And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby uptonparkhurst on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Please do not call GS&B the Three Stooges -
that is a gross insult to a talented comedy trio with a lot of fans, whereas GS&B are <provide your own insults/expletives>
uptonparkhurst

Location: An Alternate Reality of Evil Spells and worse spelling

Postby claretchris on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm

Perhaps the Inzaghi link is a s simple as the fact that he's managed to get a team to perform in a bowl of a former Olympic stadium...
claretchris

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:07 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Isn't this essentially the point at the level we are at, one season has almost no relevance to another. Last season based on this argument you would have sacked Pulis (I wouldn't have blamed you lol) yet this season he has got them performing again...

I do go on to say on my post that I want Bilic to be the man to sort it all out FWIW. I don't mean to defend the transfer policy as if it's all Bilic's fault that it hasn't worked this year, it's not.

We have signed some poor players - there is no question, we should be savvy as to who is "ready for the prem" etc, not just sign players from other leagues that have done well. But I just think we should have done better this year on the whole.

Yes last year Payet was in the form of his life, so that's understandable, but we are also poor in an organisational sense - especially at the back. We let teams open us up so easily, week in week out and then it's up to Randy to save the day. We know how this story ends.

I get it if this happens for a little while, no team is perfect, but I just want to see us address our problems for once. It's not always personnel based and it certainly doesn't take a whole season to cut out defensive errors. What are they doing in training if it does?!
Jeffcoate321

Postby iLoveLasagne on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Wouldn't mind Dyche. I think it is unfair to say that he is simply Big Sam/Mourinho mk2. He may be but it is unfair to label him with that tag after only a fairly short period. In the season they got promoted they managed to score 3 goals in a game 9 times. He hasn't needed to splurge in the transfer market to do well either. His only substantial purchases were Defour and Gray who most would say were decent acquisitions, certainly when you consider their fees.

But he is a manager who is afforded control at Burnley without pressure or interference I feel or who at the very least is in sync with the longer term strategy of their board. He would not get the same conditions to work with were he to join West Ham. Howe is similar just with more bells and whistles so looks more attractive but to me Dyche is the more solid manager capable of steady progression. But ultimately, no manager would thrive under the current environment. An actual Director of Football may change that. But can we even trust them to appoint one and not interfere with their job too?
iLoveLasagne

Postby hammerheadjim on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 pm

I think the board will stick for another season with a similar type of statement issued as they did with BFS before his final year...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... nager.html
hammerheadjim

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:Please do not call GS&B the Three Stooges -
that is a gross insult to a talented comedy trio with a lot of fans, whereas GS&B are a bunch of Lawro's
somerset-hammer

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 pm

claretchris wrote:Perhaps the Inzaghi link is a s simple as the fact that he's managed to get a team to perform in a bowl of a former Olympic stadium...

There's only one thing our owners could perform in a bowl and it stinks.
ageing hammer

Postby MD_HM on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Burnley are one of the worse teams I've seen us play this season, in terms of trying to play football the right way... West Brom at home from memory was another shocking display footballing wise

I wouldn't want another big Sam getting us 8th-12th each year but playing crap football

Bilic had one fantastic season where we nearly made the CL, had we only brought in a decent striker that January then we might of done it. We were also unlucky with injuries and referee decisions.

This season has been a stinker, no hiding from that... we had our worse transfer windows in years not really adding to the starting XI just filling out he squad with average/poor players. Then the rightback we did end up signing last minute fell out with Bilic and then it appears another off the field issue has meant Randolph has nearly single handedly relegated us.

I'd like to see Bilic giving a proper transfer budget and quality players in the right positions that are needed

I want him to succeed

However my only real concern is the apparent off the field issues which without inside info, we don't know if Bilic is to blame.

Randolph should have been dropped a couple of months ago, he was poor anyway then made a mistake or two and Adrian should have come back.... now it's actually a joke, the bloke is poor anyway yet appears to be getting worse.

IF the decision is really down to Bilic then as much as I love him, it's not good enough

But don't want another boring big Sam or the latest manager to win a few games at a poor club

Problem we have is a decent manager or name will want a big budget which probably means we will end up with crap as just as usual
MD_HM

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Jeffcoate321 wrote:I get it if this happens for a little while, no team is perfect, but I just want to see us address our problems for once. It's not always personnel based and it certainly doesn't take a whole season to cut out defensive errors. What are they doing in training if it does?!

I have wondered this as long as I have supported us. Until Ginge arrived (1st time round) we had been unable to head a cross for what felt like forever. Managers came and went and we were still susceptible. Plug in a defender that can head and hey presto.

Players do different things well, at the level we buy they all have big holes in their game (especially as subs and squads have increased in size). So we can choose a CB that heads crosses or one that is good on the ball. Solve one problem but create another.

Where Bilic has got lost for me is what the game plan was once his idea for the season went pear shaped. Last year we had a plan, it was basic and simple but it worked. Plug in a great player and it worked brilliantly. Last summer I have no doubt Bilics plan was more of the same, add a few more flair players and a more mobile option up front. It was clear almost from day 1 that the new players didn't much fancy the physical side of the PL and that left us with a problem add in Payet and it became a huge problem. Its one Bilic hasn't really found an answer to. We had essentially 2 sets of attacking players, the one built to play the way the manager wants to play and the more physical players bilic seems less keen on using. When the preferred line up decided it didn't fancy it Bilic put the others in and tried to get them playing the same way.

This would be my big criticism of him (and my biggest worry going forward), his persistence with square pegs in round holes. It hints at an inability to find another way. The 3 at the back spell I hoped was a sign he could be more flexible but that didn't last long due to injuries.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby MilHammer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I'd give Slav another year. The man inherited the move from Upton, had to deal with the Payet debacle, and all the other pressure after having a very lucky, above average year.

It's hard to say whether he is to blame for the transfers, and but it does seem that we lack discipline and fitness this year in a big way. Still, I think he deserves a chance to spend in the transfer window and to figure it out next year. We just came off one of the best seasons we've had and this year, despite being a disappointment, is not totally out of the norm for us. If he can't get it together by Christmas, then I would be okay with sacking.
MilHammer

Postby Diogenes on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 pm

MilHammer wrote:I'd give Slav another year. The man inherited the move from Upton, had to deal with the Payet debacle, and all the other pressure after having a very lucky, above average year.

It's hard to say whether he is to blame for the transfers, and but it does seem that we lack discipline and fitness this year in a big way. Still, I think he deserves a chance to spend in the transfer window and to figure it out next year. We just came off one of the best seasons we've had and this year, despite being a disappointment, is not totally out of the norm for us. If he can't get it together by Christmas, then I would be okay with sacking.

The trouble is it probably wouldn't last until Christmas if our performances this year were replicated next. Unfortunately, only a very good start next year would placate the board and supporters. Anything less would create immediate unrest and probably his sacking by October. We then have to find a Manager who hasn't got a job and is good (hardly likely that early in the season). If found he will be dealing with a squad that a) isn't his and b) probably not conducive to his style of play. That means we would have wasted another summer market and doomed to another season of despondency. Of course this is all a lot of 'ifs' but it does point out that if it doesn't work out you cannot go back to the beginning and start again.

The worst decision of all is to look and act short term. Personally, that is why I say, if the right main is available get him in May and give him 3-5 year Contract, performance related. Alternatively, give Bilic a 3-5 year contract. As I say, as a businessman, personally I would go for the former, but could live with the latter.
Diogenes

Postby MilHammer on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Diogenes wrote:The trouble is it probably wouldn't last until Christmas if our performances this year were replicated next. Unfortunately, only a very good start next year would placate the board and supporters. Anything less would create immediate unrest and probably his sacking by October. We then have to find a Manager who hasn't got a job and is good (hardly likely that early in the season). If found he will be dealing with a squad that a) isn't his and b) probably not conducive to his style of play. That means we would have wasted another summer market and doomed to another season of despondency. Of course this is all a lot of 'ifs' but it does point out that if it doesn't work out you cannot go back to the beginning and start again.

The worst decision of all is to look and act short term. Personally, that is why I say, if the right main is available get him in May and give him 3-5 year Contract, performance related. Alternatively, give Bilic a 3-5 year contract. As I say, as a businessman, personally I would go for the former, but could live with the latter.

I do get what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree. In American sports, the bad teams undergo years of rebuilding, moving established players and big assets for younger players and cap space in order to compete for the future. Obviously football is a different animal entirely, but I agree with your sentiment that it is best to get the "rebuild" if you will underway, as soon as possible.

That being said, if we did end up in the market for a new coach, I could see us getting someone like BFS. The thing I appreciate about Slaven is that for once we were playing exciting, creative football. If the next Poch was out there, then yeah go for it. But I'd rather gamble on Slav rebounding and let him make his adjustments, than having boring /guaranteed mid-table football.
MilHammer

Postby Puff Daddy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:19 pm

The point is, in keeping with him, we keep all the other things too. Like, the fall outs with players, the poor physical fitness and conditioning of the players, the rotten injury pile ups and the incohensive play on the pitch. I cannot see any of that improving while he is at the helm
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Roby on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:50 pm

The results have been very poor this season but there are three factors in Slavs favour...

1 He has one more year under contract and we all know they don't like paying managers off.
2 It's cheaper to keep him and let him tweak the squad rather than get a new boss who would want to completely dismantle it and get in all their own players.
3 The majority of fans are still behind him and them sacking him would be another PR own goal they can't risk.

I think that unless he resigns he'll be with us next season.
Roby

Postby Jumby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 am

I don't see us getting more than points maximum from our remaining five games, I think that might cost Bilic his job.
Jumby

Postby Colours never run on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 am

Jesus Christ, what he did last season was not very lucky, it was well deserved.

Bit fed up with reading how everything that's not going well right now is his fault (which I do agree with), yet last season revisionists would have you believe that what he achieved was down to luck. If anything, he was unlucky on a few different factors like the Officiating and injuries.

So by all means, **** him off when he does get it wrong, but at least give credit when it's due and actually mean it should you believe he deserved the credit. We can't go editing bits to suit our own agenda, just as I wouldn't make out a few of the dodgy decisions he's made this season (and last) weren't anything to do with him.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby e17 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

[/quote]
Colours never run wrote:Bit fed up with reading how everything that's not going well right now is his fault (which I do agree with), yet last season revisionists would have you believe that what he achieved was down to luck. If anything, he was unlucky on a few different factors like the Officiating and injuries.

The people claiming he was lucky last season seem to miss out the bit where we could have been in a cup final with a bit more luck, & the part of the season where we still managed to eek out results without Payet etc
e17

Postby Major on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 am

Its refreshing to know that even if you don't visit this site for months, the same people (Puff et al) are still trying to out the latest manager.

Hahahaha

brilliant.

I haven't had a glance at the transfer thread yet, but i will bet the same culprits are all over that playing football manager, with the millions of pounds they haven't got!
Major
%&!$

Postby 1860OnceMoore on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:45 am

People also have to remember Slav is going to be out of action for a few weeks of the summer due to his operation, so really can't see how he is going to play catch up in the remaining time and turn his obvious deficiencies around!
1860OnceMoore

Postby Absolutely Hammered! on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:49 am

I personally think the move to the OS and the impact it has had on everyone involved at West Ham is very much being overlooked. I think mid table would have been a good achievement this season while survival is acceptable IMO.

We all saw what Slav can do when he came to a settled West Ham United by achieving great results with quality football. Last season Slav made West Ham a great place to be. This season he's had to manage us with one hand tied behind his back while having to play 38 away games.

Even with a World class manager in place, with everything that has gone against us this season (best player wanting out, iffy board on Slavs back, very unhappy fans due to move, signing of Snodgrass, makeshift strikers, makeshift RB's, signing Snodgrass, every one of our players being injured at some point, signing Snodgrass the list goes on.... ) a top world class manager would have struggled.

If Slav isn't allowed at least one more season with us then it will be a sad day for our club as he still has much to offer us. He’s only managed in the PL for 2 seasons so mistakes will be made along the way. We just need things to settle down on and off the pitch and with a few key signings we should be back to winning ways next season.
Absolutely Hammered!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion