Reece Oxford

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Reece Oxford

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Rocket wrote:He's eighteen years old, for Heaven's sake.

I guess I'm just a bit impatient to see one of the academy lads break into the first team, it's been a while.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby bobd_uk on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Starts his German loan spell from the bench today. Let's hope he's given opportunity to impress this season.
bobd_uk

Postby bubbles500 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:20 pm

He won't unless injuries.Sitting on a bench in Germany meanwhile we are down to 3 CB 2 of who's legs have gone.Baffling beyond belief.
bubbles500

Postby thejackhammer on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:27 pm

bubbles500 wrote:He won't unless injuries.Sitting on a bench in Germany meanwhile we are down to 3 CB 2 of who's legs have gone.Baffling beyond belief.

You're forgetting Rice and Kouyate and none of us know the extent of Reid's injury.

I'd also rather have Collins ATM, he's a better player. Let Reece develop without all this crazy pressure.
thejackhammer

Postby hammerman11 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:22 am

overall it will do him good to go to germany but only if he gets more game time than he would with us.
he would have started on weds I reckon and with our problems at CB now he would get some game time.

still only 18 so plenty of time. next season will be huge for him
hammerman11

Postby SullySpecial on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:28 am

Regardless of whether he plays much or not, at least he'll be exposed to competent levels of coaching every day, which is something he wouldn't get at WHU.
SullySpecial

Postby hammerman11 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:36 am

true as they must have some idea on how to defend compared to our lot !
hammerman11

Postby bobd_uk on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:36 am

bubbles500 wrote:He won't unless injuries.Sitting on a bench in Germany meanwhile we are down to 3 CB 2 of who's legs have gone.Baffling beyond belief.

Apparently Oxford has had an injury himself and missed the last week of training out there. Be interested to see if he gets into the team once he's fully recovered.

It's not as baffling that we haven't used him ourselves if you remember that he couldn't get in the Reading team above Paul McShane last season!
bobd_uk

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:39 am

hammerman11 wrote:he would have started on weds I reckon

I don't think he'd have started at all - and if he had then there's no guarantee that things would have been any better.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby bubbles500 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:22 am

The 2 guys that started are clearly their 1st choice pairing,and the 3rd choice is injured..If he was fit he may not even make the bench.Still maintain he'd have had more chance playing with us.No idea if Germany have a 2 nd cup competition,don't think they do.
bubbles500

Postby claretcloggy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:42 am

bubbles500 wrote:The 2 guys that started are clearly their 1st choice pairing,and the 3rd choice is injured..If he was fit he may not even make the bench.Still maintain he'd have had more chance playing with us.No idea if Germany have a 2 nd cup competition,don't think they do.

they do not
claretcloggy

Postby RayleighHammer23 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 pm

bobd_uk wrote:Be interested to see if he gets into the team once he's fully recovered.

Vestegaard is their rock and they have shelled out to bring Ginter in from Dortmund (World Cup year he's moved to play), if he gets any game time it will most likely be off the bench to close games out.
RayleighHammer23

Postby ballantine on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:I don't think he'd have started at all - and if he had then there's no guarantee that things would have been any better.

True. But I'd rather ship 3 with Oxford than Fonte or Ogbonna.
ballantine

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am

He'd be getting loads of stick on here for not being good enough, and it would have been accompanied by lots of rash judgements such as he's never going to make it in the premier league etc...

Then there'd be those criticising Bilic for taking such a big risk with a defence that was already shaky.

You know how it goes....
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Did he get any pitch time against Cologne ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby bubbles500 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:54 pm

No,highly unlikely they will sub a CB in a league game.
bubbles500

Postby HAH on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Did he get any pitch time against Cologne ?

nope 90 mins on the bench
HAH

Postby StackerJJ on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:13 am

Another game down for the lad and Zero minutes played.

Now don't get me wrong I'm sure the experience will be wonderful for the lad and he will take alit of positives away from this loan however I can't help feel that this is another case of "bad agent".

He would have probably had more opportunities at West Ham this season than BMG, for some reason I can't help but feel that his agent has played on the hype of Oxford and tried to orchestrate move as he believe he should automatically be playing instead of telling him to knuckle down and prove his worth.

Do you think he showed the same zest and maturity in training whilst here as Rice?? I don't know but I would imagine no.

There's no doubt the agent received a nice payment from this loan and I imagine that was his number one priority over what's actually best for the player.

I hope he proves me wrong and makes his way into the team and plays I just hate to see him over there on the bench not getting minutes.
StackerJJ

Postby Rocket on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am

Genuine question - how many teenagers are there playing regularly in the Bundesliga?
Rocket

Postby Rio on Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am

Loans with youngsters are not always about getting maximum game time. Sometimes it's as much as about developing character and seeing how they adapt and cope in new surroundings etc.

Let's not forget he is still only 18. Would he have gotten a lot of first team exposure this year with us? I'm not so sure. We have a lot of experienced centre halves & Rice looks to be deemed to not just have the ability, but the confidence and fortitude.

Oxford has a lot of attributes which make him 'potentially' an excellent player. I get the impression, having attended a meeting where Terry Westley gave an insight into how the youth system operates, that developing him as a person could be equally as important. Being in a different environment, seeing different ways of working and having to adapt culturally and personally could be every bit as beneficial in the long term
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion