good bye and god bless the boleyn

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: good bye and god bless the boleyn

Postby Samba on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Just went to Nathan's.
Popped round the back to have a check.
It's gone guys, it's all gone. Nothing now remaining.
Thanks to those cvcc'c.

RIP UPTON PARK/BOLEYN GROUND

Forever in our hearts... :crest:
Samba

Postby MooresTheHero on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:22 pm

Samba wrote:Just went to Nathan's.
Popped round the back to have a check.
It's gone guys, it's all gone. Nothing now remaining.
Thanks to those cvcc'c.

RIP UPTON PARK/BOLEYN GROUND

Forever in our hearts...

Barstewards :(
MooresTheHero

Postby hammerleroy on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:37 pm

I can never go back after that great final night. Anyone know if the Boleyn pub is gonna shut its doors for good as well? :(
hammerleroy

Postby jamine16 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:31 pm

I drove past yesterday and it's completely gone now.

Just a big empty space, made me quite emotional.
jamine16

Postby Kialos on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I went back today, the first time since I collected my old seat in June 16 think it was. I was surprised that I was in tears because I knew what to expect. As I posted on twitter, we are there is spirit and always will be :crest:

This is from Green Street, the entrance towards the car park/ticket office nearest the school

Priory Road where the East Stand was

View of where the ground was taken from the Supporters Club

Kialos

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:05 pm

David Gold
David Sullivan
Karren Brady

Never forgive them , and never forget they did this , and as much as I want to support the Supporters club I won't be going back.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:19 pm

In just over 12 months, practically every historical detail of the club, from its ground, its badge, even its status, has been, on the worst case scenario, eradicated, and, on the best, updated, for the modern game.

And, tomorrow, against a team that just drops £30M on players few on here had ever really paid any attention to at all, we have to play a game without 4 or 5 first team regulars.

All I've really done, in truth, is to withdraw my paltry financial contribution.

In return for all the changes, what truly has the current board at WHUFC, sorry West Ham London, really done to improve our level on this playing field?

Towards them, cynical is and always has been my middle name. It still numbs me, though, to see these new pictures.

Gone. All now gone, for a lease, in a stadium, built for other sports, that even the best cameramen cannot disguise from being half-full after 75 minutes.

A real shocker.
prophet:marginal

Postby Bamber Gascoigne on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:17 pm

the pink palermo wrote:David Gold
David Sullivan
Karren Brady

Never forgive them , and never forget they did this..........

:thup:
Bamber Gascoigne

Postby simonirons on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Shocking.
simonirons

Postby NorthBankAlliance on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Hope the 85% are still pleased with themselves...
NorthBankAlliance

Postby Thekorean on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 pm

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Hope the 85% are still pleased with themselves...

I get the new home is far far from great. But you thought Boleyn was going to be home of Hammers forever? I didn't, regardless of Sullivan/Gold/Brady.
Thekorean

Postby ageing hammer on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Hope the 0.85% are still pleased with themselves...

Corrected for you :x
ageing hammer

Postby Junco Partner on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:08 am

Here a tower shinning bright
Once stood gleaming in the night
Where now there's just the rubble
In the hole...

Oh the torn up ticket stubs
From a hundred thousand mugs
Now washed away like daydreams in the rain
And the car-parks going up
And they're pulling down the pubs
And it's just another bloody rainy day...

Oh sweet city of my dreams
Of speed and skill and schemes
Like Atlantis you just disappeared from view...

So sad.
Junco Partner

Location: Rude and reckless, crude and feckless, been drinking brew for breakfast

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 am

I wish they'd left us something, just something.

I've been visiting ruined temples. Some were destroyed by Siam, some by Khmers, some from US ordnance, but there remains a spirit of place.

The shabby 'memorial garden' sums up how they never gave a **** and wanted Year Zero. So do the pathetic 'nods' from the developers to the history which comes down to a marker at the centre circle.

Compare our move with Arsenal's. One retained a garden, the other as many flats as possible crammed in. One gave their suppprters a state of the art football ground, the other 23 days rent of an athletics ground with scaffolding.

Ten ton of propaganda will never hide the truth known to us for whom May 2016 will forever be one of the most heightened emotional days of our lives. But when we are gawn they'll be nowt left but photos.

The wall that runs along the side of the vestry is all that physically remains of the old ground which, I think, was built circa '55. I go into the church occasionally as although I'm not remotely religious let alone Catholic, it's the closest I can get to the past.

When I'm back I'll post some photos of my restored turnstile that I bought in the auction. It was there from 1914 and the outbreak of the Great War until I took it away determined to preserve something. I have it at home topped up with flowers and it is my small shrine to my father, my grandfather and to my memories.

People ask what's different? What's the difference between going now to going then? Well, it was sacred to some of us, my favourite acre on the planet and that's all I know really.

It somehow seems symptomatic of a Western malaise to me that we knock things down without acknowledging the past for the sake of a 'progress' which is often a regression. Capital over spirit.

We not only lost our home, we've lost our way.
Doc H Ball

Postby Dazzaboy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 am

If I was a multi billionaire I'd buy the club, buy back the area where the Boleyn was and build a new stadium and move us back.

I'm not but one can dream.
Dazzaboy

Postby hammerleroy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

With you Dazzaboy. You can have my contribution but you better get a move on or I won't live to see it built. Went there for over fifty years and we just ain't West Ham anymore. Of course we all want to see us do well but the pessimist in me sees us doing a Leeds/Birmingham/Villa eventually. The Dave's and Lady Brady will be long gone and we'll no doubt have exotic new owners in due course. I'm sorry but 35,000 every home game was fine by me but as plenty will say on here I'm just an old dinosaur! :(
hammerleroy

Postby OFT on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 am

Thekorean wrote:. But you thought Boleyn was going to be home of Hammers forever? I didn't, regardless of Sullivan/Gold/Brady.

Perhaps not, but it's not just The Boleyn Ground being razed, the whole fabric of the club seems to have been dismissed as if it had no meaning. The next 98 years however is going to be forever for all for us on here.
Seeing the dreadful photos in this thread not only shows what we've lost but what we could have had, right there in that now empty space.
We kick off today in a stadium also in a 'built-up' area that has been developed gradually and to great effect, Liverpool are doing the same, Spurs too, it pains me to say.
These things can be achieved if there is a will to try, there wasn't that will 'upstairs'
OFT

Postby pbenjy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:24 am

Different team. Different sport. Different country. But, Springsteen says it well for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3QleE_vhWo
pbenjy

Postby hammerman11 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 am

been going since 1977 and had a last visit before the palace game. a pint in the queens with a few west ham fans and then off to the bowl we went. it is not the same. of course it isnt but its gone now.
we go through the carpenters estate stopping at the bull builders and the carpenters.
Its a bit like old times in there.
the walk to the bowl is sanitised and not full of west ham stalls. a few small traders like the Ribman will hopefully get pitches and over time things will settle down.

the old girl has gone RIP The Boleyn Ground, always in our hears.

COYI
hammerman11

Postby The Old Mile End on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 am

Doc and PP have summed it up.

Those who did it, and what they did.

It is right to compare with Highbury. Take a look at what they did to that old ground and the commitment made by the club and the developers to preserve the history of the ground. Check it out. They made flats out of the old stands. They left the big gun on the wall. They even preserved the marble entrance hall. You cannot miss where Highbury was. They moved, but the people responsible left something behind to respect their history and show where they had been.

Contrast that to the two bob lot that have the say in West Ham United FC. GSB have zero class and zero respect for the history of this club, it's people of today, and it's people of yesterday. Search, and you will not find equivalent statements made by this lot or the developers to those of Arsenal for example. GSB could not wait to get rid and move out.

The small memorial garden, (which GSB left to rot by and large and "cared" for only when prodded), will be all that is left. It will be moved to what was once the centre circle and form a small garden of some sort. It will be all that remains - and it will not even be original. The arrangement of peoples memorials, ashes, photo's, etc will be left to some unconnected person to determine where they lie - and presumably what to keep - and maybe for how long.

Moving was bad enough for some of us. Some of us can tell you - there is no other level. But to leave without a trace is totally unforgiveable and unforgettable. These people had a responsibility and a duty to honour what went before. The fact that they have failed to do so is absolute proof that they have no understanding whatsoever of the people of West Ham. They simply don't get us.

I will go back many times, the place will never leave me. I would have liked something to see. But they have denied that to me and countless others. Wherever they take us, I will never forgive or forget.

Good bye, and God bless the Boleyn.
:crest:
The Old Mile End

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion