And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby steveyrockstar on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I posted this in the SuUmmer transfer thread but i think it has relevance here

West Brom have some good players for sure (and have certainly improved their squad), but let's be honest, they are where they are in the table because of the manager

Pulis may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i can assure you that every single one of those players goes onto the pitch fully motivated, extremely fit, exceptionally well-drilled and knows exactly what job they are supposed to do as individuals and as a team in many situations

And yet we the majority on here wanted BFS out for possessing much of those qualities and not playing entertaining football.

Likewise, Stoke fans wanted Pullis out because they'd become bored under his helm.

It's just an endless circus
steveyrockstar

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Pulis may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i can assure you that every single one of those players goes onto the pitch fully motivated, extremely fit, exceptionally well-drilled and knows exactly what job they are supposed to do as individuals and as a team in many situations

Pulis probably gives them all personalised ring-binders of the most effective ways to cheat before each match.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Pulis does a job, don't get me wrong. And he may even lead West Brom to their highest points finish and league position. But I don't believe a lot of West Brom fans, just like us, enjoy watching his teams. They couldn't even fill the stadium in a 3-1 win over Arsenal.

Pulis is great in a results driven business but I watch football to be entertained, winning is just a bonus, as is where we finish in the league. I am sure West Brom fans if given the option, would pick to finish 15th if they were entertained a bit more.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I agree
I wouldn't want Pulis at West Ham

I was merely making the point that West Brom (from a league position perspective) are benefiting from having Pulis as a manager, rather than incredible individual performances from their players
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Hamburger on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I just don't get Bilic's team selections, transfers and tactics. He has a prime opportunity now with all the injury gaps to play people in their right positions. Without Obiang, Nordveit could be the revelation he was before he joined, given the chance. Kayoute can revel in the middle where he was so prolific last year. Byram getting his confidence up with more starts. Ayew bossing behind the front without Antonio. Bring back Oxford. All is not doom and gloom, there could be some positives but not by Bilic's design. He is clueless about team selection, tactics and buys players for positions we already have plenty for in my opinion. I am dreading what the line up might be in 2 weeks. Probably Lanzini in goal and Byram cenrte forward.
Hamburger

Postby Korea Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:03 pm

I think he's done alright considering the loss of our stadium and our best player, and it will be interesting to see what happens next season. We are rubbish at the back though, and I think that's been the main issue for most of his reign.
Korea Hammer

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Manager on Monday

Manager says goals conceded to Bournemouth and Leicester are down to individual errors rather than his team being too open

The intensity in training is really good. You can’t call us a team who is not fit, because in almost every game we finish better than the opponent.

I’m not happy that we have to go behind to do it, but the training is really, really good and the intensity is high.

Sounds like the criticism is getting to him
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Jumby on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm

We're not organised, it's that simple.
Jumby

Postby Billi Bollox on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Sorry, i know ill get shot down, but i am thinking its time for a change of manager.

I get the impression the players are no longer motivated by slav...which is dangerous
Billi Bollox

Postby irving boleyn on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:28 pm

It does seem that the tactics are still "get it wide and cross for Carroll" regardless of personnel.

And all defences are prepared for it and generally cope

That goal Ayew set up for Lanzini recently,running into the box drawing a man and passing, was very much the exception.
irving boleyn

Postby New Jersey on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm

It wasn't all crossing the ball for Carroll against Leicester. What was Antonio's run and through ball to Ayew who really should have scored? How many times did Byram get to the by-line and cut the ball back? Besides, it was only a very good save that kept out Carroll's back post header. We peppered their goal and it was crazy how we didn't win or at least get a point.

Everyone's calling it a poor season, but maybe our expectations are too high? Last season we unearthed Payet, along with Antonio and Lanzini got well involved, we finished 7th, and flirted with the top four. That season saw 5,000-1 Leicester win the title with Chelsea and Man Utd having very off seasons. This season the top boys spent money (Mourinho got Zlat in and how much was Pogba again?), Conte got Chelsea playing to their strengths, Everton swapped Martinez for Koeman and they have a top striker in Lukaku. (I wonder where we would be this season if we had Lukaku?) Spurs are a very strong team but that took years to build, Klopp has improved Liverpool, Man City will always be contenders as they can buy whoever they want (talking about Messi). Only Arsenal have slightly slipped and I wouldn't be surprised if they recover and finish in the top four like they have for 16 straight seasons.

So, where did you think we would finish this season? Or next season for that matter? Unless we get new richer than rich owners, we are a solid mid-table team. Which bearing in mind it was only a few years back we had Uncle Avram take us down, then Big Sam made us a bit more solid, which fans didn't like, but it was necessary. Now we bring in Slav with his charisma and he understands the West Ham way. We are more entertaining, which does mean some slack play at times, some decent wins, some disappointing performances, but I'm happy for where we are, I'm happy with what I'm seeing, I'm happy with Slav and I grew up through the John Lyall years, and he sure had some up and down seasons, but we stuck with him, that's what West Ham does.

I don't go to the games being in New Jersey ( I will be there for the Swansea game, and I can't wait to experience the London Stadium and get my old brick) but I watch every game as if I am there. The Payet stuff messed us up, but I think there's been plenty of excitement, some decent football, I wish I had been there for the Palace game, Big Andy's volley has to be goal of the season, and Lanzini's chip was fantastic. Tell me you didn't go home buzzing after that game?

All in all, I think we should remember who we are. Let's continue to build (build the team around Lanzini who is as good as Coutinho) slowly and establish ourselves as a solid 7th-12th team. We aren't ready to break into the top 6 yet. Maybe we never will, but let's not kid ourselves and start calling for a new manager. Let's see what the summer brings and how next season pans out. The only thing I want from this season is to continue to be entertained, get to 40 points as soon as possible, blood some youngsters and beat Spurs and Liverpool at home, which could well happen. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think we'll win at Hull. Keep the faith boys, we really aren't as bad as some of you make out.
New Jersey

Postby steveyrockstar on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Billi Bollox wrote:Sorry, i know ill get shot down, but i am thinking its time for a change of manager.

I get the impression the players are no longer motivated by slav...which is dangerous

going back just last month, the players looked perfectly motivated against southampton, watford, west brom and chelsea. Against bournmouth, we lost because we were poor.

Irrespective, I look at Bilic's entire tenure for us, including last season, and in the grand scheme I think he's done/doing a good job and based on last season alone, definitely deserves next season to right this year's wobbles.
steveyrockstar

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Apart from Payet & Lanzini who are just individually 'Geniuses' & would be fantastic for Stepney Allotment X1 the current trend is this:

1/Make note of transfer target. In form & playing well.
2/Joins WHU turns from excellent/good player into someone who finds it difficult to kick & football to a team mate.
3/Leaves, plays well & score superb goals

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=3H2J-5H-L3s

Couldn't hit a barn door when he was with us.

Our players are NOT being coached properly that's why so many are injured, off form & clueless.

No surprise if after his loan, Valencia stump up the £15m. The coaching staff are destroying every single bit of belief they have. They are utterly lost. Enner Valencia, Cresswell, Adrian, Sakho if they all left this summer, wouldn't be surprised they all, like a miracle 'return to form'.

Even the most Bilic & Dicks supporters out there, you don't find it strange that the majority of signings & current squad are all 'Off form'. You maybe get 1 or 2 players but 18+ players playing poorly. It's worrying & surprised not many others are questioning WHY?
Cardiff here we come.....

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 pm

Cardiff here we come..... wrote: You maybe get 1 or 2 players but 18+ players playing poorly. It's worrying & surprised not many others are questioning WHY?

Perhaps they don't have an agenda to peddle , a constant stream of negativity attacking our Manager unlike yourself .

We're 12th, by definition our players are collectively playing better than the players of 8 other clubs .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
Perhaps they don't have an agenda to peddle , a constant stream of negativity attacking our Manager unlike yourself .

We're 12th, by definition our players are collectively playing better than the players of 8 other clubs .

Promise you PP no agenda.

My opinion is our squad, as a bunch of individuals are a higher quality than Sunderland, Hull, Middlesbro etc...that's why we are higher in the league.

But, as a 'collective' team, working hard as a unit, I sadly think we are bottom 3. Antonio's goals/performances & Lanzini performances have really pull us out of the mire, so far this season.

PP, that's how I see it. I know many will disagree with me but this is NOT about Bilic & Dicks as people, I'm just judging on the end product we're all seeing for the majority of games this season.

I have worries/concerns about our club, not any single individual.

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm not 100% either way. Not convinced by some of his decisions, or by the way we've gradually looked more and more defensively frail the longer he's been in charge. It's hard to tell what goes on behind the scenes though. I personally don't think we could do any better than him with g&s in charge. I'm happy to see if he can turn the team around and have us playing with a bit more intensity and fight.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby the pink palermo on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Promise you PP no agenda.
Do me a favour , at least be honest .

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:My opinion is our squad, as a bunch of individuals are a higher quality than Sunderland, Hull, Middlesbro etc...that's why we are higher in the league.
How does it compare with Everton, Southampton and West Brom's ?
Cardiff here we come..... wrote:But, as a 'collective' team, working hard as a unit, I sadly think we are bottom 3.
That's your opinion to which you are entitled but the table says otherwise does it not ?
Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Antonio's goals/performances & Lanzini performances have really pull us out of the mire, so far this season.
You think so ? Lanzini has been good in recent weeks but early season ?
Cardiff here we come..... wrote:this is NOT about Bilic & Dicks as people, I'm just judging on the end product we're all seeing for the majority of games this season.
But you're not , quite simply because you are ignoring the league table .

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:I have worries/concerns about our club, not any single individual.
I cry bull**** .

You're grinding an axe , we all know why , we got the message months ago .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Cardiff here we come..... on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:36 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
You're grinding an axe , we all know why , we got the message months ago .

Why? Why, would I 'grind a axe' over two Ex-West Ham players trying their best for the club? You linking it to Allardyce? I'm not too sure I know what your saying.

Ok, if we were say 8th, around Everton & West Brom territory, playing like we were last season you think I would be moaning/worrying? Of course not. Let's say Benitez took over next season & done well. Would I still be grinding a axe, did badly 'grind a axe'....I don't know why you think I have some cloud over me, filled with anger. I just feel the club, at the moment is on the slide. Hopefully Bilic & his backroom staff can sort it.

PP, ask you something? When Roeder got WHU 7th & following season was shipping goals & struggling many fans, a massive majority wanted him gone. I remember we got smashed vs Liverpool at Home & 6-0 defeat vs Man Utd in the FA Cup. Did you want him to stay or go that season? Do you see any similarities between Bilics reign at WH & Roeders?

Secondly PP, if Bilic never ever played for us, would your viewpoint be the same or slightly more questioning what's going on this season?

Postby Hamburger on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Jumby wrote:We're not organised, it's that simple.

I agree with Jumby, just not organised and run out of ideas. That eventually affects the players, they need to believe the manager can steer them in the right direction regardless. That's certainly a big factor in managers 'losing the dressing room', the players lose confidence in them. It's all very well trying to play for him because he's a 'decent bloke', they need to play for him because they absolutely believe he can make things happen for them tactically. That's why mediocre teams can sometimes punch above their weight, they believe in their manager. Doesn't always last but it's great when it does and I think Bilic 'had his day' last year, time for a new manager and new ideas.

We can't just rely on new players to lift the team, that's the mangers job, rain or shine
Hamburger

Postby New Jersey on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:52 am

Again, I"ll ask the questions. What were your expectations for this season? What about next season? We are 12th, we could end up 8th or 15th. People calling out the manager must have an agenda, maybe like Cardiff who wishes we still had Big Sam in charge. I didn't like Sam, but I understood that we needed him and he served his purpose. He is now at Palace and will no doubt keep them up, more so because Sunderland, Boro and Hull look doomed than Palace playing sexy football. We had Sam, we moved on with Slav. Last season was the best in many years, this season has had it's challenges, whether it be the board's fault, the player's or Slav's. Yet there's been moments and I think they'll be more, where I've been excited by our play and results.

I really don't get why we would change our manager, and I'm not sure who would come in and do any better? Yet the doom and gloom merchants are stirring the pot, to what end? Everyone can and should have an opinion, but let's base our opinions on reasonable expectations. We aren't good enough for 7th, but we are nowhere near relegation.
New Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion