Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Side of Ham

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Side of Ham »

His tackling (when he was actually placed to make a tackle) was on par with an U9 trying to tackle U18.

Up until he was 42 Billy could be well placed AND make a tackle, that's my benchmark for a West Ham captain i'm afraid.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Side of Ham wrote: Up until he was 42 Billy could be well placed AND make a tackle, that's my benchmark for a West Ham captain i'm afraid.
Then I'm afraid you're in for a lifetime of disappointment .

I often think one of the things that holds clubs back is their inability to escape the ghosts of their former legends .

For us , modern players can't escape the image in some supporters minds of Hurst, Bonds, Moore, Peters, Devonshire and Brooking .We've probably got someone who still thinks nobody will ever be as good as Vic Watson - I believe Gnome on here recalls his debut .
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Yup a different era of men were men and tackling hard was an important part of the game
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

He played well and led by example today, a proper captain. I loved his tackle that set up Fabianski's point blank save from Ayew. He was also drove forward in the first half to set up Ayew's turn and shot that was tipped round the post. He was involved in that nice bit of play where Lanzini bamboozled their full back, and he was generally chasing and harrying. I think some people really underestimate the work he does for us in the middle in games like that.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Lil Joe 17 wrote:A kicked ball is quicker than a player sprinting - so a better passer is more valuable than speed. This is why Pirlo & Scholes were able to maintain their careers for so long.

You know your football.

Bobby Moore was another who wasn't quick running, but someone who read the game quicker than anybody else and knew the passes to make before he received the ball.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Can't take this away from him, this is what will go down in the history books, along with he is one of our top Penalty takers, might be 3rd best now, not that we get many anymore !!!!!!!!

hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I think it's a more impressive achievement considering there's very few players that stay at one club now. 400 appearances at this club is outstanding, I think he'll probably hit 500 by the time he retires too.

Legend :crest:
Stringey
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Stringey »

F*** me did Tommy Taylor really play over 400 games for the hammers! Remember watching him for my first game in the late 70s, crowd slaughtered him.

Well done to Nobes for making the 400 club.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Stringey wrote:F*** me did Tommy Taylor really play over 400 games for the hammers! Remember watching him for my first game in the late 70s, crowd slaughtered him.

Exactly my thoughts to. :shock:
Same era.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Noble was OK, seen him play worse seen him play better.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1519 likes
Total likes: 3182 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Someone compiled something in March that showed current PL clubs with their top three all time scorers, and top three who still play for them.

Noble is our top PL scorer of current players with 33. Our top three of PL history (and that's not when football started you know) (it's when it died ya darn millennial) are Sinclair (36), Cole (41) and first is Paolo on 48.

I believe Carroll is now on 30. Both would expect to go above Sinclair.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

It's an outstanding achievement for someone who isn't even 30 yet. I'd also like to know exactly how many of those were just as Premier League starts and not Champonship/off the bench.

I also think he'll get over 500 Premier League games before he retires.

I also find it impressive to get to that total in this day and age of high intensity games on a more regular basis against faster, fitter athletes.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Stringey wrote:F*** me did Tommy Taylor really play over 400 games for the hammers! Remember watching him for my first game in the late 70s, crowd slaughtered him.

First couple of seasons with us I thought TT was the next Bobby/Beckenbauer - slim, fast and good with his feet. Dunno what happened post 77-'78 - think it was weight and injuries.

If you watch the entire ECWC run 75-76 you'll see glimpses of how good he could be. Think it was the final when we saw him retaining the ball, running up the middle and passing it all around like who-knows-what.

But I digress - all the best to MN for a real milestone. Great job.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Well done Mark

Looking at the list, I've seen fourteen of them play live, including MN.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by James P »

Colours never run wrote:It's an outstanding achievement for someone who isn't even 30 yet. I'd also like to know exactly how many of those were just as Premier League starts and not Champonship/off the bench.
302 Prem appearances
287 Starts
15 Sub
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

the pink palermo wrote:For us , modern players can't escape the image in some supporters minds of Hurst, Bonds, Moore, Peters, Devonshire and Brooking .We've probably got someone who still thinks nobody will ever be as good as Vic Watson - I believe Gnome on here recalls his debut .

Nah I was still boycotting the place over the move from the Memorial Ground.....
Colours never run

James P wrote:
302 Prem appearances
287 Starts
15 Sub

Cheers. It's better than I thought. Says it all for me.
Hermit Road

Post by Hermit Road »

I can't remember people making a fuss about a 400 club years ago, it seems a modern thing.

He was terrible yesterday. I lost count of the amount of times that he held us up because he either couldn't see the options, or refused to take advantage of them. He slows us down and enables teams to defend and regroup. He should be used very sparingly now until his contract winds down.
Colours never run

Hermit Road wrote:I can't remember people making a fuss about a 400 club years ago, it seems a modern thing.

He was terrible yesterday. I lost count of the amount of times that he held us up because he either couldn't see the options, or refused to take advantage of them. He slows us down and enables teams to defend and regroup. He should be used very sparingly now until his contract winds down.

Off the top of my head;

The pass to set the move off for Kouyates goal
The run and pass to set up Ayew almost scoring
The tackle/pass that set off Lanzini
The long range effort at goal he took himself
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

The boy has still got it.