West Ham United sack Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

Westbourne Bill wrote:Absolutely. I'm not aware of another club where it's so clear to fans and players that a manager is on his way out so far in advance of it actually happening.

Watford, Palace
hammerdivone

Postby fmgod on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 am

Are we really going to give big credit to Billic if a 35 mil European Championship winner Carvalho turns out to be good, not like he was plucked from obscurity for a few mil
Last edited by fmgod on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

Doc H Ball wrote:I reckon bubbles has discovered sex or alcohol in the last month or so.

Been definite signs of over-optimism coming from The Bubbs in recent weeks , he's a great antidote to all the miserable negativity - probably discovered opiates .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Rafalution on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 am

Kialos wrote:It was referring to the need to have players who have the speed and movement to make space in order to receive the ball. We have very few hence why we don't score many goals coming from several passes down the pitch towards goal.

Once again, you don't need pace to make space. Just look at Berbatov, moved like he smoked 60 a day, because he actually did somke 60 a day. Always had as much time on the ball as he wanted though...

The most important factor in cohesive passing football is knowing and understanding your team mates.

You learn this on the training field.

Have you ever actually kicked a football? I think not.
Rafalution

Postby Fishdo on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 am

fmgod wrote:Are we really going to give big credit to Billic if a 35 mil European Championship winner Carvalho turns out to be good, not like he was plucked from obscurity for a few mil

For me mate, the biggest issue isn’t so much who was identified but rather the fact Slav asked for that position to be filled and the board failed to fill it ... they chose not to back the manager and in doing so our club is suffering.....
Fishdo

Postby fmgod on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 am

To be honest he has had 24 months previous to fill it, not exactly like it came out the blue.

Also can't stand this modern obsession with pace, like real life football is a FIFA game, the ball moves quicker than the man, give me a good footballer any day over a sprinter, i mean if you can combine both like a Bale. younger Ronaldo etc you have almost the complete player. Just look at previous winners last few years Real Madrid, midfield three of Kroos, Modric, Casemiro hardly screams pace, Marcelo and Carval are quick but also awesome footballers.
fmgod

Postby somerset-hammer on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:19 am

Rafalution.

Nice to see a fan of another team posting so passionately about the hammers.

Who are Newcastle playing this weekend?
somerset-hammer

Postby The Gibbins on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 am

Sulla wrote:Zdravko Mamic, king maker in the Croatian Football Fed, claims he wants Bilic back in charge of Croatia for the World Cup. Croatia currently has an interim manager in charge who took over in the recent win away over the Ukraine. Croatia goes into playoff qualifications shortly so I imagine a decision would have to be made soon.

Interesting, i wonder if Bilic would want to go back.
I'm sure i remember an article saying he was one of the worst paid managers when he was in charge before which was why he looked to break into club football.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby Wilko1304 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am

He could quite easily be preparing whilst working for us, knowing he was gonna take the job.

Could even imagine he could do both, not that our lot would allow it.

He should wait to see if they qualify and then tell them he wants it. He could wait till Feb to take the job, which means he can also see first if he gets backed in the window. He knows he's on thin ice cos of how they work above him
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby Fishdo on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:29 am

fmgod wrote:To be honest he has had 24 months previous to fill it, not exactly like it came out the blue.

rs.

Slav was looking to fill that position after Song went and made various comments about that position along the way.... I always thought that he was given Nordy to meet this need and that failed as we saw...

The board told him he would have to sell to buy which he did ... the board then decided to withdraw their support by failing to buy despite selling and not replacing the gaps or with other players etc

The point for me is no matter how good or bad you see Slav as a manager... it is the board that have failed him and most importantly our club by their decisions and actions ....
Fishdo

Postby Carlton'sGoal on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:43 am

Rafalution wrote:Once again, you don't need pace to make space. Just look at Berbatov, moved like he smoked 60 a day, because he actually did somke 60 a day. Always had as much time on the ball as he wanted though...

Berbatov when talking about how much space he had said a thing that's always stuck with me and has definitely filtered into how I play. He was asked how he finds space and his answer was that he doesn't find space, it finds him. When everyone's running around, he said to just stand still and everyone runs away from you.

Also Berbatov got away with it because he had a touch softer than Lionel Richie's undies.
Carlton'sGoal

Postby Adam 'The Smudge' on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Just as a comment on pace, its noticeable how Everton are struggling since they have little or none.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Postby southendmadhammer on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Carlton'sGoal wrote:
Also Berbatov got away with it because he had a touch softer than Lionel Richie's undies.

Easily the best first touch of anyone I've seen play live or otherwise. Was mesmerising.
southendmadhammer

Postby Jon on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Still think pace is crucial. Counter attacking football, whether be from your box or half way line is a killer.

Sure the ball moves quickly but unless the player is fast he can't catch up with it. Getting in behind the full backs is surely the key in most games.
Jon

Postby Monkeybubbles on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Carlton'sGoal wrote:

Monkeybubbles

Postby -DL- on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 pm

thejackhammer wrote:
Carlton Cole took a 50% pay cut and turned down a premiership move. Legend.

Carlton Cole had a 50% pay cut relegation clause in his contract and no other club wanted to pay any money for him.

Of course, your version sounds much more romantic.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby hammernsickle on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:44 pm

-DL- wrote:Of course, your version sounds much more romantic.

Look, I'm all for uncomfortable yet honest amounts of realism in just about anything - Bilic, the Daves, my sex life - but I have to draw the line at Carlton Cole.

The first goal I ever saw him score was off the back of his head and he knew nothing about it.

Legend.

:scarfer:
hammernsickle

Postby Kialos on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Rafalution wrote:
Once again, you don't need pace to make space. Just look at Berbatov, moved like he smoked 60 a day, because he actually did somke 60 a day. Always had as much time on the ball as he wanted though...

The most important factor in cohesive passing football is knowing and understanding your team mates.

You learn this on the training field.

Have you ever actually kicked a football? I think not.

I am having a discussion relevant to the type of players West Ham have in their side and type of players the manager said he wanted in his side. I think that impacts on the way West Ham play.

I am not interested in opinions from people who selectively pick out players who are exceptions to the norm.

Bilic said he wanted pace.This is a thread on Bilic.

Have you every managed a premier league side? I think not.

As far as I am concerned correspondence on this matter is now closed.

Enjoy the rest of your evening,
Kialos

Postby brothernero on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Don't know where else to put this, but I had the radio on earlier and they said Sam Allardyce is all set to take part in the next series of I'm A Celebrity. :shock:

(still wont watch it, utter tripe)

EDIT, Meant to click on the England thread, sorry.
brothernero

Postby Beavis Danzig on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm

can imagine him going full heart of darkness and becoming some corpulent jungle deity downing the flesh of his companions with a tankard of gravy.
Beavis Danzig

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion