And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby Fishdo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:53 pm

What's the abbreviation for doesn't read anything..??

DR:FA??
Fishdo

Postby Diogenes on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Ozza wrote:I've never understood the point of "net" spend.

surely wages is a better indicator?

Net spend is very important Ozza.
If your Net spend is high it means you have had to put in more investment through spending or raising cash or borrowing more. If you look at Spurs the Net spend is very low therefore over the past 5 years they have hardly invested any new Capital just ‘reinvested’ from sales (ie Bale). Even so, Spurs best players have hardly cost them anything whereas they have also, like us, bought a lot of expensive ‘disappointments’. Funny old game isn’t it?
Diogenes

Postby robdf2 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Net spend surely only makes sense when you have assets to sell?

We have have / had 3 one went (payet) the remaining ones are lanzini and Antonio and perhaps some fringe players.
Most of our other squad players are getting on a bit , no resale value in our latest additions.
robdf2

Postby Humbug on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 pm

I truly don't understand Slav with regards Adrian or Randolph. Is it that complex to drop a player who has lost form with another possible contender? Isn't that what a manager does? They look at the whole squad in training and choose those that are performing generally better than the others vying for the same position. If you don't choose the ones that are deserving of that chance, you demoralise them and skew the whole basis of squad competition for first team choice. If Slav is managing his squad fairly , then all I can assume is that Adrian is faring poorly against Randolph in training sessions.
Humbug

Postby Robbie on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 pm

I actually find it all very laughable.
Brilliant season last one. New stadium and yes, two ***** transfer windows this. We are safe. No harm done.
Lets just learn and rebuild a bit.
I never believed this 'next level' bowlacks, and who would if you have been a West Ham fan for long enough.
This season is gone...finished, and lets move onto the next. With a manager who can and has cut it in the Premier League.
Who else would we get..? I'll tell you one thing. They won't be supported anymore than Slav has been.
He deserves another season because one thing we need is consistency right now.

Just buy Begovic and we will be laughung again.
In Slav I trust. :crest:
Robbie

Postby Diogenes on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 pm

robdf2 wrote:Net spend surely only makes sense when you have assets to sell?

We have have / had 3 one went (payet) the remaining ones are lanzini and Antonio and perhaps some fringe players.
Most of our other squad players are getting on a bit , no resale value in our latest additions.

??? net spend is actual, fact, what has happened. That we didn't have a Gareth Bale to sell is true but it does not change the fact that that over the past 5 years we have invested more additional cash than Spurs..
Diogenes

Postby since86 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Robbie wrote:I actually find it all very laughable.
Brilliant season last one. New stadium and yes, two ***** transfer windows this. We are safe. No harm done.
Lets just learn and rebuild a bit.
I never believed this 'next level' bowlacks, and who would if you have been a West Ham fan for long enough.
This season is gone...finished, and lets move onto the next. With a manager who can and has cut it in the Premier League.
Who else would we get..? I'll tell you one thing. They won't be supported anymore than Slav has been.
He deserves another season because one thing we need is consistency right now.

Just buy Begovic and we will be laughung again.
In Slav I trust. :crest:

Absolutely agree with everything you say their Robbie, apart from one thing: I do believe in this club going "to the next level" as we've seen so many clubs in so many leagues do it and if Leicester's season last year, and to some extent this year too, shows us is that clubs can achieve above their traditional level if they have the right foundations in place. Of course it's a massive overhaul to put the right things in place at WHUFC but it's not impossible and we shouldn't be satisfied with nearly and not quite any more.
Slav is the right man for next season as for many he's one of the few good things about the club and personally I think he's done a decent job under exceptionally difficult circumstances. File this season under experience, learn from it, and move on.
since86

Postby stammer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 pm

thejackhammer wrote:Too long; didn't read.

709 pages of pendulum lower leg who would judge you on that?
stammer

Postby Marky on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 am

These 3 home games will finish him. At the moment its 50-50 then I believe the following will happen;lose by 2 to Everton, 2 to Liverpool and a thrashing by Tottenham by 3+.

I actually think we will beat Burnley but too little to late.

He's toast and after these next 5 games deservedly so. If he gets 6 or 7 points then he will remain but its the home games that will be the biggies.
Marky

Postby szola on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 am

Is Bilic wanting Terry his Diouf moment?
szola

Postby thejackhammer on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:58 am

Marky wrote:These 3 home games will finish him. At the moment its 50-50 then I believe the following will happen;lose by 2 to Everton, 2 to Liverpool and a thrashing by Tottenham by 3+.

I actually think we will beat Burnley but too little to late.

He's toast and after these next 5 games deservedly so. If he gets 6 or 7 points then he will remain but its the home games that will be the biggies.

Tottenham aren't great away, all their thrashings come at home. I'm no saying we'll win, but all these 'thrashing by Tottenham' predictions will likely go the same way as the same predictions as the Chelsea game and we'll lose 2-1 or something similar
thejackhammer

Postby Caltagir on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:01 am

Seriously? Not get thrashed?
You HAVE seen us this season?
You are aware of how awful we've been lately?

Optimism can only go so far - as can pessimism. But realism dictates that we'll be lucky not to be hit with a cricket score the way we've been set up lately.
I'd love to be the ones to put a nail in their campaign to catch Chelsea but no matter how claret tinted my specs get, this isn't happening this season.
It's done with. As, unless he figures out his shortcomings quickly, is Slav.
Caltagir

Postby GALF on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:09 am

My mind is split on this topic.

On one hand I want to keep him. I don't want to be the next club to sack a manager, showing a lack of loyalty. The number of managers we've had since being established is comparatively very little and I'd like it to stay that way. In some ways Bilic is great, some of the press conferences (not lately) he has shown passion and an understanding of the club and fans. He's had the move and the Payet saga to deal with, which I believe we're both immeasurably disruptive. The owners haven't been ideal in the way they've gone about things under his tenure, which again has seen Bilic's support rise and the fact is that last season was great at times.

On the other hand, I really do not think he's that great a manager. He brought a fresh approach after BFS that was welcomed, but (in my opinion) that was very much down to us pulling off probably one of the best signings in world football in the last decade or so. We had one of the best players in the world who really did carry us at times. Without him what would have happened? We may have still performed as well, but I doubt it. Then we have the stubbornness, which is becoming ridiculous. We have the comments from Oxford, Stam, Valencia etc about training and fitness levels which again is not acceptable. I'm inclined to believe these comments based on what I see each week, too.

I see people saying "back Bilic and give him a budget to work with". In my opinion this would end in tears too. His track record (if rumours are to be believed) is terrible. Why should he be trusted over anybody else with the clubs funds?

I think I'm at a position whereby if the board back him I'll have no complaints, however if he gets the tin tack I think I'd understand the decision. It's then the question as to whether I'd trust those in charge to choose the correct replacement? Hmm don't know about that one. (That's probably another pro Bilic point in itself).
GALF

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:33 am

Spurs have only been beaten 3 times this season all away however they have thrashed a few teams on their travels

Their the best team this season I think we will be lucky to keep it under 3
mumbles87

Postby Jumby on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:09 pm

We've been outplayed and/or thrashed by about half the sides that have visited the Olympic Stadium this season, we've conceded over 30 goals along the way, and we still have Everton, Liverpool and Spurs to come, all sides more than capable of scoring goals.
Jumby

Postby thejackhammer on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Jumby wrote:We've been outplayed and/or thrashed by about half the sides that have visited the Olympic Stadium this season, we've conceded over 30 goals along the way, and we still have Everton, Liverpool and Spurs to come, all sides more than capable of scoring goals.

All of whom have patchy away records.

Again, i don't think we'll win, but this 'we're the worse team in the league, we get thrashed by everyone, we're so terrible' is embarrassing. Everton have only beaten Palace and Leicester away this year.
thejackhammer

Postby Iron-worx on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:58 pm

thejackhammer wrote: Everton have only beaten Palace and Leicester away this year.

I wish you hadn't mentioned that...

Should we lose later it will make it all the worse :(
Iron-worx

Postby thejackhammer on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Our injuries are too bad, we'll lose. But the owners should have given Bilic the funds to bring in a striker and a rightback, reap what they sow.
thejackhammer

Postby ched on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Difference to last season at this point is 13 points. Moving stadium has costed us at least 10. Its very simple explanation. Other problems appear once you start loosing games but the core issue is the move and lack of atmosphere.

Great 1st half against everton. I want to see this lineup from now on.
ched

Postby thejackhammer on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Lookman and Barry on.

Linesman is now the 4th official. Weird.
thejackhammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion