West Ham Utd 2-0 Leicester City (20/12/14)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Leicester City: match thread

Post by Rocketron »

richneal wrote:
. Perhaps that's the difference between the top half of the table and the bottom half.
No "perhaps" about it.
We needed to not concede to stay in the division.
If we want to be contenders we need to score.
Thankfully, this season, we are.
Markt85

Post by Markt85 »

Although not as technically gifted as most players K.Nolan is so important for us. I really don't get why fans can't see what he brings for us , he's actual presence on the pitch raises are game - Big Sam called him over loads yesterday to give instructions to others, he's the boss on the pitch, with so much experiance and constantly screaming at team mates (and the ref) even that gives us an extra 10%.

It's great we have so many options. But Nolan is the most important player we have in this squad and he has been since the day he joined.

Another excellent 3 points yesterday. Well done West Ham.
Cambiasso
Has liked: 244 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Cambiasso »

Turns to Stone wrote:For me, Zarate's best position is currently occupied by Downing (my HOTY) so far. Zarate got his big chance against West Brom and didn't take it. Not that I don't think he should be in and around the side (as he is) but I think whilst we're winning and whilst Valencia,Sakho, Downing and Carroll are playing so well he wil have to wait his turn.
I have to disagree. He's a forward. He shouldn't play at the tip of the diamond. Due to the nature of his game, he's liable to lose the ball. Downing is much more disciplined in this respect, retains possession, and re-distributes the ball. That's what's needed at the tip of the diamond. If he does play in that position, then he needs a solid midfield behind him to do the defensive work. When he has played at the tip of the diamond, he hasn't had a full strenght midfield to support him.

Zarate hasn't yet had a proper run out -- especially in his natural position. I'd like to see him played as a forward with one of Sakho/Caroll supported by a midfield of Noble/Song/Downing/Amalfitano.

He was good enough to play at Lazio and Inter, but not good enough for West Ham? For me, he's the best overall finisher of the ball at the club by far. We'll do fine without him, but we could do better with him.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I love this piece of descriptive story telling from The Mirror
West Ham's biggest concern in this match came six minutes after the break when the irrepressible Carroll slipped while chasing over to close down right-back Danny Simpson and clattered into the advertising hoardings. But after a hush went round the Boleyn Ground, the centre-forward re-emerged to great applause.
:lol: Nicely written!
Thedogsbilic

Post by Thedogsbilic »

"There's only 1 James Bond" from the Leicester fans to the steward with 007 on his back,
who promptly went arse over tit when trying to get over the advertising board.. :lol:
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

This was my eleven-year old's first game and she absolutely loved it. Even the bacon roll outside the ground, she's an incurable optimist. The roar when AC scored the first was a new experience for her, all very exciting and she came straight home and stuck the free poster that came with the programme up on her bedroom wall. In between Benedict Cumberbatch and a wolf.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Cambiasso wrote: He was good enough to play at Inter, but not good enough for West Ham?

He scored 2 goals in 22 games at Inter, a league Balotelli banged the goals in.

He has done nothing to suggest he makes the team better, in fact he is a show pony( and a poor one at that) who is greedy and makes poor decisions.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Couldn't make the game yesterday and not seen it, so can't comment on the game. However, being a pedant, he has 3 in six starts, not 3 in 5
Oh look it's the smart arse from Crouch End correcting me again.

His last 5 starts. There. All correct and proper, just for you.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Zarate is toilet compared to our other options.

Carroll and Sakho are the best partnership by a distance at this moment in time. Pleased that's who we're going with.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Oh look it's the smart arse from Crouch End correcting me again.

His last 5 starts. There. All correct and proper, just for you.
Strange stat to use then. He has three in three, so seems odd why you would use five games to make a point
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

It was mentioned on the telly, that's why I used it.

And there you go trying to be a smart arse again.

You're like an irritating itch you can't quite reach.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

carnage wrote:
He scored 2 goals in 22 games at Inter, a league Balotelli banged the goals in.

He has done nothing to suggest he makes the team better, in fact he is a show pony( and a poor one at that) who is greedy and makes poor decisions.
Tbf, he played on the wing in Italy, so it's not really comparable.

I also disagree with your second point and in all honesty I think you and other posters have just stereotyped him based on his reputation before. He has a lot of ability and flair, and in his 7 appearances he could have passed the ball more, but he wasn't "greedy". I actually saw quite a lot of creative passing too, particularly when he came on against Newcastle.

You also must consider the leagues that he has played in have a slower tempo of football and allow more time on the ball, so he may be having problems adjusting to the physical side to the prem. Not saying he should be starting, Sakho and Valencia suit our style of play better.
Kialos
Has liked: 1544 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Our best performances were Sakho / Valencia partnership earlier in the season IMO I don't think Sakho has been the same player since his strike partner was changed.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

People slagging off Zarate just to get back at people slagging off Nolan! :lol:

Can't we just agree they're both great options to have off the bench and in the squad?? Noble should be starting when he's fit over both of them. I like Zarate, he's one of the few attacking midfielders we have at the club who can take it past his man with a bit of trickery. Please give it a rest
Last edited by Irrons on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil S
Has liked: 460 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

Kialos wrote:Our best performances were Sakho / Valencia partnership earlier in the season IMO I don't think Sakho has been the same player since his strike partner was changed.
he's only played a game and a half hasn't he?

he was great against Swansea in the half he played
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4404 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Kialos wrote:Our best performances were Sakho / Valencia partnership earlier in the season IMO I don't think Sakho has been the same player since his strike partner was changed.
I think the opposition have changed their attitudes to us.

We aren't 'rubbish old West Ham, lose most weeks' any more. We're top 4. People know we're a pretty decent team and set up more respectfully/cautiously, IMO.

It's why people shouldn't write Zarate off. He's got a something a bit different to the big men or speedsters.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Yes true. I think his goals will dry up now we're playing direct again.

But he was giving it everything yesterday. Getting up for headers, holding it and knocking it on etc. He's obviously been told to do this, and he was doing it competently. Fair play to the bloke.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

giantsteps wrote:
Yes true. I think his goals will dry up now we're playing direct again.

But he was giving it everything yesterday. Getting up for headers, holding it and knocking it on etc. He's obviously been told to do this, and he was doing it competently. Fair play to the bloke.
Yep, fair play to him and agree.

We are 4th, no one could have dreamed of that at the start of the season, it's bloody lovely, but..

AC has been working his socks off, scored some goals and it is great to see him sharp and fully fit. There is no doubt though that with him in the starting eleven we are playing more direct. People will call me fickle, and perhaps I am, but I enjoyed watching us more without AC in the side. Perhaps it is more to do with the fact we are missing Noble than AC playing??? Either way, we have lost that fluidity we had.

But we are 4th!!! Trying not to come across that I'm picking holes, as the league table says we are doing everything right!!! Funny old game...
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

wizzo_66 wrote:Zarate is toilet compared to our other options.

Carroll and Sakho are the best partnership by a distance at this moment in time. Pleased that's who we're going with.
I think he is probably the best finisher at the club (his goals have been outstanding) however he doesnt get in enough positions (not used to the league I think)

I say this because Carroll with his feet isnt the most clinical, (the miss on sat sums it up)
Valencia is hot and cold.. I mean scores a worldly then next week takes a free kick almost out the stadium.
Sakho whilst is our top scorer could have a lot more.. look at the swansea game where he hit both posts from close range etc etc.. but because he gets himself in so many decent positions he scores a lot of goals.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

anyone know what the fight was about in chavs corner ?