West Ham United sack Slaven Bilic

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: And the new Manager is Slaven Bilic

Postby HammerMan2004 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 am

There has to be some substance to the rumours. Arsenal could have no Wenger next season and even they get barely any rumours, almost none compared to the daily/weekly rumours we get.
HammerMan2004

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Slav is going to quit at the end of the season in my opinion. I think Jinxed might agree.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby The Gibbins on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Sean Dyche has proved he can work on a shoe string and work with whats available, but his football is less than exciting. I would rather see what he can do once established. Don't get me wrong he has done a phenomenal job but he has never really played inspiring football, why would you get rid of Allardyce and then hire Sean Dyche a couple of years later?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby SBB on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Slav is going to quit at the end of the season in my opinion. I think Jinxed might agree.

Jinxed called him gone by the end of the day 3 weeks ago. He is still here.............
SBB

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm

ironilunga wrote:Personally think there is heaps of premier league experience there. Downing, Nolan, Noble, Jussi, Cole.

But at that stage championship players in the main.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby Turns to Stone on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:35 pm

As The Gibbins has said, Dyche strikes me as doing a very similar job to the one that Allardyce was doing at Bolton. Strong at the back, very hard to beat at home but not much fun.

I'm a big fan of Eddie Howe, but Bournemouth have conceded even more goals than we have this year.

The squad is not well-balanced, but generally good. We're probably only 3 players away from being top 10. The big thing for me has to be that a decision has to be made by the board of who is the right man to choose the players to come in this summer. The answer to me should always be 'The manager'. Sadly, our owners don't seem to see it that way...which is why I have long-term concerns for whoever it is that is in charge come September.
Turns to Stone

Postby sandbanks on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

I believe he will be gone at the end of the season too. He will resign.

The board have publicly backed him as they know if they didn't there would be an even greater wedge driven between them and the fans. The board have also said that whenever any transfers are made Slav has the final say, nor do they get involved with team selection. (How much of this is true is open to speculation but this is what they have said in the public domain, backed by Slav himself).

However, the board, and a fair number of people on here, are starting to ask, quite rightly, questions about his backroom staff - the coaches, the medical team and what exactly do they do? As has been written on here ad infinitum why is our defence so poor when both Slav and Julian Dicks were such good defenders? Dicks' daughter has stated on Twitter that her father is not involved with coaching defence, but nobody as yet has been able to ascertain exactly what his role is within the club. Chief mascot perhaps?

So whilst the board have backed the manager they are less sure about his selection of non-playing staff. I think he will be asked to change things up or else, and believing him to be an honourable man he'll say 'if they go, I'm going too'.

Time will tell.
sandbanks

Postby Ozza on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Until the three stooges are done with our club the manager whoever it is is irrelevant in my opinion.
Ozza

Postby szola on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:52 pm

fjthegrey wrote:A terrible way to employ a manager at any level. Shows no sense of long term game plan or forward thinking.

I don't believe it myself.

How did the owners conduct themselves with regards to the mangers they have had at the club since their takeover?

How was Zola, Grant and Allardyce dismissed? Have they no record of using the media to put out feelers for managers and players?
szola

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:The squad is not well-balanced, but generally good. We're probably only 3 players away from being top 10.

This sort of reality is what many don't seem to want to face. We are maybe 3 players away from being a WBA or Watford.

In spite of all the next level crap we are a 7-15th type football club, we may have the odd miracle season and make the top 6. In the 5 years since we came back up we have finished 10th, 13th, 12th, 7th and probably 12-15th, we have been in europe twice and we will most likely have got rid of 2 managers. If Eddie Howe or whoever comes in we will finish the next 5 seasons in 7-15th, we may make it into europe once or twice, maybe have a cup run and we will look to be in a relegation scrap once or twice. There is no manager out there that is going to turn this club in its present form into a top 6 club surely we are all aware of this. So the problem fans seem to have with Bilic is the flirt with relegation this year (and the strong possibility it will happen again next year if he stays). Therefore what we are after is an attack minded manager, who can work with players the top 30 or so clubs around the world don't want and who never gets us into a relegation fight. He also has to be thick skinned enough to cope with the board undermining him at every opportunity and can expect to see his replacements being courted while he is still in the job.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby WorcesterWHU on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:08 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:
This sort of reality is what many don't seem to want to face. We are maybe 3 players away from being a WBA or Watford.

In spite of all the next level crap we are a 7-15th type football club, we may have the odd miracle season and make the top 6. In the 5 years since we came back up we have finished 10th, 13th, 12th, 7th and probably 12-15th, we have been in europe twice and we will most likely have got rid of 2 managers. If Eddie Howe or whoever comes in we will finish the next 5 seasons in 7-15th, we may make it into europe once or twice, maybe have a cup run and we will look to be in a relegation scrap once or twice. There is no manager out there that is going to turn this club in its present form into a top 6 club surely we are all aware of this. So the problem fans seem to have with Bilic is the flirt with relegation this year (and the strong possibility it will happen again next year if he stays). Therefore what we are after is an attack minded manager, who can work with players the top 30 or so clubs around the world don't want and who never gets us into a relegation fight. He also has to be thick skinned enough to cope with the board undermining him at every opportunity and can expect to see his replacements being courted while he is still in the job.

The issue here is the stadium. I completely agree with everything you've said but the positioning of the move from those that sanctioned it makes the reality of our level difficult for some to see.
WorcesterWHU

Postby Knighter10WHU on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:11 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:This sort of reality is what many don't seem to want to face. We are maybe 3 players away from being a WBA or Watford.

Blimey, I cannot wait for us to get to the 'next level' :raver:
Knighter10WHU

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:12 pm

szola wrote:How did the owners conduct themselves with regards to the mangers they have had at the club since their takeover?

How was Zola, Grant and Allardyce dismissed? Have they no record of using the media to put out feelers for managers and players?

Oh they're total muppets mate. Underhand and unpleasant wherever they can be, it seems.

I just don't believe they'd invite managers to impress them. They will aproach them.
fjthegrey

Postby arlhe on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 pm

As ever we will diss any manager, no matter how good he's been to that point, as soon as the team has a bad run, whatever the circumstances.

No better than Arsenal.
arlhe

Postby SBB on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

arlhe wrote:As ever we will diss any manager, no matter how good he's been to that point, as soon as the team has a bad run, whatever the circumstances.

No better than Arsenal.

Totally agree, real shame.
I can understand individual opinions on individual managers but when over an extended period of time, it becomes a perpetual moanfest when things don't work how you like it, it's a real shame
SBB

Postby Pulls up Trees on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Dicks is a coaching assistant. It's his job to support the coach in his duties by setting up the coaching area, and get the players ready to train. In other words, Balls, Bibs and Cones.

Why this is still a mystery to some people I don't know...
Pulls up Trees

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:35 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:This sort of reality is what many don't seem to want to face. We are maybe 3 players away from being a WBA or Watford.

Maybe this season. I think that looking at our squad man for man, we have a better squad than both of those teams.

The difference being that their managers are getting the most out of the squads they have. As many have already said, we have a number of players in our squad with good reputations outside of their time at West Ham, yet we have produced some pretty poor stuff on a number of occasions.

Of course there are various other factors that have affected our form this season (we aren't the first team to struggle in a new home), but I would have hoped that a number of our tactical issues would have been resolved after 38+ games. I see no signs of that as of yet.

Have we improved since the beginning of this season? I'm not talking about transfers, but actually what is produced on the pitch. I would say not. That is an issue.

Hopefully Slav can sort this out, but it might be too late.
Jeffcoate321

Postby hammerddh on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:46 pm

So here our Points Total for the last 4 seasons :
So far we are on 37 with 5 games left. I'll ere on the side of generous and give us another 5 points. So 42. which is pretty much the average points totla of Big Sam's era. Clearly last year was a massive over-acheivment and I dont think you can underestimate the impact of Payet both individually and also what he would do to the mindset of the teams we were up against.
Bilic has had a lot to deal with this year but I also feel at times he has made some poor decisions and judgement calls.

For me I would give him the summer to recruit both on and off the field but if no distinguishable improvement is visible before christmas I think his goose will be cooked
hammerddh

Postby Estuary on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:53 pm

Ozza wrote:Until the three stooges are done with our club the manager whoever it is is irrelevant in my opinion.

Pretty much.
Estuary

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:56 pm

Jeffcoate321 wrote:Maybe this season. I think that looking at our squad man for man, we have a better squad than both of those teams.

The difference being that their managers are getting the most out of the squads they have. As many have already said, we have a number of players in our squad with good reputations outside of their time at West Ham, yet we have produced some pretty poor stuff on a number of occasions.

Have we improved since the beginning of this season? I'm not talking about transfers, but actually what is produced on the pitch. I would say not. That is an issue.

Isn't this essentially the point at the level we are at, one season has almost no relevance to another. Last season based on this argument you would have sacked Pulis (I wouldn't have blamed you lol) yet this season he has got them performing again.

Our problem is player recruitment it has been for the best part of of a decade or more. We consistently sign players with massive question marks against them. The two most common have raised their heads frequently with signings this year, the 'here for one last pay day' types and the 'not suited to the PL'. Lots of players with good reputations don't suit the PL we seem to find more than our fair share, this season has been a high watermark even for us. We also like to sign 'cheap due to injury concerns' and 'just plain cheap with an exotic name'

We are worse this year than last thats incontrovertible, its largely because we had one of the best players in world football last season. It is also incontrovertible that virtually no signings of established players has worked. i think its because we signed the wrong type of player, the board and many fans may think its poor management of the right players, they could easily be right. If thats so then changing the manager will cure all the teams ills
SammyLeeWasOffside

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion