Harry Kane (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Harry Kane (non WHU)

Postby ThreeSixes on Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am

Patito wrote:

Guilty! :oops:

Purely based that on what I'd seen of him before he broke into Spurs' first team. Think he's proved me a bit wrong now...

Fair play to you
ThreeSixes

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri May 19, 2017 9:31 am

Joking aside, he has very little back lift when taking a shot that seems to take keepers by surprise. It's a fine art that hasn't been since Beegkamp.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby fjthegrey on Fri May 19, 2017 9:36 am

Hasselbaink used to do it as well. Didn't even seem to pull his leg back and he'd unleash a rocket.
fjthegrey

Postby chigwells finest on Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 am

lets face it, we dont like him ,because he plays for spurs
chigwells finest

Postby DasNutNock on Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am

fjthegrey wrote:Hasselbaink used to do it as well. Didn't even seem to pull his leg back and he'd unleash a rocket.

Phenomenal power, that guy. Patrik Berger was another one whose clean strikes of the ball seemed to come with little movement of the leg.
DasNutNock

Postby cowelly2006 on Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am

thejackhammer wrote:I don't know what it is, but whenever I watch Tottenham he looks so distinctly average, nothing stand out about him. Then out of nowhere he scores. And then he scores again.

It's bizarre.

Totally with you on this, but a strikers job is to score goals and he does it well.

In terms of being "world class" (whatever that means!) my only niggling doubt is the level of premier league defending. Too soon to judge him in an England shirt or the champions league but that's the only next level he needs to crack on a consistent basis.
cowelly2006

Postby YorksHammer on Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 am

I think he's improved massively as a technical player since his first (PL) season - that season he was raw as heck, and it showed at times, but he got goals. Last season he was better but there were still kinks in his game that revealed themselves from time to time.

But it seems like over last summer and this season he's become a much better ball player, much faster thinker, and generally improved all round. Credit to him.

Not sure I really have anything bad to say about him, despite him being Spurs - always good to see a young English player do well. Who was the last player to score 20+ goals in three consecutive Premier League seasons? Probably Henry in the early 2000s?
YorksHammer

Postby hammerleroy on Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 am

After seeing that to think Wenger moaned that we were "on the beach" v the Mickeys. No mention of full-strength Stoke being "on the beach" the day before when they let the Arse walk all over them! Ho hum! :)
hammerleroy

Postby wigwig on Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 am

He's made the very best of his talent and attributes in that he has worked on his game to drag himself up to the level he's playing at today. I think when we look at him playing his all round game doesn't seem that amazing but he is absolutely lethal in front of goal. If he transferred that form to a major international tournament he'll go down as an England great.
wigwig

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

He's never scored a goal at the London Stadium though has he!
claretandblue82

Postby jaybs on Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am

Kane must be catching up with our Andy! lol
jaybs

Postby Westcliffspur on Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

Kane has scored 51 times in his last 61 Prem games. You can't argue with that. He's a modern day Greavsie.
Westcliffspur

Postby Clacton-ammer on Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:Well I am going to go against the grain, I think the boy is the real deal, just going through a blip. He will get back to scoring goals.

Self praise is no praise, I know, but I am just happy (I think) I can still see a talented footballer :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Patito on Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am

Westcliffspur wrote: He's a modern day Greavsie.

Until you compare their England records that is...
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby bubbles500 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:23 am

He's not physically the easiest on the eye ,not the supreme looking athlete like a lukaku .his pace is aaverage and no real dribbling ability .There are definitely games where you barely notice he is playing .saying that when given a chance he is lethal from 6 yards or 20 yards or with his head .he rarely shots off target always makes the keeper work .his strength and touch have improved a lot this season I think .tgat 1st goal last night looked easy but he was running at full pelt but tucked it away .as said he has made the best of his attributes .i think if he looked better as a physical specimen people would rave more
bubbles500

Postby mumbles87 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 am

Patito wrote:
Until you compare their England records that is...

compare the quality of england players supporting him tho
mumbles87

Postby Colours never run on Fri May 19, 2017 12:07 pm

thejackhammer wrote:I don't know what it is, but whenever I watch Tottenham he looks so distinctly average, nothing stand out about him. Then out of nowhere he scores. And then he scores again.

It's bizarre.

I don't get why I've always seen a class player who does more than just bang them in, yet others think there's not much too his game bar the goals. He's always worked tirelessly like a dog giving nothing up from start to finish he's at it 100mph. I remember watching Spurs getting thumped away to Man Utd in his first spell of scoring regularly thinking so his attitude towards the game is outstanding even though Man Utd were 3-0 up by half time he never let up and his enthusiasm rubbed off on his team mates who picked up in the 2nd half. He's relentless and never gives the opposition a moment's rest. His link up play is also top quality rarely wasting possession then his movement is 1st class ghosting into positions to score. His shooting range is also outstanding being able to score from anywhere in and around the box. He's ideally built for the rigours of the Premier League brushing off defenders with ease and quick off the mark.

The onky thing I despise abiut his game though is his compulsion to dive. He's quite snide at it too which isn't always easy to pick it up by the naked eye but he's definitely a well practiced cheat who the Refs keep falling for awarding him dubious penalties.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby mumbles87 on Fri May 19, 2017 12:09 pm

In regards to his England Record he has 17 caps and only 5 goals so far

Shearer ended up on 30 goals from 63 caps for england and in his first 21 caps got 5 goals

hes only 23 for crying out loud lol

wouldnt be surprised if he breaks shearers premier league record

and id say he will outscore shearer for england
mumbles87

Postby Patito on Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm

mumbles87 wrote:
compare the quality of england players supporting him tho

Very true. 5 in 17 is hardly anything to write home about though.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Patito on Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Colours never run wrote:

I don't get why I've always seen a class player who does more than just bang them in, yet others think there's not much too his game bar the goals.

I agree with you. It might be because he keeps his game simple and sensible. He isn't going to run at players like Hazard or Sanchez so doesn't stand out sometimes, but his movement is outstanding and his link up play is too. He rarely wastes possession either.
Patito

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion