Enner Valencia: Signed, Sealed... Departed

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Enner Valencia: Signed, Sealed... Departed

Postby James P on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 am

I know nothing about Enner as a person. From what I can gather watching him on the pitch he seems like a happy enough fella.

The fact is he wasn't really offering much to the team and I was more than happy to see him depart. With 20/20 hindsight it's clear that those brought in to replace him, Zaza in particular, have been inadequate. However, with us letting in 4 goals most week, I doubt we'd be faring much better with Valencia up top. Scores very rarely and the ridiculous number of times he's flagged for offside would have done nothing to relieve the pressure on our defence.
James P

Postby Humbug on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:07 pm

He still looks naff when he plays for Everton. Completely out of his depth in the PL and yet another mediocre footballer who , for some reason, thinks he's good enough.
Humbug

Postby Jumby on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:11 pm

In Enner's defence you can't blame him for believing he's good enough, it's the managers who pick him that are to blame, or the mugs that sign him. I'm not as good as right back as Arbeloa but if i was out there I'd believe I was good enough or I wouldn't bother.
Jumby

Postby Jumby on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:30 pm

2014/15 - 5 goals in 37 apps, Ecuador - 2 goals in 3 apps
2015/16 - 5 goals in 24 apps, Ecuador - 6 goals in 11 apps
2016/17 - 0 goals in 7 apps & 0 goals in 7 apps Ecuador - N/A

He's scored almost as many goals in 14 games for his country as he has in 78 appearances for us, which highlights my point right from the very start, before we even signed him, you don't sign players on the basis of them scoring a couple of goals against the likes of Honduras at a World Cup in the sunshine.

Do you think the board/club will learn from this or is there another gangly awkward player playing in some stupid league already putting pen to paper for us? :lol:
Jumby

Postby DDHammer on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Oh Enner :P

DDHammer

Postby Ozza on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 am

Now gone, shame it didn't work out, all the best for the future Enner
Ozza

Postby sanchoz on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 am

Goodbye and good luck to Enner
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby claretcloggy on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:53 am

good luck in the future Enner, will always remember the Bournmouth free kick you scored :thup:
claretcloggy

Postby lewis100985 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:35 am

DDHammer wrote:Oh Enner : P

I never saw this! :lol:
lewis100985

Postby smuts on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Good luck Enner.

Overpaid by about 9 million for the bloke and he was never really cut out for the PL and he became a liability towards the end of his time with us giving the ball away and making poor decisions time and time again.

A few good goals though. The Bournemouth free kick was top notch and the Hull one was a worldie.
smuts

Postby Ben on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 pm

his free kick against Bournemouth though
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Re: Enner Valencia: Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Postby Jumby on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 pm

September 2014

Jumby wrote:This time last year he was playing for Emelec, most football fans that follow football all over the world wouldn't know who they are, which pretty much explains what I said, he had done nothing of any note a year ago and not an awful lot since, which makes his 15m fee, 1m shy of what Arsenal paid for Danny Wellbeck, ridiculous. You can't say he's good enough for the Premier Leage based on him scoring against the likes of Bolivia in a youtube clip.

To say I know nothing about Enner Valencia is a little silly, as is the reaction from a couple on here to me suggesting that he may not be all that, that suggestion being based on what I've seen and what research myself, like many, have done on him since he was linked with a move our way. I hope he proves me wrong, but when players come to this country with that kind of record, rarely, if ever, do they become a decent player, and in the current system we employ it looks even harder for him to prove me wrong, hence why I think it's 15m not well spent. Interesting how hardly anyone wanted us to go near Jordan Rhodes yet he'd cost less and has a far better record than Valencia, I very much doubt he'd ever played club football that was as high a standard as The Championship, laugh at that you may but I think you'll find I'm right.

I remember when we were linked with Maiga, I was dead against it, some chose to kick off saying I knew nothing, we all know how that one ended up.

Thank f**k for that. I never wanted him and his record speaks for itself. The poster boy for the Sulli special, never again. At least it was only 12m in the end and not 15.
Jumby

Postby WestHamIFC on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Started out forming a great partnership with Sakho, but then instead of improving, bizarrely just got worse after that.

Loved his diving header at Stoke though.
WestHamIFC

Postby Jumby on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:12 pm

DDHammer wrote:Oh Enner :P

Just laughed out loud in the office!
Jumby

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:51 pm

A very talented footballer who several have managers failed to nurture into the player he should be.

There's immense, generational potential in there. Poor us for not having the necessary people to mobilise that potential.
fjthegrey

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm

fjthegrey wrote:. Poor us for not having the necessary people to mobilise that potential.

I agree, with the right dedication and coaching he could be a very decent footballer.

Capable of the spectacular, it was his first touch and decision-making that would regularly let him down.
somerset-hammer

Postby Nesticles on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:57 pm

I remember the Man City game at home when we beat them 2-1 a few years ago, him and Sakho up top and we had the diamond in midfield.

He was a nightmare for Kompany that game, played him so well and gave him the run around

Unfortunately soon after that it became apparent he wasn't very good
Nesticles

Postby Jumby on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:00 pm

You could say this about most professional footballers that are a bit ****. Allardyce, Bilic and Koeman, he didn't shine for any of those managers. Scored a few good goals, missed a f**kload and was generally terrible in possession.
Jumby

Postby Het-Field on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:11 pm

I am disappointed that it never worked out. He looked good in 2014, when Sakho, Song, Jenkinson and Amalfitano were all playing some great stuff. It never continued and he has left us after three years. Good luck to him, but I see it as a break from the old for us.
Het-Field

Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub

Postby YorksHammer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 pm

I think the Sulli Special poster boy will always be Wellington Paulista - South American, on loan, clearly signed above the manager's head, does nothing for us, then goes back to his parent club. I was going to say Nene but he at least touched the ball for us in a fixture.

WestHamIFC wrote:Loved his diving header at Stoke though.

Funny how there are now three goals mentioned on here, all of which were pretty tidy (Hull, Bournemouth, Stoke). He did very little else, but when he finished he really knew how to finish.
YorksHammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion