Reece Oxford

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Reece Oxford

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 am

Good points Rio , my main concern with Oxford relate to his intelligence and maturity .I'm not convinced he has the ability to concentrate to the extent required .It's difficult for defenders of course , we've seen a £50m player , Stones, regularly make mistakes (at first) , but he may come good .The same might be true of Oxford .

I reckon the age for a PL CB to kick start his career may be around the age of 22/23

Oxford has time on his side but for my money it's those two items, intelligence and maturity that he needs to develop .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Colours never run on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:09 am

He'll learn a lot just by experiencing a different culture of football in Training, professionalism and way of life, even if he didn't play. I'm sure he'll get some game time along the way though and he is only a pup still.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby ironilunga on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:17 am

Rio wrote:Would he have gotten a lot of first team exposure this year with us? I'm not so sure. We have a lot of experienced centre halves & Rice looks to be deemed to not just have the ability, but the confidence and fortitude.

My biggest frustration with modern day top flight football is not having the luxury of being able to play players in like Oxford. I guess it will always be an unknown whether or not the likes of he and Burke would have adapted to the premier league by now had they been given a long run in the side.

5 or 6 years ago we gave Zavon Hines 30 appearances over two seasons to prove himself. Perhaps it is a measure of how far we have come as a squad that we are now unable to offer players of perhaps higher pedigree anywhere near this amount of playing time.
ironilunga

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:31 am

The German clubs lead the way in training, coaching etc esp for defenders. He will develop immensely there on all facets of his game.

There is a young english CB at stuttgart (18 I think he is) who is in the reserve squad and I saw an interview with him where he stated it was just a class above from coaching in england.

Of course, if Oxford can get a few games under his belt even better
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Rocket on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:58 am

ironilunga wrote:5 or 6 years ago we gave Zavon Hines 30 appearances over two seasons to prove himself. Perhaps it is a measure of how far we have come as a squad that we are now unable to offer players of perhaps higher pedigree anywhere near this amount of playing time.

Hines was a talented player with a bright future ahead of him until his career was ruined by injury, but he only got into the team because we were desperate.
Rocket

Postby fmgod on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:26 am

Hines talented :lol: He was crap, always crap, could just run fast, was always destined for League Two or lower, proper poor player
fmgod

Postby BenniBlanco on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:38 am

Do we really want to have Oxford in and around the toxicity that presides at our club at the moment. He is in the best place he can be, trying to break in to the first team. This will make a man of him and hopefully kick start his career. Easy to get too comfortable and distracted in London where everyone holds you in high esteem. In Germany, he will have to deliver and step up
BenniBlanco

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:48 am

fmgod wrote:Hines talented :lol: He was crap, always crap, could just run fast, was always destined for League Two or lower, proper poor player

Really ?

How often did you see him play in the flesh ? I saw him plenty and he had the quickest feet on him of any player I have seen at our place since Defoe .

He may have developed into a useful player .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Eastleigh Hammer on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:56 am

fmgod wrote:Hines talented :lol: He was crap, always crap, could just run fast, was always destined for League Two or lower, proper poor player

He was a very exciting talent at the time. He really did look like he could be a solid player but it just didn't happen for him. Gotta take a chance on players like that and I'm happy we did despite it not working out
Eastleigh Hammer

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am

Truly awful player! noticed he scored for the mighty maidstone yesterday .... lol almost 29 and at a retirement club (for a player who was suppose to be premier league standard)

I was reading up on him a bit... so he turned down a contract from us to go burnley.. bet he regrets that now as thats the only contract he has been offered at a club hes at!! been released by all the others....

West ham - Burnley - Bradford - Daggers - Southend - Maidstone

only one of those moves was a move up a division ....
mumbles87

Postby Rocket on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:23 pm

So crap that at the age of 20, he gave Jamie Carragher the absolute runaround.
Rocket

Postby fmgod on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Why do people use that one game as yard stick, yeah great he looked good in one game, I once see Spector score a hat-trick against Manchester United by that logic he is world class
fmgod

Postby Sauce! on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:32 pm

fmgod wrote:Why do people use that one game as yard stick, yeah great he looked good in one game, I once see Spector score a hat-trick against Manchester United by that logic he is world class

No you didn't.
Sauce!

Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Postby Nolan4 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:04 pm

Freddie Sears was much more talented than Hines, in my opinion. I'll never forget Trevor Brooking's face after seeing Sears score his debut goal against Blackburn. It's a shame we can't see moments like this anymore as youngsters aren't given chance to break into the first team.
Nolan4

Postby fmgod on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Nolan4 wrote:Freddie Sears was much more talented than Hines, in my opinion. I'll never forget Trevor Brooking's face after seeing Sears score his debut goal against Blackburn. It's a shame we can't see moments like this anymore as youngsters aren't given chance to break into the first team.

It's why Sears has made it though as he is a cracking footballer albeit not top level but good enough for the Championship and probably if another weaker nationality would have a few caps, compared to Hines is literally dreadful.

Sears had and deserved to be given a chance as he had the potential and talent to be a sucess, I have no problem with players like him given a go but when the likes of Hines, Widdowson and god knows who get a game or people clamour for them it's ridiculous
Last edited by fmgod on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Postby Rocket on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm

fmgod wrote:Why do people use that one game as yard stick, yeah great he looked good in one game, I once see Spector score a hat-trick against Manchester United by that logic he is world class

There's a bit of a difference between giving Carragher the runaround and scoring two goals against Kuszczak, O’Shea, Smalling, Evans and Fabio.

Anyway, anyone worth their salt knows that Jonny Specs was a world-beater. :wink:
Rocket

Postby Upminster Hammer on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Shows how good your memory is then doesn't it...
Upminster Hammer

Postby fmgod on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Oh sorry it was a brace then, still one game don't make a player in a million years or even a run of games or Amir Zaki would've signed for Real Madrid after his first 15 games at Wigan
fmgod

Postby alkali on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:42 pm

fmgod wrote:Oh sorry it was a brace then, still one game don't make a player in a million years or even a run of games or Amir Zaki would've signed for Real Madrid after his first 15 games at Wigan

Haven't you got something useful you can do instead of talking tripe on here all day? :fsake:
alkali

Postby Rocket on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:48 pm

fmgod wrote:It's why Sears has made it though as he is a cracking footballer albeit not top level but good enough for the Championship and probably if another weaker nationality would have a few caps, compared to Hines is literally dreadful.

That and the fact that Sears has never suffered a career-threatening knee injury.
Rocket

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion