✍️ Welcome Angelo Ogbonna

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bowltorious
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Re: Angelo Ogbonna

Post by bowltorious »

Honestly never understood the hate for him, always been good and only poor when the whole team were poor imo.
Believer
Has liked: 1431 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

Ludeksgloves wrote:I'd love to see a back three of Rice, Oggie and Collins. Winston is jaded and needs time off.
Agree about reid. However I’d be inclined to try Kouyate in a 3 man defence. Whether that’s with Ogbonna and Rice or Ogbonna and Collins would depend on availability of fullbacks as Rice looks to me as if he can slot in anywhere across the back.

Ogbonna is a top top player and I’ve been saying that on here for a while. People ridiculed me for it but this is a bloke who won the Serie A, a player that Conte wanted at Chelsea and may still want if they get rid of curly. He is a joy to watch. Yes he had a bit of a dodgy spell but all players do and maybe he wasn’t comfortable with the way he was being played latterly with Bilic. I’ve noticed he regularly encourages his team mates as well which is always a good sign. Cool, calm, classy and ours !! :thup:
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I like him. He's got one of those cheeky faces you just want to grab his cheek and say guurrchhhcha :)
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Was 1 of his best games tonight. Won everything in the air and got to most blocks. My MotM.

He only really looks this good with 2 other central defenders beside him which I think makes a big difference to the game.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Colossal.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Been outstanding the last 2 games. Putting Reid to shame.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1085 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Since Moyes came in he has been a revelation... similar to Arnie!

Long may it continue
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

He played for juventus so can't be a poor defender, some players take a year to adapt to a new league, different language, culture etc, it must be difficult to shout out your orders and organise the players around and in front of you if you don't speak the language confidently enough, this will come with time.
We are lucky to have such a quality player and hopefully he can only get better the longer he stays and the more games that he gets,
The only down side to his game is he is a bit grabby, Pearce needs a few sessions with him with his arms tied behind his back or strapped down by his side as snidey attackers will target his grappling for an easy penalty
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

As said playing well recently, the money we got him for considering where he had came from looks a bargain and shows how over priced players for our league are.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Been outstanding the last 2 games. Putting Reid to shame.
Imo Reid is not well. Just as Ogbonna wasn't 100 % fit when playing last autumn.
He has had minor issues with his fitness all through his time at ours, and closing in on 30, it seems to be getting to him more now than previously.
WickfordHammer86

Post by WickfordHammer86 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Been outstanding the last 2 games. Putting Reid to shame.
This. God knows what's up with Winston, looks very uncomfortable most games. Spends more time slipping and sliding around on his backside.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Reid has never taken well to playing on the right side of defence and only really looks at his best on the left hand side of a central pairing. Unfortunately for him that's also where Ogbonna plays.

Strangely he could have still played on the left side of a 3 with Ogbonna currently central and someone like Rice can slot comfortably into the right but for whatever reason that's not happened and Reid's doing what's asked of him. However for me, he just doesn't look at east that side of the pitch and never has done.

I do wonder whether Reid has these chats with the managers about how he feels playing there or whether he just does exactly what's asked of him without saying anything? Allardyce used to get the very best out of him during his time for 4 long season's and knew what made him tick and apart from his injury woes down the years was often widely regarded as a top class Centre Half certainly on the left side centre of the pitch.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Our best defender at the moment by a distance
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

I think he's looked really sharp recently, I think the back three for the last two games should be the first choice, Reid has looked better with those two.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Really establishing himself as our best centre half. Would be great to see Rice in there with him as a permanent fixture from next season
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Pushing Arnautovic close for hoty.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Along with others he's come right back into form.

Probably our best defender at the moment
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

One of the first names on my team sheet. He’s been a monster this season since Moyes.

Plus, he will always have a place in my personal hall of fame for that last minute header he scored against Liverpool in the cup a couple of seasons ago.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Prior to the surgery I'll admit I was highly critical of him, but that is because we didn't know he had an injury so I just couldn't believe how s**t he'd become.

Fast forward a year and he's our best defender, the defender we'd signed. It takes something special to look good in our team, especially in defence, for me him and Rice are now our first choice centre halves, Fonte has gone, Collins isn't available enough, same with Reid, Zabaleta and the crackpot aren't centre halves, they're old full backs.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Most underrated member of our squad by a distance. Top player, wed have been completely ****ed without him this season

Hopefully Oggy and Rice can strike a partnership next season