Bonds and Brooking hands down), but a midfield three.
Longaz

Post by Longaz »

sutts07 wrote:
Now if you were picking your all time midfield three, you would have to say that Noble would be in the discussion at the very least. Not a midfield two (that is just Bonds and Brooking hands down), but a midfield three.
All time midfield based on what? A players ability when at their best or just based on amount of time they stuck around. If its the latter yeah stick him in, but if its based on the former then the likes of Peters and even Scott Parker are ahead or him.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2569 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

You could also say that some people jump on here to big him up and give out the 'told you so's' the second he has a good game after a run of bad form. It works both ways. I personally think he's been excellent recently and probably averaged 8/10 in his last three games. I hope it continues and he has one his best seasons.
Longaz

Post by Longaz »

Would say that's a fair assessment B.H and for as long as he maintains he's form we should all be happy :thup:
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Long live Captain Turdtastic! :scarfer:
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

He lived up to his name tonight then.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:He lived up to his name tonight then.
And out he crawls from that comfortable rock...