✍️ Welcome Angelo Ogbonna

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: Angelo Ogbonna

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Colours never run wrote:Naturally I hoped we would sell him this Summer.
Naturally ? Seems a bit unfair. :shock:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Our best centre back. Thrilled we've signed him to a new contract, and hope he's fit again for the start of the season.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

YorksHammer wrote:Our best centre back. Thrilled we've signed him to a new contract, and hope he's fit again for the start of the season.
A Liverpool fan commented to me about Ogbonna signing a new contract and said what good news it was as the times he's seen him he thought he was top class. Not the first non West Ham fan who's mentioned him to me either.

I really like him. I think defensively we are looking o.k now. Reid, Fonte, Ogbonna and Collins as an option is fine by me. We have 4 full backs now also. I agree with some other posters who have said that a proper holding midfielder is key.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Naturally ? Seems a bit unfair. :shock:

Naturally, because it's well known I don't rate him and saw it as a good opportunity to get our money back. Others are entitled to think otherwise though. The one thing I do like about us playing 3 at the back means it's not so bad whoever is asked to play at the back as there's an additional Centre Half around to cover.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Reid can make the two either side of him look better than they are by covering and sweeping up. That said Fonte and the Ogmonster need to be on it, no f**king about, no slack marking, no grabbing, no trying to be Iniesta on the edge of their box, keep it simple and keep it tight.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

The elephant in the room.

He's the constant at the back who causes so many issues, it's holding us back from progressing as a Team as we are always having to carry him and his error prone ways.

He rarely tackles, poor distribution, a free kick liability, ball watches, lacks intelligence, awareness of his surroundings and who's near him, often caught out of position and facing his own goal chasing shadows.

It doesn't matter how much coaching, carrying a knock, not injured, he's simply not going to improve and we will continue to leak goals like a sieve whilst he's at the heart of our defence.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

One of the 1st names on the team sheet for me. Class player. :crest:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

It's almost worrying to me that you had to drag this thread up after a game where the other centre back was atrocious.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

I usually agree with your opinions CNR but not this one I'm afraid!

Him & Reid are our strongest centre back pairing and a very good pair at that.

He has flaws, he is quite error prone but he is mostly a very competent centre back.
Colours never run

Vienna wrote:One of the 1st names on the team sheet for me. Class player. :crest:

Fair enough.

What is he class at that I'm missing? When did he last have good games?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Colours never run wrote:He's the constant at the back who causes so many issues, it's holding us back from progressing as a Team as we are always having to carry him and his error prone ways.
great timing. it's not like fonte was the much worse defender on saturday... :thup:
Colours never run

Wilko1304 wrote:It's almost worrying to me that you had to drag this thread up after a game where the other centre back was atrocious.

I'm amazed he gets overlooked for so much of our defensive woes. Fonte quite rightly already had a hammering, why is Ogbonna any different?
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Lil Joe 17 wrote:I usually agree with your opinions CNR but not this one I'm afraid!

Him & Reid are our strongest centre back pairing and a very good pair at that.

He has flaws, he is quite error prone but he is mostly a very competent centre back.
A competent midfield destroyer, sat in front of the back line, will surely make a massive difference.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Colours never run wrote:

Fair enough.

What is he class at that I'm missing? When did he last have good games?
He weren't awful on Saturday, he reads the game well, better or on par with Reid. He has only been back for 3 games since his surgery?
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

This is exactly it. Fonte gets pelters all the time. Ogbonna seems almost immune.

I would not be bothered at all if he never played for us again. Can't see what anyone likes about him, he gets the basics so wrong. Was awful last season and is still awful now. How many times does he just watch play go past him and think "nah, can't be bothered with that, I'll just stand here instead". Had a decent run when he first came to us, but beyond that... nope, not for me. Clive. There, I've said it.
Colours never run

For me he's 1 of the worst readers of the game at the Club. Is that all he's good at?

The one good attribute I can level at him hand on heart is his headering, beyond that I'm struggling to see what he does so well, but can spot his errors a mile off.

If in bad it my way I'd sell both Fonte and Ogbonna if we are serious about improving our defence.

3 at the back is a more tolerable option for both as they'll always be a sweeper covering to mop up their mess, but have we bodies now to rely on that regularly?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Colours never run wrote: The one good attribute I can level at him hand on heart is his headering, beyond that I'm struggling to see what he does so well, but can spot his errors a mile off.
Heading. Just sayin'....
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

wildkard wrote:How many times does he just watch play go past him and think "nah, can't be bothered with that, I'll just stand here instead".
no idea. care to point them out? honestly!

Colours never run wrote:beyond that I'm struggling to see what he does so well, but can spot his errors a mile off.
curious, that tends to happen when you have some bias and you are more happy to criticize someone than to laud him :wink:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

wildkard wrote:This is exactly it. Fonte gets pelters all the time. Ogbonna seems almost immune.

I would not be bothered at all if he never played for us again. Can't see what anyone likes about him, he gets the basics so wrong. Was awful last season and is still awful now. How many times does he just watch play go past him and think "nah, can't be bothered with that, I'll just stand here instead". Had a decent run when he first came to us, but beyond that... nope, not for me. Clive. There, I've said it.
:thup: no confidence in him
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not too sure about him really .