Enner Valencia: Signed, Sealed... Departed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Enner Valencia: Signed, Sealed... Departed

Postby Roby on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:49 am

Westaam wrote:If Enner had had more than a handful of games building up his confidence, goal tally and reputation as a pure poacher, without the encumbrance of a passing or holding game on the flank which did not suit him, then who knows, he could have ended up the £20m to £30m Hernandez-style striker that we initially thought he might become.

An excellent point.

He looked good in a few games up front but didn't score enough initially and was then just banged out on the wing in a front three and he looked lost.

Scored some pretty good goals for us but seemed to swing from flashes of excellence to just looking far too out of his depth physically.

If we got half our money back plus the loan fee from Everton last season we can't groan too much, not all deals come off anymore.

Good luck to the lad back in Mexico though :thup:
Roby

Postby fmgod on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:12 am

Have I just read he could've of become a 20-30 million Hernadez style poacher :D No seriously, he is one of the worst players I've seen play 50 games for us, one of the worst technical and decision makers ever
fmgod

Postby James P on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

It shouldn't take any amount of games for him to stop the utterly ridiculous offsides he conceded every single game. The guy was constantly offside, not by mistiming runs and going a half second too early, but by always being stood in a bloody offside position.

Thanks for the rare good times but onwards and upwards.
James P

Postby carnage on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:22 am

Another "value" signing binned.
carnage

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:30 am

overall he was not good enough. the odd good performance followed by several utter crap ones. He played at times like a 16 year old and seemed too weak. never adjusted and back at his level now.

I wish him well.

time to move onto new forwards now .

The old guard need replacing this window.
hammerman11

Postby stu1 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

fmgod wrote:Have I just read he could've of become a 20-30 million Hernadez style poacher :D No seriously, he is one of the worst players I've seen play 50 games for us, one of the worst technical and decision makers ever

Agreed.

A terrible player and terrible purchase.
stu1

Postby TheHandOfDog on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:14 pm

He did give us one hell of a half season under Sam, apart from that the only other thing I remember is him being booed when being subbed because he walked off with the hump when we were chasing the game.
TheHandOfDog

Postby ballantine on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:34 pm

I'll remember him for that Benny Hill moment in the golf cart on the running field in Ecuador. For that I am grateful.
ballantine

Postby Jumby on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:35 am

Some people really do look back on Enners time with rose tinted glasses. It wasn't the clubs fault that he didn't work out, he was sh!t at Everton as well, is anyone going to have a dig at them, or Koeman?

Stop imagining something that wasn't there, like Amir Zaki and other players who start the first few months with a bang and then quickly tail off, Enner simply wasn't good enough, something I and many others knew right from the second we were linked with him.

Never buy a player based solely on a few games in the sunshine.
Jumby

Postby WCpete on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:13 am

Give Enner a lot of time and a 15 yard cushion between him and defenders on all sides of him when in the box and he was guaranteed to score 55% of the time.

He was awful. I did feel sorry for him occasionally, because he frequently looked like a puppy who'd been told off. Nonetheless, he was a star in Mexico before, and that's where he belongs.
Last edited by WCpete on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCpete

Postby OFT on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:10 am

Jumby wrote:
Never buy a player based solely on a few games in the sunshine.

Is the correct answer!

Let's call it the Gary Breen theorem .
OFT

Postby Hayden on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 am

Do we know how much we got for him?

Good luck to him - it just didn't work out. Seems like a decent guy and he tried hard.
Hayden

Postby RayleighHammer23 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 am

How anyone ever saw anything in him it's incredible to me. A poor first touch, physically incapable of riding a challenge, unable to create space to take a shot, horrendous positional sense.

In a much slower League he might thrive but he was 10 steps behind the Premier League pace and didn't have quick enough instincts to make up for it. I remember his debut against Sheffield United, he could barely get a touch. Sakho played that day and stood out by a mile.
RayleighHammer23

Postby Jumby on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm

"There's a player there"
Jumby

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Jumby wrote:"There's a player there"

:D Thing is I think there is Jumby.

I'm definitely not saying we should be keeping him - that ship has sailed. Nor am saying we can't do better - we most definitely can, but, but, but when played in his true position as his country play him his goal scoring record really is very good. Bad players don't generally score 20 in 38 for their country. That's not the record of a truly bad player, although I'd accept it may be the record of an average player against generally poor opposition.

Anyway it's done now - I wish him well and will remember him for that first half of his first season when his partnership with Sakho (now that is one lad who earns all of the stick that comes his way) was refreshing, dynamic and productive. Good luck son.
DaveWHU1964

Postby fmgod on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Nicklas Bendtner
Milan Baros
David Healy
fmgod

Postby the celestial insect on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 pm

RayleighHammer23 wrote:How anyone ever saw anything in him it's incredible to me. A poor first touch, physically incapable of riding a challenge, unable to create space to take a shot, horrendous positional sense.

In a much slower League he might thrive but he was 10 steps behind the Premier League pace and didn't have quick enough instincts to make up for it. I remember his debut against Sheffield United, he could barely get a touch. Sakho played that day and stood out by a mile.

I actually thought he looked pretty good in a couple of his world cup games. Very industrious, pacey, good in the air. But then Barrera also looked good in a couple of world cup games. I think we were all shocked at the £12m fee though--our marque signing. Even at the time it seemed incomprehensible.
the celestial insect

Postby Servo on Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:22 am

Of course he's scored a hat trick in his first game back in Mexico :lol:
Servo

Postby Westaam on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 am

I think there's a lot of rewriting history going on in this thread.

Sakho and Valencia up front together was a beautiful thing until Fat Sam's favourites got fit and he was able to dismantle his unwanted and serendipitous beautiful and functional formation.

It's true that Valencia's form and confidence evaporated pretty quickly once he was transformed from poacher to deep-lying midfield substitute, but I won't forget one particular game later that season when somehow he found some rhythm and purpose and looked completely unplayable.

It was only one game, and he took his sledge further downhill afterwards, but if Allardyce had fallen ill with chewing gum cancer several games into Valencia's first season and been unable to ruin a winning combination, then rather than falling through the cracks in the fate's frozen pond, Enner could have finished the season with 10-15 goals and hauled Rosebud back to the top of the slope.
Westaam

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:40 am

Westaam wrote:It's true that Valencia's form and confidence evaporated pretty quickly once he was transformed from poacher to deep-lying midfield substitute...

That's twice I've seen you describe Enner being played as a deep-lying midfielder. :think:

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Håvard Nordtveit?
StevePottsGoalsReel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion