Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Ifebbubbles

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Ifebbubbles »

We are beginning to see glimpses of the player who did so well in the bundesliga it would be crazy to drop him now. Play the players in form to have the best chance of playing well. What England always fail to do.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Colours never run wrote: Experience of playing and winning in such a fixture, that's the point. Nordtveit might also be the answer by we'd be unsure of whether he could cope with the intensity (he certainly wasn't at WHL when he came on giving away a pen). I don't think he'd be as well prepared as Noble who would be very vocal making sure people do their jobs to the letter.
We should of beat Spuds last season without Noble in the team, we played some great stuff that day. Nords was shoe horned in a position (RB) he doesn't fit & he wasn't match fit, can Noble play RB?

Noble is no leader on the pitch imo, he's more like a fan on the pitch. All huff n puff effort, but that doesn't hide his lack of quality to me. Most love him for his heart for the club 'one of us', one of a dying breed, but on the pitch he's usually a liability. A real leader wouldn't let Payet get away with slacking while in the game. Waving his arms around all game is the managers job, lightweight footballer full stop.
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

Making sure they do their jobs to the letter :lol: this ain't subbuteo.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Did Mark Noble once jump in front of you in the queue for the toilet, causing you to p!ss yourself, Brooking?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ifebbubbles wrote:We are beginning to see glimpses of the player who did so well in the bundesliga it would be crazy to drop him now. Play the players in form to have the best chance of playing well. What England always fail to do.

Normally I'd agree and why I've been one of them so keen for Nordtveit to keep his place in recent games whilst Noble was out to see what he can do. However in this particular match, I don't trust Nordtveit to be on it having not played in such an intense game between the 2 sides before. The match is too important to hope he picks up the pace whereas in Noble I can trust him to be well prepared for this fixture and will know 100% what to expect, Nordtveit won't know what's hit him within half hour knowing how Spurs play for 90 minutes. He couldn't even keep up after coming off the bench within minutes giving away a soft costly penalty (to think we were leading that game 2-1 before he came on playing like a total novice). I believe this type of fixture would be too risky and come too soon to try Nordtveit out. So normally I'd agree to keep him in but I make a rare exception in this case. Plus we need to get back to winning ways. 8-) *said semi tongue in cheek*

And although Nordtveit has been much better of late (couldn't get any worse as before), he still looked vulnerable in the first half against Everton. Spurs is another level compared to them and they won't need a 2nd invitation to capitalise on a mistake like he got away with in that game early on.
brooking1966

Post by brooking1966 »

Jumby wrote:Did Mark Noble once jump in front of you in the queue for the toilet, causing you to p!ss yourself, Brooking?
Nah, I'm just tired of being told MN is a 7/10 when he's clearly a 5/10 player who gets preferential treatment because he's a fan. I like him as a man/fan, but not as a player. I support West Ham before any player, being told I'm not a true supporter for calling out MN for his game is 'a joke ting'. Kouyate played a blinder yet do MN lovers care? Nah it should of been Noble, Nordveit is coming good yet gets slapped by the same, double standards or ignorance?

Time will tell i guess, actually it has 10 yrs of not living up to expectations & fans still praying for more.

Great leader off the pitch, but not on it, too slow, weak, with no skill & if you think he has above average vision your dreaming. He'll be a great manager/coach, but as a player pipe dreams mate. Get behind the squad give Nordveit a chance he's had 10 mths not 10 yrs to prove himself ffs.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I am hard pressed to think of one other Premier League club who would be interested in him and at this wages, that would put Championship clubs out of the equation, so folks, looks like were saddled with him for another 3 years until his contract is up. Personally, I have never seen anything in him, other than a slow, bang average player who takes a mean penalty . Beyond that, I fail to see what other qualities he has, or what else he brings to the team
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Puff Daddy wrote:I am hard pressed to think of one other Premier League club who would be interested in him and at this wages, that would put Championship clubs out of the equation, so folks, looks like were saddled with him for another 3 years until his contract is up. Personally, I have never seen anything in him, other than a slow, bang average player who takes a mean penalty . Beyond that, I fail to see what other qualities he has, or what else he brings to the team
Thats a little harsh mate. Lastc season he was immense. Was majorly unlucky not to get called up for the Euros. This season hes been more consistent with the Noble of previous years.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

the pink palermo wrote:Still ought to be the first name on our team sheet every week .

What on earth is going on with our support when he is mugged off the way he is by some of them ?
Here, here. Well said.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Puff Daddy wrote:I am hard pressed to think of one other Premier League club who would be interested in him and at this wages, that would put Championship clubs out of the equation, so folks, looks like were saddled with him for another 3 years until his contract is up. Personally, I have never seen anything in him, other than a slow, bang average player who takes a mean penalty . Beyond that, I fail to see what other qualities he has, or what else he brings to the team
There would definitely be plenty of takers. You can exaggerate his lack of ability, but there is no way a player with his experience and performances in the Premier League would not get a club straight away.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

You appear to make the assumption that wages are important to him.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

He's not had a good season, & should not be above criticism, so although personally I think some of the nonsensical rants posted by the usual comma laden idiots is just that, some of the analysis & questioning of his selection is fair.

It doesn't change what he is or has been for WHU, which is a great great servant to the club, but as a nipper back in the 80's I'd hear the dockers around us give Brooking & Bonds a rollicking on the rare occasions that their heads would drop.

Saying that, it would be absolutely mental to not start him against the scum.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

RichieRiv wrote:
You appear to make the assumption that wages are important to him.

Not to him, possibly, but to a Championship club, his most likely destination should we decide to sell him. Could see somebody like Norwich moving for him, Villa even, or one or two other more fancied teams in that league who will be up there challenging next year
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote:
What on earth is going on with our support when he is mugged off the way he is by some of them ?
I feel sorry for them. They're the ones believing the next level b*llocks.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Nordveit is getting some praise, but it must be a lot easier playing in our midfield at the moment, in a 5-2-2-1, than when we were playing 4-2-3-1. Its why Kouyate's lack of discipline isnt being exposed either.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Take away the West Ham slant and look at how the opposition target him to catch him in possession, how there is often an opposition player near to the tackler to sweep the ball into attack knowing he's likely gain possession from this tactic. Plus if they don't tackle him he's likely to pass backwards they have done their defensive duties still.He is also the most likely player to not win a tackle with you, he'll make the tackle but rarely come away with the ball.

The opposition also know they have time to pick their next pass as he won't catch you up, which leads to last ditch tackles from us flying in.

Noble is an opposition player's win/win.

I have witnessed this at most games i've seen him play this season sorry if this knocks him, but football is about finding the oppositions weak links and i see his name on the sheet i see a goal for the opposition OR a slowing down of our attacking threat.

I can't not be there and pretend this doesn't happen, and because of his stature within the club it stands out more.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

Well I'd say that Allardyce would have him at Palace for a start. Like it or not he is one of the most experienced players in the league. Yes he might not have much European experience and limited international experience but he knows the league and doesn't get mugged off by anyone on the pitch.
True, he might not be quick. He wasn't quick last season either and still won plaudits from everyone except Hodgson. His "Parker" turns can be annoying but that's cos he isn't as good at them as Parker.

Unfortunately we are not good enough yet to be classing Noble as not good enough for us. Until we reach that level, we should be lucky we've got someone like him here.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Believer wrote:Well I'd say that Allardyce would have him at Palace for a start. Like it or not he is one of the most experienced players in the league. Yes he might not have much European experience and limited international experience but he knows the league and doesn't get mugged off by anyone on the pitch.
True, he might not be quick. He wasn't quick last season either and still won plaudits from everyone except Hodgson. His "Parker" turns can be annoying but that's cos he isn't as good at them as Parker.

Unfortunately we are not good enough yet to be classing Noble as not good enough for us. Until we reach that level, we should be lucky we've got someone like him here.

He gets mugged off as a defensive midfielder by the fact he gets easily played around and can only play in a packed midfield where someone can sweep up his frailties/slowness.In another midfield role maybe there's a player to play off, but that would be to the detriment of Lanzini imo.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I'd love to know what our level actually is. Five places below the mighty Bournemouth?
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Richie, i'm more bothered by the owners thinking 'level' is determined by Stadium Capacity.