✍️ Welcome Angelo Ogbonna

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Re: Angelo Ogbonna

Post by bobd_uk »

Yea Why Not wrote: Oxford has been injured until recently. Burke isn't with us. Collins has been injured. Unless you would have rather a midfielder at center half an injured Oggy was litterally the only option
Burke is injured too. Hasn't played for Wigan for over a month now as he has a hernia.
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

After all that's gone on over the last couple of weeks I have one word for this fella
RESPECT
miles
This site...
Has liked: 322 likes
Total likes: 421 likes

Post by miles »

Now I'm sorry I called him a Manuel da Costa impersonator. Get well soon, Oggy...
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 427 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Delighted to see the reaction to Ogbonna on here. Hopefully, he gets well in time for the start of next season.
Patito

Post by Patito »

In bocca al lupo, Oggy. Ci vediamo a presto!
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

We have Reid, Fonte and Collins fit and i guess Oxford will be back soon. Then we will have Kouyate back in February who can slot in if he is needed so we have good options.

Hopefully his operation goes smoothly, had no idea he was playing injured which shows his dedication to the team. Get well soon :thup:
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Not a peep from Ogbonna whilst he played with this injury situation .

Thank You Angelo , get well soon and we we will welcome you back in August
Totally agree. In his position, imagine how tempting it must have been to hit back at any criticisms by making his situation public. And that's not to mention that he agreed to play at all when he could have legitimately refused.

I don't disagree that he has his 'moments', but we have seen him play well for us (sometimes very well). Looking forward to seeing him back to full fitness.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

I'm finding this difficult to comprehend . If a person has an injury that needs an operation , how the hell can he play a physical game of football every week (whilst also training) in one of the toughest leagues in the world? It must be an impediment of some sort or a floating piece of ligament. Whatever it is , can that explain his lethargy in turning? Maybe we wanted to keep it a secret so that the opposition wouldn't take advantage of that situation. Having a gaping weakness at right back while also having a central defender whose full range of motion is compromised seems a recipe for disaster.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Humbug wrote:I'm finding this difficult to comprehend . If a person has an injury that needs an operation , how the hell can he play a physical game of football every week (whilst also training) in one of the toughest leagues in the world? It must be an impediment of some sort or a floating piece of ligament. Whatever it is , can that explain his lethargy in turning? Maybe we wanted to keep it a secret so that the opposition wouldn't take advantage of that situation. Having a gaping weakness at right back while also having a central defender whose full range of motion is compromised seems a recipe for disaster.

I hear you and have wondered the same. Technically he needs some surgery but clearly not bad enough to prevent him from playing week in, week out and Training like you say. Sounds to me like some kind of clean up/tidy up job that's niggled him slightly. Where he deserves credit, is he could have used it as a convenient excuse so not to play and think only about himself, rather than his team mates he clearly cares about otherwise he wouldn't have continued playing on when we were thread bare for Centre Halves especially after letting Tomkins go without a suitable replacement. However it doesn't excuse his general game, like the lethargy you picked up on because I witnessed the same bad habits to his game this season and the last one. And to the best of my knowledge he wasn't struggling with an injury last season. I also agree the Club did well to keep the news quiet so Teams didn't constantly try exploiting him as a weak link all the time.

I make no secret I'm not one of his biggest fans as a player but he deserves respect for putting the Team first before himself. A certain Frenchman could take a leaf out of his book for a change.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Partial tear in knee cartilage can be uncomfortable but not intolerable and you would be able to function in a game of football. It would definitely affect sharpness, particularly with turning and acceleration. It is likely to be degenerative as well, so the injury, put under heavy duress would only get gradually worse.

I think it's safe to assume he hasn't been training at full intensity either, which would also have affected his general performance.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

fjthegrey wrote:Partial tear in knee cartilage can be uncomfortable but not intolerable and you would be able to function in a game of football. It would definitely affect sharpness, particularly with turning and acceleration. It is likely to be degenerative as well, so the injury, put under heavy duress would only get gradually worse.

I think it's safe to assume he hasn't been training at full intensity either, which would also have affected his general performance.
Such an injury would be repaired through keyhole though (I've had 3 plus 2 major knee ops) and I don't think would render him out for the rest of the season , something a bit more substantial I would think .
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

Surgery all done

https://twitter.com/OgbonnaOfficial" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hard to dislike the geez.

He seems completely uncynical.
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 93 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40462345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pleased with that, usually pretty solid if he can stay fit.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Naturally I hoped we would sell him this Summer. Still whilst he's with us I'll cheer him to the rafters (before laughing once he starts gifting free kicks, going on one of his walkabouts, passes go astray).
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

As long as he stays fit and stops grabbing I think he'll be okay, he's a decent enough left sided centre half and will be a good stop gap before Ben Davies arrives :)
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5678 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Jumby wrote:As long as he stays fit and stops grabbing I think he'll be okay, he's a decent enough left sided centre half and will be a good stop gap before Ben Davies arrives :)
Though Davies was a fullback? A poor one at that...
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

MB wrote: Though Davies was a fullback? A poor one at that...
Davies is best as a left sided centre half, as was very evident at the Euros for Wales, he was fantastic as a the left sided centre half of the three Coleman employed, I think he'd slot into our system perfectly.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Colours never run wrote:Naturally I hoped we would sell him this Summer. Still whilst he's with us I'll cheer him to the rafters (before laughing once he starts gifting free kicks, going on one of his walkabouts, passes go astray).
by laughing, you mean digging him out on an internet forum before bringing up flogging james tomkins like he went on to be the next ramos.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I'm quite happy to "dig him out" because IMO he makes far too many mistakes. Another here, who would rather we had found an upgrade on him than given him a new long contract.