West Ham United sack Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Pentonville, I agree with most of that but having less time? The game was much slower back in the 70's and 80's than compared today. Todays players are fitter and faster
hammerdivone

Postby Colours never run on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 am

hammerdivone wrote:Pentonville, I agree with most of that but having less time? The game was much slower back in the 70's and 80's than compared today. Todays players are fitter and faster

Was just about to say the same. Everything is just about spot on though. Brooking however would flourish today, no doubt about that. He's have a field day playing on super slick perfect pitches and being protected by refs (in theory).
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 am

Sir Trev was also a rare breed, a loyal servant of the club. I was at the match v Liverpool in 1978 which doomed us to relegation. After the game he took the time to get on the microphone to announce that he was staying with us, after weeks of rumours that he would leave if we got relegated. What a man.
trevshead10may1980

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 am

trevshead10may1980 wrote:Sir Trev was also a rare breed, a loyal servant of the club. I was at the match v Liverpool in 1978 which doomed us to relegation. After the game he took the time to get on the microphone to announce that he was staying with us, after weeks of rumours that he would leave if we got relegated. What a man.

Carlton Cole took a 50% pay cut and turned down a premiership move. Legend.
thejackhammer

Postby bubbles500 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:03 am

The players must know that in 95% likelihood Bilic is gone at the end of the season if not before.I just wonder how this affects their opinion on him.Surely it must devalue his voice.Some Probably think yeah ok whatever mate you’ll be gone in a few months if not before.Just have no idea how he can operate under this kind of environment.
bubbles500

Postby Iron-worx on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:34 am

bubbles500 wrote:The players must know that in 95% likelihood Bilic is gone at the end of the season if not before.I just wonder how this affects their opinion on him.Surely it must devalue his voice.Some Probably think yeah ok whatever mate you’ll be gone in a few months if not before.Just have no idea how he can operate under this kind of environment.

I think it most likely that the decision is already made to run down his contract, with sacking him an option only in the event of a relegation threatening slump in form.

That's the least costly and minimum disruption way of going about things, and we've been going through the motions for some time now.
Iron-worx

Postby 1860OnceMoore on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

Slav' replacement is going to be Chris Coleman isn't it? :asleep:
1860OnceMoore

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am

bubbles500 wrote:The players must know that in 95% likelihood Bilic is gone at the end of the season if not before.I just wonder how this affects their opinion on him.Surely it must devalue his voice.Some Probably think yeah ok whatever mate you’ll be gone in a few months if not before.Just have no idea how he can operate under this kind of environment.

That says a lot about the type of players we have and not in a good way., although I do agree it's not just ours that exhibit this nastiness.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Location: Hit the fairway, hit the green, hole the putt. How hard can it be?

Postby The Gibbins on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:08 am

They undermined Allardyce when we were in the top four at Christmas and it sounds like they are doing the same again. Of course its different circumstances, but this time it is more dangerous. It is clear under Allardyce the performance dropped, the way we perfromed the first half of the season and then hardly won a game in the second half but this time we are down there and if the rot sets in and its clear our manager is going it could be too late to even get a permanent replacement in and save things.

They cannot keep running things on a shoe string and running down the contract of managers they don't like to save a few quid. These owners will forever hold the club back as they always try to cut corners in everything they do.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 pm

1860OnceMoore wrote:Slav' replacement is going to be Chris Coleman isn't it? :asleep:

I'm half-expecting Chris Hughton
prophet:marginal

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:I'm half-expecting Chris Hughton

Good manager. :thup:

Slav's taking us to Europa though - so he'll have to wait until our Champions League campaign.
bubbles1966

Postby MD_HM on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 pm

What if we win the league cup? Bilic would be our most successful manager in nearly 40 years!!!

I know Sullivan wants him gone and I believe if it was for fan and player power then he would be already but just imagine the above with "Super Slav" ringing round Wembley at the end of February

It would right **** Sullivan's plans up :lol:
MD_HM

Postby Doc H Ball on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:50 pm

I reckon bubbles has discovered sex or alcohol in the last month or so.
Doc H Ball

Postby Kialos on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Pentonville wrote:
Absolute blasphemy!! Players had less time on the ball back in the 70/80s, rubbish pitches, no prisoners tackling, no ref protecting the flair player etc, but Trevor like all the really great players seemed to stop time. He let the pass to him roll across him, no two touch, looked up and played the killer ball into the box. Players like him would always make the top grade. As for Bilic playing him, of course he would, he knows him personally.

I watched Trevor Brooking from the terraces, but thanks for sharing.
Kialos

Postby Kialos on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 pm

hammerdivone wrote:Pentonville, I agree with most of that but having less time? The game was much slower back in the 70's and 80's than compared today. Todays players are fitter and faster

Hurrah, one person seems to have actually grasped the context in which I made my original comment.

It was referring to the need to have players who have the speed and movement to make space in order to receive the ball. We have very few hence why we don't score many goals coming from several passes down the pitch towards goal.
Kialos

Postby Kialos on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm

Iron-worx wrote:I think it most likely that the decision is already made to run down his contract, with sacking him an option only in the event of a relegation threatening slump in form.

That's the least costly and minimum disruption way of going about things, and we've been going through the motions for some time now.

It is one of the most disruptive and divisive courses of action that an owner can take. It causes unrest and uncertainty in the dressing room, that in turn is going to affect performances out on the pitch. The collapse of the team's performances post Christmas during Allardyce's last season is a very recent example of what is likely to happen again.
Kialos

Postby MrHammer73 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:40 pm

William Carvalho again looked quality again for Portugal tonight and showed why Slav wanted him badly. He could have made such a difference to our midfield with his positional awareness & passing ability.

His stock is rising and a good World Cup would guarantee a summer move to a big club.

Dumb Dildo Brothers and their penny pitching cost us an ace.
MrHammer73

Postby Sulla on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 am

Zdravko Mamic, king maker in the Croatian Football Fed, claims he wants Bilic back in charge of Croatia for the World Cup. Croatia currently has an interim manager in charge who took over in the recent win away over the Ukraine. Croatia goes into playoff qualifications shortly so I imagine a decision would have to be made soon.
Sulla

Postby upton o'good on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 am

Kialos wrote:
Hurrah, one person seems to have actually grasped the context in which I made my original comment.

It was referring to the need to have players who have the speed and movement to make space in order to receive the ball. We have very few hence why we don't score many goals coming from several passes down the pitch towards goal.

The problem with your post is that you are conflating two totally separate qualities there. You don't need to be especially quick to show good movement. And movement cant definitely be coached. I am not a Bilic hater, but it is an area we should be better at.
upton o'good

Postby Westbourne Bill on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am

The Gibbins wrote:They undermined Allardyce when we were in the top four at Christmas and it sounds like they are doing the same again. Of course its different circumstances, but this time it is more dangerous. It is clear under Allardyce the performance dropped, the way we perfromed the first half of the season and then hardly won a game in the second half but this time we are down there and if the rot sets in and its clear our manager is going it could be too late to even get a permanent replacement in and save things.

They cannot keep running things on a shoe string and running down the contract of managers they don't like to save a few quid. These owners will forever hold the club back as they always try to cut corners in everything they do.

Absolutely. I'm not aware of another club where it's so clear to fans and players that a manager is on his way out so far in advance of it actually happening. A rolling 12 month contract would be better all round.
Westbourne Bill

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion