good bye and god bless the boleyn

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: good bye and god bless the boleyn

Postby Aycliffe on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 pm

njmacleod wrote:Not a bad read:

Gone Grounds. The Upton Park story (part one)

http://readtheleague.com/the-big-feature/gone-grounds-upton-park-part-one

Terrific read, looking for part 2 now!!
Aycliffe

Postby The Old Mile End on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:I try and get down at least once a month, primarily to hop the memorial garden fence and give it bit of a tidy up seeing as the club couldn't give one **** about it.

Top man HH52 :thup:

The club has behaved disgracefully in this regard. They have shown no respect whatsoever to the families and supporters that the memorial garden is for.

The club has shown a total disregard for the whole site. There is no legacy left behind.

I believe the memorial garden will eventually be moved to where the centre circle once was and be in the new development. Someone will have to maintain it as time goes by. I can't see it lasting too many years to be honest.

I happened to see the old Arsenal stadium on tv today. Total contrast to what they did and what we did. Considering our board looks up to the Arse, you'd think they might have at least tried to copy some of what they did in their move. Sadly not.

What is left of the Boleyn is reflective of the regard this board have for us and our heritage. Nothing.
The Old Mile End

Postby Row X on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:31 pm

The Old Mile End wrote:

I happened to see the old Arsenal stadium on tv today. Total contrast to what they did and what we did. Considering our board looks up to the Arse, you'd think they might have at least tried to copy some of what they did in their move. Sadly not.

What is left of the Boleyn is reflective of the regard this board have for us and our heritage. Nothing.

The east and West Stands at Highbury were listed, so had to be part of the redevolpment, that really kept it looking like their old ground.

Unfortunately, the MDF Towers never got Listed status.
Row X

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 pm

The low-grade towers didn't deserve listed status, in and of themselves.

The chicken run did, though.
prophet:marginal

Postby e-20 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:50 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:The low-grade towers didn't deserve listed status, in and of themselves.

The chicken run did, though.

I was in the Chicken Run/East stand when brand new I remember the opening season and cringe to remember dear old Brian Moore describe it as something less than impressive to paraphrase. That's pretty damning considering what was in existence and being built around that time and what was there before it all the initial excitement was blown away (sound familiar?), but sadly a rather fair reflection of where the club was and what we could expect. Mind you not having pillars was a luxury at that time.
e-20

Postby brownout on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:
lifeless dump built on lies.

Pretty much sums it up.
brownout

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:40 am

Row X wrote:The east and West Stands at Highbury were listed, so had to be part of the redevolpment, that really kept it looking like their old ground.Unfortunately, the MDF Towers never got Listed status.

The MDF towers were shocking it has to be said! Mind you a covering of old castle style facing brick would have made a big difference.

Regardless of being listed, both the Bobby Moore and the West Stand could have easily been converted to flats with a bit of imagination. The West Stand even had a hotel inside it. Both of these could have been incorporated into a new design. The iron gates could have remained too - an exact copy of the John Lyall gates along side the memorial in situ would have looked pretty good IMHO.

There's actually more of the Memorial Ground left still standing today than there will ever be of the Boleyn. And we were there for less than ten years.
The Old Mile End

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Gold just tweeted something about the Champions' statue going to the Olympic Park.

I thought it was staying where it should?

Cheapskate ****er should pay for a replica.
Doc H Ball

Postby derek zoolander on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:09 pm

We sold our home, history and heritage so that Sullivan & Gold could pay off the external debt remaining on the club.

Forget all that bull**** about next level & keeping up with the competition. We were doing that anyway. Plenty of clubs far smaller than us do it.

The entire experience is a shadow of its former self.

Loved that place, to me it was football.

We’re plastic now. Laughable outfit. I was going to say you could be at any stadium nowadays when you go to the OS, we’re just that vanilla, but actually that’s not true. Because 95% of stadiums are far superior to that complete dog turd of a stadium we have.
derek zoolander

Postby cockney hammer on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 pm

derek zoolander wrote:We sold our home, history and heritage so that Sullivan & Gold could pay off the external debt remaining on the club.

Forget all that bull**** about next level & keeping up with the competition. We were doing that anyway. Plenty of clubs far smaller than us do it.

The entire experience is a shadow of its former self.

Loved that place, to me it was football.

We’re plastic now. Laughable outfit. I was going to say you could be at any stadium nowadays when you go to the OS, we’re just that vanilla, but actually that’s not true. Because 95% of stadiums are far superior to that complete dog turd of a stadium we have.

feel for you mate went to ercan for our dinner last night stood there looking at the cranes like i said before thet tore it down all it was about was money

nothing you can do now sadly the deed is done what you need is a purpose built stadium or tearing down the one you have and start afresh

very sadly i think there would be no chance ot any of them happining think you have to hope they sell up to some mega rich oligarch
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Colours never run on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:29 pm

Question is, could we ever envisage reviving what we had or close to it elsewhere should it continue to fail as it already has done, or is this now as good as it gets and condemned to a miserable future? Do we have a breaking point?
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Pop Robson on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:52 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:Gold just tweeted something about the Champions' statue going to the Olympic Park.

I thought it was staying where it should?

Cheapskate ****er should pay for a replica.

Links a bit out of date but it should stay put.

https://www.change.org/p/historic-engla ... -it-listed

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/re ... -1-4567827

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/ca ... -1-4557188
Pop Robson

Postby bonzosbeard on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Great article about the ground. I'm sure we had four different West Stands. I wonder what was on East side before the chicken run.
bonzosbeard

Postby Samba on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:03 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:Great article about the ground. I'm sure we had four different West Stands. I wonder what was on East side before the chicken run.

Don't know mate but pretty sure it wasn't toxic, radioactive waste!
Samba

Postby brothernero on Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Not been back the Upton Park area since the Final game. Don't think I ever will. :(
brothernero

Postby Vienna on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:30 pm

brothernero wrote:Not been back the Upton Park area since the Final game. Don't think I ever will. :(

Me neither, couldn't face it.
Vienna

Postby Vienna on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 pm

We should note that London Stadium is closer to our historic Memorial Ground than Upton Park.
Vienna

Postby Colours never run on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Only by geographical distance, but for everything else it couldn't be further away about what we are and should be.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby MrHammer73 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Cracking article by John Dillon. Finally journos are waking up to the farce of our 'home' stadium.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 95071.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrHammer73

Postby brothernero on Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 pm

Vienna wrote:We should note that London Stadium is closer to our historic Memorial Ground than Upton Park.

So what, how long was we there for compared to the Boleyn. Utterly pointless thing to note imho.

The London Stadium will never ever be our home, but will only ever be a rented soulless bowl.

Not always in agreement with CNR, but re his above post. 100% agree.
brothernero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion