And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 pm

As I said. You go to the Away games so opinion is more valid than mine even if I do disagree

My point was we have played equally well at home (at times as away) and equally badly. Over the last couple of months we have been pretty gash all round - home and away IMHO

The stadium has had an effect no doubt. But I woukd put it down the hierarchy compared to other factors.
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Colours never run wrote:

He's got the nous, he proved it last season during games he has it in him to get us playing solid. He's just lost his way trying to figure out who the better keeper, defender is this season which has confused the issue. It's not like we've never played well as a compact, solid unit playing with exciting counter attacking football. That's what we need to get back too that worked Oslo well for us before. That's why I liked it when w played with 3 at the back because we were starting to look more solid and compact again breaking with energy away at palace for a while.

We do need to get back to that, but it's not happening is it? We're going to get dragged back into a relegation scrap if we aren't careful.

I'd be very disappointed if he got pumped but if this carries on much longer I really think he might go. This is the reality of modern football whether you like or not. Ask Ranieri!
Cockneyboy311

Postby simon1982 on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Georgee Paris wrote:I think slavan is a good fit for us. He's basically on a par with what we are.

Miserable? I don't want him sacked but a lot of people are missing the point. We can't defend and haven't been able to do so for over a year. That has nothing to do with the board, they don't take training and I'm pretty sure they're not the final voices the players hear before walking out onto the pitch. All the fans are asking for is a bit of discipline, organization and intensity.
simon1982

Postby Devs Hampton on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:56 pm

At the risk of repeating myself, which I am clearly going to do for the umpteenth time, I really believe that if Slav wants to keep his job and become our long term manager, he has to have a major upgrade on his coaching staff. Whether our tight fisted, short sighted board provide the budget for that is another argument!
Devs Hampton

Postby Doc H Ball on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:As I said. You go to the Away games so opinion is more valid than mine even if I do disagree

My point was we have played equally well at home (at times as away) and equally badly. Over the last couple of months we have been pretty gash all round - home and away IMHO

The stadium has had an effect no doubt. But I woukd put it down the hierarchy compared to other factors.

Your opinion is as valid as anyone's mate.

We have been poor in defence and in scoring, but we make a lot of chances. We're often in the game away from home whereas a few years ago if we conceded it was game over. Going away is a lot more fun than it was because I always think we might get something.

It has been at home where we have come unstuck - smashed by every top team who clearly enjoy the space and lack of intimidation.

I heard Slav and Noble talk about this and they both said the stadium and bad atmosphere had affected them. I reckon it's been understated if anything.

I'm not disputing that there's a lot Slav is getting wrong, but he's getting a lot right as well. He takes risks and thank **** for that.
Doc H Ball

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Did I imagine it. or did I read somewhere that Adrian wouldn't commit to a new contract and that's why he's not playing?

Never heard or read that.

Two times Runner Up 'Hammer of the Year' In 2014 & 2015 suddenly turns into a 'sack of sh*t' overnight. How he can be kept out of the side over Randolph beggars belief.

I think he's been treated shockingly & is out of contract in the summer. He'll be off. Bit of a lunatic, but characters like that make a side. I think it will be a massive loss to the side/team. People like Collins, Noble, Antonio & Adrian would be automatic starters for me. Might have a few dodge games but their 100% effort counters that.

16 goals conceded in 7 games & still left out. :eh: That's when 'favourites' discussion gets brought up.

He'll be a top keeper for someone else. Shame.
Cardiff here we come.....

Postby Fishdo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:14 pm

@ Upton o good... I agree with a lot of what you said mate but like I said a few pages back I don't think it's 'softness' with Slav ... I think it's his Loyalty that is his weakness and can make him look soft...

@ TTS ... you mention the costs of our players etc but one other comparison worth thinking about with what you said is the level of wages paid for a squad per season... in our case we have the 7th highest wage bill for a squad in the PL....
Fishdo

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Byram has been injured and hasn't found his feet, Cresswell hasn't been the same player since his injury at the beginning of the season, Oggy was playing with an injury, Fonte hasn't bedded in yet, Mousaka has been injured, Collins is 104, and now it looks like Reid might be out for a while.

Slav can't organise a defence, apparently.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Monkeybubbles on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:08 pm

Sorry, double post
Monkeybubbles

Postby Roby on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:33 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:It has been at home where we have come unstuck - smashed by every top team who clearly enjoy the space and lack of intimidation.

I heard Slav and Noble talk about this and they both said the stadium and bad atmosphere had affected them. I reckon it's been understated if anything.

The sad fact is that this is impossible to change and will blight us for the duration of our tenure at this ground.

Bilic is obviously the first boss to have to endure it but you can guarantee it will still be a factor three or four managers down the line.

It's probably going to cost us six points at least a season.
Roby

Postby HornchruchHammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:13 am

Id love someone to pull up a stat of how many goals where concedes due to player errors. It must be really high cause ive been to 4 away game and every home game and i can remember a lot where down to that.

No having a right back is key but i think denfensivly everyone has been awful. Take watford at home for example, indivisual errors galour! Cant blame bilic for at least 30% of goals conceded imo.
HornchruchHammer

Postby D C on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am

I've been thinking for a few months that he's too nice to ever be a top manager and that fhe longer he's at a club the more players will walk over him. Hope he pulls it around though as the alternatives arent great and we have owners that have previously picked Big Sam, Avram Grant, Alex McLeish and Steve Bruce.
D C

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 am

HornchruchHammer wrote:Id love someone to pull up a stat of how many goals where concedes due to player errors. It must be really high cause ive been to 4 away game and every home game and i can remember a lot where down to that.

No having a right back is key but i think denfensivly everyone has been awful. Take watford at home for example, indivisual errors galour! Cant blame bilic for at least 30% of goals conceded imo.

Never a truer word. Much was said about Cresswell's part in Leicester's opener last Saturday as he criminally stood off Mahrez allowing him to get his shot/cross away, but I dont think even a murmour has been uttered at Kouyate's part in that goal moments before, at his pussy challenge on Drinkwater, I think it was, before he sprayed his pass out to Mahrez on the right
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 am

brooking_1980 wrote: "Slav knows its not good enough" etc etc so it seems to me they're setting it up nicely for us not to be shocked when they pull the trigger.l.

This is exactly what they're doing. It's a textbook, snidey prepare-the-punters PR exercise.
DaveWHU1964

Postby Harry Hound on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 am

Puff Daddy wrote:HornchruchHammer"Id love someone to pull up a stat of how many goals where concedes due to player errors. It must be really high cause ive been to 4 away game and every home game and i can remember a lot where down to that.

Never a truer word. Much was said about Cresswell's part in Leicester's opener last Saturday as he criminally stood off Mahrez allowing him to get his shot/cross away, but I dont think even a murmour has been uttered at Kouyate's part in that goal moments before, at his pussy challenge on Drinkwater, I think it was, before he sprayed his pass out to Mahrez on the right

And no mention of Obiang losing the ball in midfield as he seemed to be half asleep!
Harry Hound

Location: "just a came from nowhere and going straight back there!"

Postby Nesticles on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am

Last season was obviously brilliant, one I've enjoyed the most in my lifetime as a West Ham fan

We've hardly done much to captitalise on that though. We've lost our edge in home games this season for obvious reasons, and a lot of our key players are below the high standards they hit last year

Overall, we have a squad with players I quite like and a manager I bloody love. Despite the fact I feel the heart of this club is being ripped out, those things give me hope.

We aren't progressing anywhere fast with the current heirarchy. One good season, now the usual back to lingering between mid-table and relegation places. Pretty much the cycle I have been used to seeing West Ham go through, with the odd relegation thrown in.

Slav really needs to improve, but I would like to see him given the time to do so here. Hope he gets a new contract and time to turn things around. Would be gutted to see him go. Keep Slav please :thup:
Nesticles

Postby fmgod on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 am

Last season was good thought as we winning games 3-2 unlike the previous two, that is the difference to me, last year we let in a lot but also managed to score just as many. So games were very exciting but we was picking up the three points more.
fmgod

Postby The Sherriff on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am

Reckon we’re just above par at the moment for the squad we have.

Billic makes a ricket just like any human, has also a good track record in making subs that impact games.

Don’t know what people expect, we have some very average players in our ranks. Last season we over achieved and still finished 7th.

Throw into the mix the destabilising stadium move and a ground that plays into the away teams hands.

We’ve just over paid for a defender that’s going to be retiring soon, we’ve signed a championship winger who was having the best season of his career to replace a world class player in Payet. We’ve spunked a good 40ml on pelt with the only winners being the agents.

Not one player purchased in the past 8 months improves the first 11.

In the background, you have your boss publically undermining the playing staff and trying to make himself look favourable to the fans. It’s very unsavoury, unprofessional and smacks of being a ****.

Bilic isn’t without his faults but **** me is so much better than what we’ve had for a long time and what is being touted about.

The problems are above him.
The Sherriff

Postby jacko on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 am

I don't think we're underachiving either. We sold our best player and replaced him with someone not half as good. What do you expect?

To say this squad is really good is a total myth. We have no established right back. Two average keepers, an error prone left back. A strange midfield that doesn't quite gel together and an injury prone front line.

It's like groundhog day with carroll >>gets injured>>plays average for first few games after recovering>>>Hits top form and looks unplayable for 3-4 games>>>Gets injured again>>>>and repeat.

Anyone who thinks that if we simply change managers again and all our problems will be solved is a fool.

If I have any criticism of Slav it is his failure to address the right back situation and the signings of

Arthur
Feghouli
Nortveidt
Tore

have all looked poor. I think Snodgrass will be alright.
jacko

Postby nickkarkie on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:Byram has been injured and hasn't found his feet, Cresswell hasn't been the same player since his injury at the beginning of the season, Oggy was playing with an injury, Fonte hasn't bedded in yet, Mousaka has been injured, Collins is 104, and now it looks like Reid might be out for a while.

Slav can't organise a defence, apparently.

He's came from Greece but he's certainly no Moussaka. :)
nickkarkie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion