Aaron Cresswell signs.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Aaron Cresswell signs.

Postby ChzMff on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 am

Yes, that tackle immediately sprung to my mind too. I thought it was noticeable just how many more tackles the team were making rather than getting semi close and pointlessly jockeying.

I agree with the comment further up about having a fullback in that three. It enables you to quickly turn it into a flat 4 if needed and should in essence bring you a better ball carrying player to step out and take the ball forward.
ChzMff

Postby NW5hammer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:40 am

Somehow Moyes has turned him into a decent defender. Didn't get forward yesterday but that was one of his better/best performances for us. Looks like he knows what he's supposed to do at last.
NW5hammer

Postby Blow Bubbles on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 am

I’m loving Cress at LCB and Arthur at wing back.

Cresswell is obviously improving defensively under Moyes and being in a Back 3 still allows him to make the odd over lapping run as long as the midfield or indeed Masuaku cover him. I like it :thup:
Blow Bubbles

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 am

The jury is still out on this one... He had a decent game yesterday for sure, and hopefully it will continue. I guess as he knows ows the left back position so we'll, it allows masuaku to get forward a bit more. Zab could do a similar job on the right hand side of a back 3, but not at the same time. In all honesty, they're all looking a bit more capable now and it's hard to say who the best three are out of what we have.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Lovejoy2 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 pm

Has Cresswell played yet pre-season?
Lovejoy2

Postby YorksHammer on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:49 am

Lovejoy2 wrote:Has Cresswell played yet pre-season?

I don't think so, unless I missed him against Winterthur. Injured, maybe?
YorksHammer

Postby Smonnie on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 am

Can someone PLEASE tell me why so many people prefer the headless chicken that is Masuaku over Aaron Cresswell?

People have been quick to slag off Cresswell as 'poor at defending', but Masuaku takes the biscuit. He has no positional awareness, can't tackle and can't block.

I understand that Masuaku can be an exciting player - for five seconds at a time when he goes on those mazy dribbles that confuse everyone. Trouble is, they confuse him, too, and he has absolutely no final ball.

Cresswell finished on more assists than any other defender in the Premier League.

I can't wait to see his renaissance in a team that can both attack and defend this year. I expect to see him combine well with Anderson and Wilshere.

One of my favourite players.
Smonnie

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:29 am

Cresswell will benefit by having Felipe Anderson in the side , same as he did when Payet was here .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby fmgod on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Smonnie wrote:Can someone PLEASE tell me why so many people prefer the headless chicken that is Masuaku over Aaron Cresswell?

Honestly not a clue, Cresswell is a solid prem player, chips in with plenty of assists too, Massaku doesn't actually have a position as he can't defend and is too much of a headless chicken going forward, I don't think he is even a prem level player.
fmgod

Postby chigwells finest on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

sooner we get him back at lb the better , masuaku playing there will give me a heart attack
chigwells finest

Postby S-H on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:43 am

Lovejoy2 wrote:Has Cresswell played yet pre-season?

He played against Angers or Mainz, I believe.
S-H

Postby Denzil on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Completely agree with above comments. I was surprised not to see him in the starting line up. I'd really like the look of our back four with him in the side.
Denzil

Postby bobd_uk on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:44 pm

Denzil wrote:Completely agree with above comments. I was surprised not to see him in the starting line up. I'd really like the look of our back four with him in the side.

He looked like he aggravated his injury in the 1 pre season game that he played in. I know MP listed our injuries and he wasn't in it, but I'd be surprised if he was left out for any reason other than not being fully fit.
bobd_uk

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Both Masu and Fredricks defensive positioning was awful yesterday. both are wing backs who love to bomb forward, if we're going to play with 4 at the back its going to leave gaping holes. I'd take Cressers over Masuaku at LB every day of the week and push Masu up field as one of the left wing options.

If the system we played yesterday is what Pell's going to go with then not recruiting good back up full backs is going to come back and bite us
Johnnyboy

Postby kentishiron on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:33 pm

I don't get this whole Masuaku has absolutely no final ball argument? :eh: If I remember last year he put in an amazing cross for Arnautovic against Southampton, Sakho against Swansea, Kouyate against Spurs, and then for Arnautovic's 2nd goal against Bournemouth, albeit a rebound from Hernandez's shot.

I think Cresswell would've done nothing different to Masuaku for Manes 1st goal yesterday, and Arthur actually did a good job on Salah I thought, opposed to Fredericks on Mane, although Antonio did not track back once other than that time in the first few minutes.

I do agree though that against teams where we don't have the ball as much I would rather Cresswell, but against teams where we are going to look to dominate the ball, I would rather Arthur.

I also don't get the way people think of Cresswell as way more reliable because there have been many times when at left back he has been caught way out of position and doesn't have the pace to get back, and the amount of times he's played stupid balls into the middle of the pitch straight to the opposition who should've scored, done this at least three times at the OS.
kentishiron

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 am

there is not much in it between cress and Arthur.

cresswell is slightly more solid, decent crosser but lacks pace .
Arthur has pace, can beat a man, crossing not the best at times, not great positionally .

cresswell is 28/29 and Arthur is 23/24

if we playtwo CDMs like obiang and sanchez to cover the fullbacks then Arthur would get my vote

a difficult one but at the moment Arthur has the shirt as cresswell is not fit. you cant really judge him against a rampant Liverpool and against mo salah. he did ok but got done a few times as would cresswell have been.
hammerman11

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 am

^^^^

Aaron has far more defensive awareness.

Thats enough for me to have him in the side........oh yeah, Cress don't go around spitting at people either. :wink:
westham,eggyandchips

Postby S-H on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:26 am

When you say Arthur can beat a man, do you mean punt the ball ahead of his opponent and then just run straight into them?

Cresswell all day long, Masuaku should be kept as far away from our defence as possible, especially when we a playing with a flat back four.
S-H

Postby steveyrockstar on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:50 am

Always been a big fan of Cresswell and would absolutely have him at LB. Don't forget he was HOTY a few seasons ago.

However, I also like Massuaku when he plays at LW. Was one of the positives for me last season. I would just never ever play him at LB.
steveyrockstar

Postby Denzil on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 am

Johnnyboy wrote:Both Masu and Fredricks defensive positioning was awful yesterday. both are wing backs who love to bomb forward, if we're going to play with 4 at the back its going to leave gaping holes. I'd take Cressers over Masuaku at LB every day of the week and push Masu up field as one of the left wing options.

If the system we played yesterday is what Pell's going to go with then not recruiting good back up full backs is going to come back and bite us

Whilst he was left exposed, I would say half of that blame lays firmly at Antonio's door. You have to work as a pair, both in the attacking and defensive sense. Antonio was far too lazy in tracking back, I think once Yarmalenko or Snodgrass is in the side we'll see a different Fredericks.
Denzil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion