Reece Oxford

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Reece Oxford

Postby Ferret on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Jumby wrote:Glad he's finally got his chance and appears to have taken it, long may it continue as I want this kid in the first team picture next season.

Plus he'll be getting a damn sight fitter at Reading, if the reports of our shoddy training sesssions are true!
Ferret

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:02 pm

bowltorious wrote:Anyone with connections within the club know the long term plans for Oxford?

Gonna sell him cheap in the relegation fire sale (probably to Chelsea); it's traditional.
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby claretandblue82 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:19 pm

His first 90 mins for Reading and they took a 7-1 spanking today, 6 of those in the 1st half, against a Norwich team that has been pretty poor recently. Don't know how well he played but it's a game to forget I imagine!!
claretandblue82

Postby Wilko1304 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 pm

Mate of mine said he looked good on the ball but retreated every time anyone went at him. However, he also said Reading were (obviously) a shambles as a whole and the centre backs were offered no protection by full backs or the midfield.

It was at that moment I realised Reading were the perfect club to get him ready for life at West Ham
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby Absolutely Hammered! on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm quite happy this happened because although there is something there talent wise, he is certainly a couple of seasons away from being a premier league regular. He's still too lightweight for starters.
Absolutely Hammered!

Postby thejackhammer on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:39 pm

claretandblue82 wrote:His first 90 mins for Reading and they took a 7-1 spanking today, 6 of those in the 1st half, against a Norwich team that has been pretty poor recently. Don't know how well he played but it's a game to forget I imagine!!

He did play most of the game in midweek, his performance was praised fairly widely by Reading fans
thejackhammer

Postby kayahammer on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 am

Wilko1304 wrote:Mate of mine said he looked good on the ball but retreated every time anyone went at him. However, he also said Reading were (obviously) a shambles as a whole and the centre backs were offered no protection by full backs or the midfield.

It was at that moment I realised Reading were the perfect club to get him ready for life at West Ham

:lol:
kayahammer

Postby miles on Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 am

claretandblue82 wrote:they took a 7-1 spanking today, 6 of those in the 1st half, against a Norwich team that has been pretty poor recently.

Wonder how that happened. I mean, after all their training is so wonderfully intense and everything.
miles
This site...

Postby Everard on Thu May 18, 2017 5:18 pm

another season out on loan according to the daily fail. really? time to push for first team action. very frustrated with his lack of game time after such a promising start against arse a couple of years ago..
Everard

Postby Marky on Thu May 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Very worrying what happened to him at reading. Stam is no mug manager and clearly wasnt blown away with Reece.
Marky

Postby DannyboyDJL on Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm

I'll be amazed if he makes it as a centre half. Just don't see it in the lad. Too casual and isn't particularly quick or aggressive.

The role he played at Arsenal looks ideal to me.
DannyboyDJL

Postby chappo59 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Not Oxford related but am looking forward to seeing Cullen play against Millwall Saturday, apparently he's ripping it up at Bradford.
chappo59

Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon

Postby BromleyHammer on Thu May 18, 2017 10:19 pm

On Cullen, my Bradford season ticket holder boss says he's fantastic but can't shoot to save his life, so a perfect Noble replacement!
BromleyHammer

Postby chappo59 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:22 pm

BromleyHammer wrote:On Cullen, my Bradford season ticket holder boss says he's fantastic but can't shoot to save his life, so a perfect Noble replacement!

Blimey didn't know that mate, I do know that Millwall fans I know fear him and he's swept the board with Bradford fans awards.
chappo59

Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri May 19, 2017 6:44 am

DannyboyDJL wrote:
The role he played at Arsenal looks ideal to me.

Marking a less than mobile Mesut Ozil?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri May 19, 2017 6:49 am

[quote="BromleyHammer"]

he's fantastic but can't shoot to save his life

The true hallmark of a West Ham player
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby YorksHammer on Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 am

DannyboyDJL wrote:The role he played at Arsenal looks ideal to me.

I'd second that, and have said it for a long time - I think he's a far better bet to make it as a DM than as a CB, certainly at the moment. Composed on the ball, good passing, and sees the game really well. I think he's too lightweight to be a top CB.
YorksHammer

Postby jaybs on Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am

Does concern me our constant practice of sending players out on loan, see Wolves looking to take Martinez for a season, do they not develop better within the club they sign for and around the first team players day in day out, introducing them from the bench, if a player is good enough age should never be a problem.
jaybs

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri May 19, 2017 10:42 am

A lot of pressure on Reece, and it all pretty much stems from that Arsenal display.

He is still a young man, with a long career in front of him, if he knuckles down and trains hard. As a fan base, we have this strange obsession with trying to rush a player’s development. Sears/Stanislas/Hines/Montano all come to mind. Sears is the one who stands out though. An incredible goal ratio all throughout his career, hit the first team, got his debut goal and then we all expected it just to continue. Unfortunately it very rarely happens.

I like others would love to produce home grown talent, and have them playing each week, but it is a very drawn out process. If he is good enough for the first team, that is where he will be. He struggled to break into the Reading side, that doesn’t mean he won’t have a good career.

He has just turned 18 years of age, give him time, loan spells are most definitely beneficial at this stage of development. If by the age of 22, 23 he is still being loaned out, then that is the stage to think he hasn’t quite got it.
Happyhammer52

Postby thejackhammer on Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm

jaybs wrote:Does concern me our constant practice of sending players out on loan, see Wolves looking to take Martinez for a season, do they not develop better within the club they sign for and around the first team players day in day out, introducing them from the bench, if a player is good enough age should never be a problem.

I'd say playing 40 games against seasoned professionals is much better experience than playing 10 lots of 15 minutes off the bench.
thejackhammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion