And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby szola on Fri May 19, 2017 10:32 am

Marky wrote:I would imagine we pay higher wages than our league position would show.

We do. Although we don't pay as high as the next bracket of team do.
We should be safe mid-table. We are four points off 8th, after 37 games.
That would make our season worst than last season, though no nightmare.

Marky wrote:Up and down performances? From where I have been the up have been very few UPs. I have been at a lot of the one goal victories and they have been very fortunate.

We've had two good runs. At least.
]
szola

Postby btajim - mcfc on Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 am

If results go against you on Sunday then you could fall deeply in to the bottom third of the table. I've not watched a great deal of West Ham this season but there's been some real spankings.

I like Slaven Bilic but I don't see West Ham being as effective as his Croatia and Besiktas sides were. Perhaps give him the summer to improve the squad but prepare to wield the axe if you start badly next season. The likes of Swansea or Palace made a change this season and they picked up.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby swash on Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 am

Body language didn't look great at the presser, still think he could be getting the Spanish Archer after the Burnley match and he knows it.
swash

Postby HammerMan2004 on Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:If results go against you on Sunday then you could fall deeply in to the bottom third of the table. I've not watched a great deal of West Ham this season but there's been some real spankings.

I like Slaven Bilic but I don't see West Ham being as effective as his Croatia and Besiktas sides were. Perhaps give him the summer to improve the squad but prepare to wield the axe if you start badly next season. The likes of Swansea or Palace made a change this season and they picked up.

It's a miracle we haven't gone down given that 10 players have been out for more than 2.5months this season.
HammerMan2004

Postby warp on Fri May 19, 2017 12:05 pm

btajim - mcfc wrote:If results go against you on Sunday then you could fall deeply in to the bottom third of the table. I've not watched a great deal of West Ham this season but there's been some real spankings.

proper modern football mentality!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby MB on Fri May 19, 2017 1:12 pm

swash wrote:Body language didn't look great at the presser, still think he could be getting the Spanish Archer after the Burnley match and he knows it.

Could be pain from his hip? Seems his mobility has been worse in recent weeks.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Looked up "presser" after reading these posts; seems to be a dry cleaning job.

Forget about "top 6", should be happy if we can consistently achieve 7-9. Never done so before.
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby sendô on Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:Looked up "presser" after reading these posts; seems to be a dry cleaning job.

Forget about "top 6", should be happy if we can consistently achieve 7-9. Never done so before.

We've never done consistency, unless you count the constant 5 year cycles of getting a promising side, having a good season, failing to build on it and subsequently watching the team implode and struggle/go down, then have to start rebuilding again.
sendô

Postby Robbie on Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 pm

A very honest and realistic interview. A season of abominating factors which would have seen some clubs implode.
We didn't and that is credit to Slav only.
Onwards and upwards.
It's nothing new, and I have certainly seen worse. :crest:
Robbie

Postby steveyrockstar on Sat May 20, 2017 10:04 am

Great column from Slav in the standard yesterday I thought. Read more like a post from a rational KUMBster than anything else.
steveyrockstar

Postby ironilunga on Sat May 20, 2017 10:35 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:Perhaps give him the summer to improve the squad but prepare to wield the axe if you start badly next season

If there is doubt then he should go now. No point in giving him a summer of transfer funds.
ironilunga

Postby Humbug on Sat May 20, 2017 11:39 am

I think Bilic deserves another season with a fully fit and strengthened squad (dead wood gone) . But if he were to go I'd like us to consider bringing in the Fulham manager (Slaviša Jokanović).
Humbug

Postby mushy on Sat May 20, 2017 12:07 pm

steveyrockstar wrote:. Read more like a post from a rational KUMBster than anything else.

Does such a thing exist?
mushy

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sun May 21, 2017 5:43 pm

delightfully quiet in this thread today.

give any number of other managers the hand he was dealt and we go down. we certainly don't secure saftey with a 1-0 over a team who had just won 9 on the bounce and score 13 in their next two games.

absolute mare of a season which ended a point off 8th. well in slav.

today's result doesn't paper over our deficiencies but should give him a bit more steel in his stride when he walks into sully's office tomorrow.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Ted Fenton on Sun May 21, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm not convinced that Bilic wasn't allowed to play a significant part in this season's signings; if he is being sidetracked or overuled he should be strong enough to walk or the same will keep occuring.
The oft repeated "moving to the next level" will IMHO need a new, stonger and more tactical capable manager, much as I warm to Bilic as a person.
Ted Fenton

Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain

Postby costa75 on Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 pm

I have been a bit baffled by certain things from him this season, but I'm hoping that he is given a transfer kitty to buy the players we need, and I look forward to seeing Super Slav at the start of next season.
costa75

Postby stu1 on Sun May 21, 2017 6:08 pm

If we can have another transfer window like in 2015 and Slaven has learnt to react quicker when his experiences go wrong then I think we should aiming to challenge Everton next season.

However if we come even close to repeating the summer of 2016 and Slaven continues to persist with things when they clearly aren't working I can see another season where we flirt with relegation.
stu1

Postby Pob! on Sun May 21, 2017 6:27 pm

All things considered... Well done Slav :scarfer:
Pob!

Postby Mosterhammer on Sun May 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Ted Fenton wrote:I'm not convinced that Bilic wasn't allowed to play a significant part in this season's signings; if he is being sidetracked or overuled he should be strong enough to walk or the same will keep occuring.
The oft repeated "moving to the next level" will IMHO need a new, stonger and more tactical capable manager, much as I warm to Bilic as a person.

It's this simple.
Mosterhammer

Postby Lostcoco on Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Lostcoco

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion