Everton 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/11/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: Everton v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Did not pick up the result until 5pm, thought, yeah normal result at their place. Then, I looked at the team sheet and was astounded so many of our "big" players were missing! Considering that, plus the decisions not going our way after MOTD I was impressed how well we had done, can only be a positive that our squad is fairly strong. All in all, the future looks very good for this season. Table is as a tight as a ducks arse, but being strangely optimistic does not sit right... :)

Oh, and Tomkins, you big bell, hope SA pulls you up for it, we don't need that **** going on at our place.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Game of two halves really

First half we started so defensive and gave them far too much respect, if we started with that formation we needed to ensure we kept it 0-0 and went for a late winner. Second half we changed it up, started attacking them, Zarate started giving us someone who would drive at them and a bit of flair and we was causing all sorts of problems. We got the goal and maybe should of sat back a bit more but good to see us going forward, we got caught too far the up the field with Reid challenging Howard for the ball, quick counter and a tap in for Osman.

We didn't exploit the wings enough, Mirrallas doesn't get back, Tony Hibbert is old and slow playing on the wrong flank, we shoud of targetted him all day

Tim Howard was my man of the match, claimed so much, a weaker keeper in the air and we would of maybe scored a few more but he came out won the ball so many times.

For us
Carroll won quite a bit but had no support, no one winning the second ball, his not Drogba or Zlatan, he can't win the ball in the air, bring it down and beat two players
Amalfinito - Like him, better Gary O'Neil/Taylor
Zarate - Game suited him when he came on as he could run at players, still a bit greedy, over clever at times
Adrian - About four times he just need to take a touch and then kick it, no hit first time a few times and straight out of play, really not sold on him
Nolan - Can't play centre mid, doesn't have the pac, engine or technical abliity, if he plays needs to be right behind the striker, our midfield three was Noble, Nolan and Amal, that screams lack of pace
Vaz Te - Awful when he came on, no where near this level

Credit to Big Sam for turning the game on it's head with the subs, we went from really under pressure to really kicking on, wasn't to be our day but it's a bogey ground and we had lots of key players missing, so gutting to come away with nothing but that's football
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

saw the brief highlights last night of this game on MOTD2.

Firstly, Barkley should be ashamed of himself. cheating little ****.

Secondly, add Tomkins to that list - that was ****ing disgusting what he did.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Thought we started the game off really well defensively closing them down right from the front. Unfortunately we couldn't hang onto the ball and you can't keep up that level of pressing for long periods of the game and we eventually seemed to switch of and let them waltz through us to score. They probably deserved the goal, despite it being well offside, in fairness.

Presently surprised at how we came back into the game. Despite having none of our new stars we got on the front foot and finally began to push them back a bit. 2nd half subs were excellent and Zarate offered us the creative spark we'd been lacking - Funny player Zarate skillful and frustrating - proper West Ham I guess.

Earnt our goal, as fortunate as it was. But then caught on the sucker punch with an excellent breakaway goal, but really pleased with how we went for them. I do get annoyed at Collins hoofing it up there but to be fair to Ginge he was finding Carroll most of the time, and Carroll was winning the headers, there was just nobody to win that second ball. We really need to get Carroll facing the goal rather than have his back to it all the time. But then with no pace in the side it's hard to turn teams around.

Not great from Tomkins, he let himself get dragged down to their level, not like he's a kid like Barclay, should have known better, If the ref had given the impression that he knew what he was doing I doubt the game would have descended into farce.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

giantsteps wrote:
Fair point, but I still think it was marginal and one of those ones you get if the luck's going your way (and I don't think it was yesterday)

He was definitely 100% offside when Barkley shot, but when the ball fell to him from the deflection he may of been onside. I reckon Clattenburg can use the old 'not intefering with play' malarkey here.
No. It was 100% offside. It wasn't even marginal. It was two yards offside.
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

I'm pleased to see such reasonable reactions from both this game and Villa. Yes it's incredibly frustrating to come away from both with a solitary point, when we may have picked up 6, but it's pleasing to not see any hysteria. Yes it will have been due to our overall positive start, and the amount of injuries we had at the weekend, but it's good to see the minority of Nolan bashers to be put in their place by the majority of sound minded fans. Obviously a few more unfortunate results could change this, but I have every confidence in us turning ar this around against Newcastle :scarfer:
Messiah

Post by Messiah »

kenthammer1984 wrote: Firstly, Barkley should be ashamed of himself. cheating little ****.

Secondly, add Tomkins to that list - that was ****ing disgusting what he did.
It's these cheating foreigners coming over here, teaching our brave English lads how to cheat.

On a serious note they should both be ****ing ashamed of themselves. I would like to see Tompkins dropped from the next game for that, as Gary Monk said he would do earlier in the season.
Markt85

Post by Markt85 »

Johnzo wrote:I'm pleased to see such reasonable reactions from both this game and Villa. Yes it's incredibly frustrating to come away from both with a solitary point, when we may have picked up 6, but it's pleasing to not see any hysteria. Yes it will have been due to our overall positive start, and the amount of injuries we had at the weekend, but it's good to see the minority of Nolan bashers to be put in their place by the majority of sound minded fans. Obviously a few more unfortunate results could change this, but I have every confidence in us turning ar this around against Newcastle :scarfer:

Agree with this. A couple of blip results and our fans are being level headed about it. No stupid over reaction, no blaming Nolan for everything. And big sam getting a break. Good to see
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

That's because all we'd asked for was an attempt to play football, which is what we're doing.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Billydinho wrote:That's because all we'd asked for was an attempt to play football, which is what we're doing.
It's more to do with us being in the top 6 rather than the bottom 6.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

EugeneSpeed wrote:Cracking view at the game. Dread to think what the restricted view seats are like.

If everyone sat down you might have a better view. Just a thought like.... :hush:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

carnage wrote:
It's more to do with us being in the top 6 rather than the bottom 6.
It's definitely to do with the football. We're going away from home trying to do something other than defend a 2-0 defeat.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2035 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

It is indeed more to do with the football than being in the top 6.

Clapped off a 0-0 draw with Aston Villa, booed off a 2-1 win against Hull.

We tried to win this seasons game against Villa, and put on a performance. Against Hull we tried to sit on a 1-0 lead at home to 10 men.

There was also booing in a 2-1 win against Derby because of how negative we were, and we were in the top 10 then, or at least around it.

Sam would not have received the same amount of stick last season in our position battling relegation, had the football been different. I'm not saying it's all his fault, and there are many reason why this did/didn't happen. But I'm sure that most of our supporters are not there supporting West Ham for the results.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

Looks like some other people might need to admit they were wrong now eh :wink:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:It is indeed more to do with the football than being in the top 6.

Clapped off a 0-0 draw with Aston Villa, booed off a 2-1 win against Hull.
It's really not as black and white as that though is it? You're comparing a game in the first half of the season by a team sat nice and comfortable in the league with a game at the tail end of last season that virtually secured premiership status.

Have the Villa game at the end of the season, make it a game that we'd need to win to get into Europe and people might not be so philosophical about the draw and the performance. It's a lot easier to shrug off dropped points when you're comfortable in the league.

Here's to a season of philosophical shruggery!! :scarfer:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1857 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The FA have charged both West Ham and Everton for the brawl just before half time

“Everton and West Ham United have been charged by The FA following their game on 22 November 2014. It is alleged that in or around the 40th minute of the fixture, both clubs failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion. The clubs have until 6pm on 1 December 2014 to respond to the charge.”

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

In responding to the charge I would suggest if the referee had correctly sent off whoever it was for the horror tackle, there wouldn't have been a mass brawl.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Have the FA charged Clattenberg and his linos of impersonating a professional set of PL officials too.....?
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Clattenberg's utter incompetence strikes again, sooner he's sacked off for good the better
StoneHammer
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StoneHammer »

I've just watched (late I know) Martinez's interview after the game and he called it a 'good, honest tackle'. I wonder if he'd call it that if someone had done it to Barkley. Something tells me he'd be singing from a different hymn sheet then.

He also twisted every way possible when called on Barkley diving and ended up saying that because he's so strong and so technical, that sometimes he falls over when trying to accelerate :lol:

Every word out of his mouth was pathetic.