West Ham Utd 1-3 Crystal Palace (28/02/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham United v Crystal Palace: Match Thread

Post by Romford »

Also anyone notice how many times the keeper went long....straight to Jedinak.

How we couldn't even do the basics right was poor....we HAVE to build from the back when we are playing Sakho and Valencia.

What are they doing at Chadwell Heath all week ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bubbles1966 wrote:Agree completely. My fault for putting the mockers on Dean beforehand. :)
The 3rd goal...started with a blatant handball then a bloke who had already dived 3 times after being warned of the next offence runs onto a ball and completely stops waiting for the defender to clatter into him.

How a ref as rated as Dean fell for that was inexplicable.....
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Romford wrote:Sam never plays to the crowd....when he gets things wrong, people can only accuse him.
Probably a poor turn of phrase from me.

What I meant was that against a physical team that thrive on set pieces, he possibly should have set up with one up top, with a five in midfield to keep a high line and stop the set piece threat on goal. Nolan would have had Murray's card early doors and kept the ref on it.

With Carlton and Andy out, I think he bottled it due to pressure from the Joint Chairman in the media.

Ideally you would play Downing wide left, Song and Kouyate in the centre with Noble wide right and Nolan sitting off Sakho.

The trouble is he has been criticised for starting Nolan, playing Downing on the left and not being adventurous enough by playing "the diamond."
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Probably a poor turn of phrase from me.

What I meant was that against a physical team that thrive on set pieces, he possibly should have set up with one up top, with a five in midfield to keep a high line and stop the set piece threat on goal. Nolan would have had Murray's card early doors and kept the ref on it.

With Carlton and Andy out, I think he bottled it due to pressure from the Joint Chairman in the media.

Ideally you would play Downing wide left, Song and Kouyate in the centre with Noble wide right and Nolan sitting off Sakho.

The trouble is he has been criticised for starting Nolan, playing Downing on the left and not being adventurous enough by playing "the diamond."
Sam was defo "Out-Sammed" by Pards.....I honestly think he under-estimated them mate

Ginge was the obvious choice...and the full backs needed help with their wingers hence the 442 or 4411 would had made sense.

Nobody has said anything about missing Amalfi either.....
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Romford wrote:The 3rd goal...started with a blatant handball then a bloke who had already dived 3 times after being warned of the next offence runs onto a ball and completely stops waiting for the defender to clatter into him.

How a ref as rated as Dean fell for that was inexplicable.....
I though i was watching the Harlem Globetrotters.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Yep Rom completely agree
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

I don't know what went wrong yesterday but we were poor. Very very poor indeed. Most of the time they couldn't even control a ball into feet. Nobody was on the same wave length. The amount of times I saw our players not even jump for headers was ridiculous. They looked more like they were playing a friendly than trying to get their mojo back after such heartbreak last week.

I don't know who is to blame but the whole team were to blame. Whether that was Sams tactics, lack of inspiration from the manager or the players just not being bother is anyone's guess. Regardless I like many other Hammers was utterly pissed off last night.

Still am if I'm honest.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Ginge should have started yesterday. Song had a mare and Noble carried him.

3 set piece goals? Just like the old days :cry:
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Romford wrote:How we couldn't even do the basics right was poor....we HAVE to build from the back when we are playing Sakho and Valencia.
And we were so much better when we started building from the back. I'm just amazed it took 3 goals conceded for us to establish it.

Playing long balls to Valencia is just ridculous. He's about 4 and a half foot tall.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

arlhe wrote:Ginge should have started yesterday. Song had a mare and Noble carried him.

3 set piece goals? Just like the old days :cry:
Happening all too often now isn't it, I thought Sam was big on stats? I don't want that to look like a dig but we all know he's huge on stats and hates conceding from set pieces.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

bristolhammerfc wrote:.What I meant was that against a physical team that thrive on set pieces, he possibly should have set up with one up top, with a five in midfield to keep a high line and stop the set piece threat on goal.
Interesting how we can have different perspectives on the same match.
I've watched the entire game twice on space telly, and to me it looked like we were lined up with five across the middle. Valencia was wide as part of a midfield five.

Whenever we had the ball Valencia then moved up top - as we've seen a few times before. Difference with this match was that when we had the ball, Kouyate was right in between Sakho and Valencia, making runs down the middle - obviously trying to draw the defenders wide and create space. He was up there with the strikers.

We've not seen our midfield do this before with Kouyate. We did this for the whole of the first half and it just didn't work. This couldn't have been the decision of the players on the pitch - it could only have come from the coaches.

It didn't work. It was obviously not working from the word go. We could barely muster a shot on goal from open play for the whole first half - certainly not a shot on goal. Interesting gamble, but it failed miserably - wrong tactics. Pardew made us look like mugs, which is no mean feat because we have by far the stronger 11 out there.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote: with Noble wide right
A large chunk of the problem, Bristol.

Absolutely no pace in our game, so we revert to spraying it across the line between their 18 yard box and the half way line half of the time.

A lot of the time if Noble finds himself in space, he won't run with it. He'll find a player usually making a bog-standard pass (unusually a killer pass) and slow the play up.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

didn't see why we had to keep getting it down to jenks to dink it across when sakho was being gangbanged by four of theirs.

the few of times we did cut it back we hit the post, got a goal and forced a worldie save.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 4388 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

richneal wrote: Kouyate was right in between Sakho and Valencia, making runs down the middle - obviously trying to draw the defenders wide and create space. He was up there with the strikers.

We've not seen our midfield do this before with Kouyate.
That's a good point. Rich.

I felt we pushed Kouyate on with a view to him winning flick ons at times.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Not sure if posted already..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Sakho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope they throw the book at him the dirty ****er
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

bubbles1966 wrote:That's a good point. Rich.

I felt we pushed Kouyate on with a view to him winning flick ons at times.
Was Allardyce trying to get him to play the Nolan role? :lol:

I haven't re-watched the game in detail but if we actually were trying to play like that perhaps it's one of the reasons why we were so ineffective and ended up 0-3 down. If it ain't broke...
jdick

Post by jdick »

Totally out enthused. I think we probably lost all the 50/50 balls. Palace wanted it more
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

we seem to be suffering from an undeserved superiority complex lately. Anyone we play in the lower half of the league we play like a training game. The palace performance was very similar to the west brom one, the main difference being that west brom are a better team than palace. Alladyce complains that he warned the players about set pieces, so why not start with collins then? Against Spurs our midfield out fought theirs completely. This time only Noble seemed to have any desire at all. Song was asleep, downing was missing in action and Kayoate (sorry about the spelling) seemed like a headless chicken.
Finally, when oh when will West Ham find a manager who can make telling substitutions? Or even make them in time to change the game.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 4388 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Watch the second as well, the ball deflects off Winston's head.
Phil S
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

simonirons wrote:Not sure if posted already..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Sakho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope they throw the book at him the dirty ****er
Good, no need for that at all, dirty bassad