✍ Manuel Lanzini

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Manuel Lanzini

Post by DasNutNock »

hammerleroy wrote:Never forgive Scaloni? Who laid on our first two goals then!!! There were plenty our there who could have told him to hoof it miles upfield. But they didn't...…………………….. :(
Yeah, but even the players familiar with their opponents can't have expected such an astonishing display of c*ntery from carragher.
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

S-H wrote: I will never forgive him..

EVER!!!

:cry:
The way I saw it was that the Scousers cheated. We put the ball out for their injury and they should have done the gentlemanly thing and played it back to us (usually to the keeper). What did they do though? Booted the ball down to the corner to put us under more pressure. A weak panicked clearance then finds it's way to Gerrard and he scores. Should never have happened. Pity the f*cker didn't fall over like he did against Chelsea!
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I would bench him next game. I think he looks a little predictable at the moment and definitely not match fit yet. He will come good but I would start with Nasri for Everton
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

It all felt too slow yesterday - and it wasn’t clear how that midfield was setup. Was it meant to be Rice playing deep with Noble and Lanzini as a central two - Lanzini left and Noble right? Didn’t feel like much quick 1-2 passing that was hurting Huddersfield. Always felt that Lanzini plays worse if he is deep.

May be worth trying a game with Lanzini one side and Anderson on the other - as we ended up yesterday.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

If you want to get Lanzini, Anderson and Nasri in the three behind the striker, which we should be doing (with contributions and form allowing for Snod and Antonio to step in), we need a more steely presence than Noble.

This isn’t a dig at Noble, he’s still a solid player, particularly when we play lesser sides at home, but he isn’t physical enough, doesn’t have the aerial presence and he doesn’t have the positional discipline that is needed to sit in the middle next to Rice and keep us strong.

Teams can just lift the ball up into the middle of the pitch and we won’t win a header because we’re too small, or Noble sometimes ventures too far forward and can easily be passed through and can’t catch up.

I hope we sign a powerful midfielder to play alongside Rice this summer, because Lanzini, Anderson and Nasri are three great attacking players if they can feel confident that they are protected by a strong midfield two.
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

Status Kev wrote:The way I saw it was that the Scousers cheated. We put the ball out for their injury and they should have done the gentlemanly thing and played it back to us (usually to the keeper). What did they do though? Booted the ball down to the corner to put us under more pressure. A weak panicked clearance then finds it's way to Gerrard and he scores. Should never have happened. Pity the f*cker didn't fall over like he did against Chelsea!
From memory Scaloni put the ball out of play when one of their players went down with cramp.

If you can ever bear to watch a replay of the game it shows Dailly very clearly saying to him something along the lines of wtf are you doing.

They then very clearly showed no sportsmanship at all in stitching us up with the throw in and put us under pressure.

Sadly they have a lot more swing in the media than we do and it's never mentioned.
kentishiron
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by kentishiron »

Lanzini was much better once Nasri came on, as was Anderson. In my opinion it should be Noble who is dropped for Nasri, not Lanzini.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Lanzini and Sanderson were both extremely poor for the majority of the Huddersfield game. Anderson clearly played better in the last 15 minutes, I can’t say I particularly noticed Lanzini doing much of note though being perfectly honest.

Nasri has to start the next game, personally I’d rest Lanzini and Anderson. Lanzini could probably do with a rest after such a long injury, whilst Anderson has probably played in every single game this season. Antonio deserves to start, yes his decision making is poor but so was Lanzini and Anderson’s at the weekend. Antonio looked far more dangerous than both of them first half and has been in good form recently.

I’d line up:

—————Noble——Rice
Antonio———————-——Nasri
——--Hernandez—Arnoutovic
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

kentishiron wrote:Lanzini was much better once Nasri came on, as was Anderson. In my opinion it should be Noble who is dropped for Nasri, not Lanzini.
With the amount of goals we conceded we can’t play an even more attacking line up. Our midfield would get completely over run if we swapped Noble for Nasri.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

stu1 wrote:Lanzini and Sanderson were both extremely poor for the majority of the Huddersfield game. Anderson clearly played better in the last 15 minutes, I can’t say I particularly noticed Lanzini doing much of note though being perfectly honest.

Nasri has to start the next game, personally I’d rest Lanzini and Anderson. Lanzini could probably do with a rest after such a long injury, whilst Anderson has probably played in every single game this season. Antonio deserves to start, yes his decision making is poor but so was Lanzini and Anderson’s at the weekend. Antonio looked far more dangerous than both of them first half and has been in good form recently.

I’d line up:

—————Noble——Rice
Antonio———————-——Nasri
——--Hernandez—Arnoutovic

Assuming you intend to play some defenders and a goalkeeper as well I'd say you're probably right
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

stu1 wrote: With the amount of goals we conceded we can’t play an even more attacking line up. Our midfield would get completely over run if we swapped Noble for Nasri.
I don't get the whole point of view the Noble is a defensive player? He will put a tackle in yes, sometimes very reckless, but he has been playing very high up the pitch, when the opposition backline or keeper has the ball Noble is often up alongside the forwards and wingers on the press, and never tracks a man in midfield, most of the time a good 5 yards behind as he doesn't have the pace to keep up with his man.

Another thing that bugs me about him is that he takes way too many touches on the ball and when he does have the ball he runs towards his team mates closing the space down.

When Nasri came on, he was literally playing the exact same role that Noble was, and has been deployed pretty deep throughout his career. Don't get me wrong, I love Noble, but Nasri and Lanzini ahead of Rice would be a much better midfield in my opinion.
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

stu1 wrote: —————Noble——Rice
Antonio———————-——Nasri
——--Hernandez—Arnoutovic
Whenever Noble has played in a midfield two, unless already 2 goals behind, we've been absolutely dominated.

For me it should be
------------ Rice
------Nasri------Lanzini
Antonio------------Anderson
--------Hernandez
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Irrespective of Noble's failings or talents, Lanzini has not really showed us anything special since his return. It's completely understandable after a long lay-off but he would have been my first sub yesterday. His passing was poor and his link-up play (usually his strong point) was non existent. Nasri showed from his introduction what we were missing and was instrumental in turning the game
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

goa127 wrote:Irrespective of Noble's failings or talents, Lanzini has not really showed us anything special since his return. It's completely understandable after a long lay-off but he would have been my first sub yesterday. His passing was poor and his link-up play (usually his strong point) was non existent. Nasri showed from his introduction what we were missing and was instrumental in turning the game
Really? Lanzini was on it straight away in his return against Fulham and was our best player along with Rice for the Newcastle game, he was also good when he came on against Man City, where Nasri started but was non existent, although that game can be written off as it was Man City. In my original post you can see that I also thought Lanzini was poor yesterday, but once Nasri came on him and Anderson both started playing really well, with Lanzini linking up well with Nasri.

Noble has done nothing in my opinion to be chosen ahead of Lanzini or Nasri.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Can't comment on the Fulham game Kentish Hammer as I was away and couldn't see it but I was at the Newcastle game. I thought he was Ok in that game but that was all. I think the problem is that everyone was desperate for his return, so it's a bit of an anti-climax. Apart from our pathetic defending we really lacked a killer ball yesterday, Anderson was equally guilty. It improved near the end through hard work, something which was notably absent for the first 75 minutes!
kentishiron

Post by kentishiron »

goa127 wrote: I was at the Newcastle game. I thought he was Ok in that game but that was all.
You must be kidding? You only have to go back a couple pages on this page or the Newcastle match thread to see that everyone thought Manu ran the show and we looked a much better side with him in it!
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

He seems to have picked up an allergy since he's injured, as he plays as if he is allergic to shooting. The amount of times he's had a chance to take a shot since returning and either held onto the ball for too long, or took the wrong option of deciding to pass it to someone in a worse position is frightening.

He's been okay in terms of his possession with the ball and has actually overall settled back a lot better than I anticipated. He just needs to start taking more risks like he use to do and what he was good at before his injury. Whether it's to shoot more, or drive the ball forward more, or even pass the ball forwards a little more instead of sideways.

I would stick with him for new. But I guess a lot depends on if he gets any minutes with Argentina. :thup:
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Lanzini won the penalty
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I still don't believe he entirely trusts his knee atm which is understandable. Theres been a few 60/40 challenges in lanzinis favour that he hasnt fully committed to which makes me say that. I'd just like him to get to the end of the season unscathed and let him go again next year building an understanding with the new guys.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Not even on bench for Argentina and the whole squad is, is he injured?.