✍️ Welcome Angelo Ogbonna

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Re: Angelo Ogbonna

Post by mattyD »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:This guy is back 3 or nothing. A total liability when not part of a back 3.
this
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

As others have said - the difference between back-4 Ogbonna and back-5 Ogbonna is night and day
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The sooner we get rid of this defensive clown, the better. He simply ain't good enough at this level on a consistent basis, runs around like a clueless headless chicken and has been a part of teams at the heart of defences that has consistently consisted 3 goals or more since he arrived. The trend proves that and he's been doing it since he first got in the 1st team.

I've never known a player to get such an easy ride from fans at the Club, rarely criticised, simply because he used to warm the Juve and Italian subs benches and for being a nice chap, though he is. 1 good game in a blue moon doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

I feel exactly the same about Masuaku in defence also, he's never a defencer, should only be considered as a winger.

My heart sank the second I saw the team sheet at the beginning of the game seeing them both in defence.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

reo_coker20 wrote:Last season he looked good in a back 3 maybe he had 2 covering him but he looks so casual that he looks uninterested
100%

Been saying it for ages now, at best he should only be considered in a back 3 mainly because it means he has more bodies around him that can mask his deficiencies covering him.

Total night and day between him and Balbuena who's only just arrived in European football. Ogbonna shouldn't be starting games against top level opposition, used predominantly from the bench or not at all.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 332 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Strange error prone performances this season when for the second half of last season he was excellent. Need Reid back ASAP.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

He's a poor defender........
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

He is what I always thought a class player, we would be mad to let him leave. Diop and Ogbonna are the best partnership we have.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Vienna wrote:He is what I always thought a class player, we would be mad to let him leave. Diop and Ogbonna are the best partnership we have.
We definitely need to hold onto him. He’s far from the first name on the sheet, but he’s more than a useful sub.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

Vienna wrote:He is what I always thought a class player, we would be mad to let him leave. Diop and Ogbonna are the best partnership we have.
Not sure I agree with that, Ogbonna has too many howlers for me. I think he’s worth a place in the squad but I’d pick Balbuena over him at the moment.
kentishiron
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by kentishiron »

He done well against Cardiff too I thought, I do also think Balbuena looks to have a few errors in him, as does Diop, as does every centre back we've ever had :lol:
Colours never run

:? Vienna

I don't think he was that good tonight, he just wasn't god awful. Got away with some bad challenges that went unpunished outside the box, went AWOL on occasions in the middle (see goal) and became invisible when Ings ran through him after just 5 mins having to rely on Ings thankfully wasting a golden opportunity to score. Southampton's impotent attack made him look better than he actually was because I can't recall him making important challenges/blocks etc. All the good work was coming from Diop.

Our recent upturn in results and performances since the Spurs Cup game he played in have coincided with him having a lengthy spell out of the side for long periods. We wouldn't be in the position we are now had he remained in the starting lineup.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I thought he did well last night. Hasn't played much football in a long time, and has come back in without too much of a problem. We do need more defensive cover however.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

GOOD SQUAD PLAYER AND CAN COVER DIOP AND BALBUENA.

ANY NEWS ON BALBUENA`S INJURY ?

WE NEED ANOTHER CB AS WE CANT RELY ON REID
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I said it on the match thread and worth repeating here.
He is am exemplary professional and we are lucky to have him.
No fuss about being on the bench and then steps in with decent performances when called upon. He is a great organiser and very vocal.
I agree with TTS that him and Diop is our best CB partnership as I am not convinced about the general.

The goal was Diagana''s fault and Oggy deserves to keep his place regardless of Balbuena.
only1post
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by only1post »

I don't think he was happy when Anderson and Snodgrass ****ed up that free kick in the first half.
Last edited by only1post on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1084 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

His most mature performance for a while... top stuff
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

yup would be disappointed if he's out of the door in Jan
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I don't rate him - he was OK last night, got away with a few late challenges.

A lot to be said for Crouchy's post about him being a model professional - a fair point and it's positive that he gets on with it and remains part of the team spirit etc. But that is the least I would expect - he hasn't been anywhere near good enough to command a spot in the side so he wouldn't have any grounds to moan to the manager.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Thought he was very good last night, solid. :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1664 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Patito wrote:Thought he was very good last night, solid. :thup:
he's played 3 times recently and been a very big part of the team playing well....

agree with Crouchy..

not a peep about not starting...etc. etc. etc.

4 aerial duels won
54 touches
80.5% pa
3 interceptions
7 clearances

not sure what else you'd want....

solid numbers I should think..

iirc against Cardiff most aerial duels..

of course it could also be that Pellers says you go try to win the headers, Issa you drop off

I don't have the capabilities to examine the game to the nth degree.....so I have to look at figures as is I am afraid.....

normally you don't lose your place to injury, but would feel a tad bit upset if it were me and I didn't keep my position...

manager's shout..................