Reece Oxford

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Reece Oxford

Postby Bury Me @ The Boleyn on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:49 pm

PrinceH wrote:13,14? :phew:
Far to early.

What would the United States know about developing world class athletes? They surely haven't made many!
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Postby libero on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:34 pm

You hear a lot about "bulking up " players and their "upper body strength" and it's true that scrawny players may well need that. But as far as I can see, Reece Oxford is a pretty big unit for an 18 year old and too much muscle would slow him down.

Look at Sergio Ramos who's won just about everything there is to win and is, in my opinion, the best CB in the world at the moment: Six foot one, yes but just 75 kilos - 11.8 stones. Speed and sharpness is essential in modern football, so let's not get carried away with bulking up Reece
libero

Postby YorksHammer on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Started for Gladbach today against KAS Eupen, played 67 minutes at centre back.

https://www.borussia.de/english/team/ne ... ?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=26371&cHash=8bebcfbc8228e51e0f47ca439c89c3a5
YorksHammer

Postby codger on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:18 pm

According to Gladbachs official data on Oxford he is six foot 3 tall and weighs 12stone 4lbs.
He must have put some weight on since he started there. If that is correct I can't see what all the
fuss is about.
codger

Postby bubbles500 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 pm

http://forum.borussia.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56991

Uptodate 6 page thread on him be interesting if anyone can translate any worthwhile info.
bubbles500

Postby Bury Me @ The Boleyn on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Forgive me, my German is a little rusty. Here's what I can make of it:

The first little bit is just about Borussia agreeing to the loan. Then it says he's gone through every level with the youth national teams so far and then it quotes Eberl (Borussia sporting director) as saying "The loan's an opportunity to add an intriguing player to the squad and we've had good experiences with young PL players".

The second bit is about his debut at 16 against Arsenal and that he made 6 appearances for us that season. Also mentioned that he switched to us from Spurs at 11.

Last paragraph is about a lingering ankle injury that sidelined him for a lot of last season, but despite that he played 30 games for our youth team and another 5 for Reading on loan. -- I might be reading this wrong and they mean he's played over 30 youth team matches for us total, not last season. Again my German is rusty.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 am

What about the other 6 pages :lol:
bubbles500

Postby bubbles500 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 am

bubbles500 wrote:What about the other 6 pages :lol:

Last couple might be interesting since he played.Saw they've got 2 pretty solid 1st choices in ginter and other bloke ,but rest was google translate made no sense.
bubbles500

Postby Bury Me @ The Boleyn on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 am

Ha! My fault. I only read that introductory section, not the comments.

Glancing over the comments they seem to be debating whether or not they could keep him if he hasn't convinced us of his quality after this season.
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Postby continental skills on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:43 am

Almost the entire thread is people asking what is the point of a one-year loan.
Has little to do with Oxford, just people being critical of the whole idea of having a player for one year and then he's gone again.
Last two posts say he's looked very cool-headed up to now, but they clearly expect Vestergaard and Ginter to be the first-choice central defenders, and point out that last year central defence was a position for which the manager stuck with two players all season, so they don't expect Reece to get much game time.
continental skills

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:52 am

continental skills wrote: so they don't expect Reece to get much game time.

Unless they play him in midfield?
somerset-hammer

Postby Ozza on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 am

Cheers Bury me @
Ozza

Postby wildkard on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 am

Slight aside, but touched on here....

My mate at the club told me that any kids being recruited are being assessed mostly on their size and athletic ability. Being able to play a bit of football as well, of course He said that the club get the parents in to have a look at them (under the guise of a chat, but mostly to see if mum and dad are hench as well). He said that this isn't unusual and that most clubs operate in the same way when bringing in youngsters.
wildkard

Postby Ozza on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:22 am

wildkard wrote:Slight aside, but touched on here....

My mate at the club told me that any kids being recruited are being assessed mostly on their size and athletic ability. Being able to play a bit of football as well, of course He said that the club get the parents in to have a look at them (under the guise of a chat, but mostly to see if mum and dad are hench as well). He said that this isn't unusual and that most clubs operate in the same way when bringing in youngsters.

cheers for this, it seems that the prem league clubs have been operating like this for years, all about the size of the player rather than ability, Spain operate totally differently
Ozza

Postby wildkard on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 am

Yeah, that's pretty much what he said. Noble told him that he wouldn't have a chance to make it professionally if he tried now as he's too small.
wildkard

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 am

thats nothing new wildkard

when i was coaching my sons team a sarfend coach i knew come over and asked if anyone had caught my eye

when i told him about one young lad he said - nah not for me his mum and dad are only little - i replied but arent the best players in the world also small - rare exception mate he said

that was 8 years ago
psychoscoredthelot

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:27 am

wildkard wrote: He said that this isn't unusual and that most clubs operate in the same way when bringing in youngsters.

Is this most English clubs, by any chance?

Judging a kid on his physique rather than his ability, no wonder we have been so successful at international level, over the last few decades..

Good job Messi wasn't judged on his size when he first came to Spain.
somerset-hammer

Postby Ozza on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 am

Yeah I think it's just England Somerset, makes me worry about Quina
Ozza

Postby wildkard on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 am

Yeah, he said West Ham have been doing it since he was there (back in the Pardew days).

Seems a very "English" thing to do, for sure.
wildkard

Postby HammerMan2004 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 am

somerset-hammer wrote:
Good job Messi wasn't judged on his size when he first came to Spain.

I thought he was? Wasn't he turned down by loads of clubs until Barcelona brought him on and financed growth hormone treatment?
HammerMan2004

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion