✍ Manuel Lanzini

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rtwhufc83

Re: Manuel Lanzini

Post by rtwhufc83 »

Its because the FA's idea is to have sit down happy clappy supporters. Kinda like someone else we know
daveo
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by daveo »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Have always said he can be better than Payet.

Firmly believe he will step up now and become the main man.

For **** sakes Gold Sullivan build a team around Manu.
Whilst he's a good young player and very promising, to suggest he'll be better than Payet (of last season) is wishful thinking IMO

Payet was a star at the Euros as well as one of the Prem players of last season and scored a string of phenomenal goals and voted 17th best player in the world

Manu has a very long way to go to come close to,that level though I hope he does of course, but it's unlikely in my view

He's an important cog in our team now but to "build our team around him" is asking a huge amount from a young kid
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Iron George wrote:Stupid rule though.

You get a yellow for celebrating with your own fans but nothing for the finger to the lips 'shushing' celebration to the opposition fans a la fat Frank.

Which of the two is likely to incite trouble.....?
It's not to do with inciting trouble although that would make more sense. Apparently it's due to advertising the PL brand.

When a goal is scored the TV camera's almost always go to a close up of the player who's shirt is filled with advertising for the PL, shirt sponsor, kit make...list could go on. If the player jumps into the crowd he deprives the TV director of this vital period of advertising the 'best' league in the world. It's the same as taking your shirt off if you score, no advertising on skin so the PL are not happy about it hence the imposition of a booking to try and prevent the behaviour they find abhorrent.

Utter b*llocks of a rule dictated by money not the love of the game
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

daveo wrote:
Whilst he's a good young player and very promising, to suggest he'll be better than Payet (of last season) is wishful thinking IMO

Payet was a star at the Euros as well as one of the Prem players of last season and scored a string of phenomenal goals and voted 17th best player in the world

Manu has a very long way to go to come close to,that level though I hope he does of course, but it's unlikely in my view

He's an important cog in our team now but to "build our team around him" is asking a huge amount from a young kid

I could also argue that Payet himself will also find it hard to emulate his own form of last season too, as this season has proved. What I'm hoping for, is seeing Lanzini perform more consistantly than Payet over the next few seasons, rather than just going mental in one of them. And one who's always a Team player first and foremost, unlike someone else I could mention.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Bamber Gascoigne wrote:
How far indeed!

Hmmmm, starters for ten, no conferring..... When the attack started (with Reids header out of the box to Antonio) he was standing on our own penalty spot - so possibly length of pitch (which is apparently the standard size required by Premier League and UEFA Rules of 105 x 68 metres or 115 x 74 yards in old money) less distance from our goal-line to our penalty spot, less distance from their goal-line to where chip was executed, plus the distance from where the chip was executed to the by-line (accounting for the 'arc' in the players turn up to the by-line after executing said chip), then onto the touchline (also accounting for the 'knee-slide' element of the players celebration), plus the distance from touchline to jubilant supporters, I believe works out in old money at approximately 115-12-18+20+25+5=135 yards.

Thats about 3 ****ing miles in my book! :lol:
Hahaha I love it a new hero is born iiiiiiiiieeeeeeee COYI
daveo

Post by daveo »

Colours never run wrote:

I could also argue that Payet himself will also find it hard to emulate his own form of last season too, as this season has proved. What I'm hoping for, is seeing Lanzini perform more consistantly than Payet over the next few seasons, rather than just going mental in one of them. And one who's always a Team player first and foremost, unlike someone else I could mention.

It's clear that Payet's form for us this season has been affected by his mental state bc his form for France has still been excellent. Whilst I'm not condoning that at all I don't think his ability is in question.

Payet was definitely a team player last season and that's unquestionable. Sadly he's been a disgrace on that front this season

I hope you're right about Lanzini but I just dont see that he'll ever hit the heights of Payet who don't forget was one of the best players in French football before he joined us.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Slacking student wrote: It's not to do with inciting trouble although that would make more sense. Apparently it's due to advertising the PL brand.

When a goal is scored the TV camera's almost always go to a close up of the player who's shirt is filled with advertising for the PL, shirt sponsor, kit make...list could go on. If the player jumps into the crowd he deprives the TV director of this vital period of advertising the 'best' league in the world. It's the same as taking your shirt off if you score, no advertising on skin so the PL are not happy about it hence the imposition of a booking to try and prevent the behaviour they find abhorrent.

Utter b*llocks of a rule dictated by money not the love of the game
Thats b*llocks.
Dermot Gallagher explained it a few years ago, it's because it causes crowd surges which can be dangerous. He said he hated booking a player for doing it but it was purely for crowd safety reasons.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Payets also been accused of lacking consistency and professionalism throughout his career hence why the likes of Wenger have given him a wide berth. Perhaps a better comparison is what they were both doing at Lanzinis age the past 2 seasons. Was Payet lighting up the pitch as well as Lanzini back then?
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Actually I don't believe the hype re Payet being great all last season.

He started great, then was injured in November for couple months (McCarthy). Came back firing for couple months, then got selected for France & stopped giving 100% for the last 10 odd games saving himself for the Euro's.

All in all i think he had a great half a season with us!
daveo

Post by daveo »

Colours never run wrote:Payets also been accused of lacking consistency and professionalism throughout his career hence why the likes of Wenger have given him a wide berth. Perhaps a better comparison is what they were both doing at Lanzinis age the past 2 seasons. Was Payet lighting up the pitch as well as Lanzini back then?
Whilst Lanzini has undoubtedly shown promise and has had very some good moments since he joined it's been sporadic and in too many games he's been a peripheral figure and has disappeared

He's 23 now, so not a young kid - the same age as Kane and Lukaku and 3 years older than Dele Alli. He's not in the same stratosphere as them and tbh I don't think he ever will be and to suggest he'll ever reach the heights of a Payet is asking a huge amount but I hope I'm hopelessly wrong of course
daveo

Post by daveo »

brooking1966 wrote:Actually I don't believe the hype re Payet being great all last season.

He started great, then was injured in November for couple months (McCarthy). Came back firing for couple months, then got selected for France & stopped giving 100% for the last 10 odd games saving himself for the Euro's.

All in all i think he had a great half a season with us!
Oh come on! Talk about re writing history

The last 10 games of last season included the 3-2 at Everton which he inspired, the incredible free kick v Palace, the 3-3 v Ars where he was very good, the 3-0 at W Brom - he was excellent and of course the 2 assists to beat Man Utd

He wasn't incredible in every game last season but was superb in the vast majority. Let's not underplay how good he was last season whatever his behaviour in this one
peter49uk

Post by peter49uk »

NorthBank86 wrote:Just watched the Lanzini goal on MOTD. He was pretty much standing next to Reid, goalside of our penalty spot when Reid heads out the Palace cross, busts a gut to sprint box to box, then the coolest of finishes. Impressive.

Watched the same but what got me was they were all over the dele chip, yet didn't even mention our little man's exquisite chip to finish a great run.
Colours never run

daveo wrote:
Whilst Lanzini has undoubtedly shown promise and has had very some good moments since he joined it's been sporadic and in too many games he's been a peripheral figure and has disappeared

He's 23 now, so not a young kid - the same age as Kane and Lukaku and 3 years older than Dele Alli. He's not in the same stratosphere as them and tbh I don't think he ever will be and to suggest he'll ever reach the heights of a Payet is asking a huge amount but I hope I'm hopelessly wrong of course

I'm specifically comparing the same like for like at the same age. I honestly don't know how far apart they are. I'd wager not too far off though.
Penfold711
Has liked: 2003 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

Bit disappointed that MotD didn't make more of that finish yesterday (although maybe understandable considering Carroll's contribution), it was definitely worthy of being seen multiple times.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sizza

Post by sizza »

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Cracking little player...........love him to bits.

He will have (some) games where he will be quite ineffectual. That's the nature of his type of player, especially with his size........and especially away from home.

But I won't hate him for it. Lovely to watch him glide through the middle, snaking past players and tackles........smooothy, silky .. Image
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

GaryP wrote: Thats b*llocks.
Dermot Gallagher explained it a few years ago, it's because it causes crowd surges which can be dangerous. He said he hated booking a player for doing it but it was purely for crowd safety reasons.
Exactly this. Nothing to do with sponsors etc.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Makes sense but I never get the yellow for a shirt off.

Is it for the players own good so that he doesn't get hypothermia?
Stevey
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Stevey »

The yellow for the shirt off, I always assumed was for the sponsors wellbeing. Fair enough, for the money they spend that's when the close ups will be on their logo. As far as going in to the crowds go, I think it's mainly for the safely of the player. That said, I think it's only going to be fan favourites like Lanzini your are going to get it from. I don't expect Nordtveit to be diving in head first after a 30 yard screamer (chance being a fine thing).

With regards to his age, Payet didn't start to make a name for himself until he was 27/28. Lanzini is already a mainstay in an important league earlier than a lot of players and has time on his side to improve further. I fully believe that he is going to be a huge player for either us or a much bigger squad in the near future.
Hammer of Oz

Post by Hammer of Oz »

Thats b*llocks.
Dermot Gallagher explained it a few years ago, it's because it causes crowd surges which can be dangerous. He said he hated booking a player for doing it but it was purely for crowd safety reasons.[/quote]

A fence crashed over in an A-League match on the weekend when a goalscorer ran over to the fans. No real injuries, but could have been serious as a couple of blokes got squashed. Still a joke to issue a yellow.