Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by Dwight1970 »

How anyone can defend Gold and Sullivan by saying they saved us is beyond me, a walk up from Barking Road along Green Street and I don't see much evidence of a club being saved there.

The truth is they sacrificed the West Ham United Football Club that most of us loved for what we were believed was a once in a lifetime opportunity to have something better and like those people used to snap up timeshares whilst on holiday so many of us fell for it.

The cold reality is we were sold something they never intended to deliver on so not only have these owners destroyed our heritage they have done likewise with many of our dreams something they should never be forgiven for.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

Nice one Samba. :thup:
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

If Gold and Sullivan were foreigners they would have been slaughtered in the media. They would have been slaughtered by the West Ham fan base in far larger numbers and far sooner than has happened as well.

All that was needed was for two white British blokes claiming to be fans of the club to strip it like vultures.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

happydaystoytown wrote:Nice one Samba. :thup:
Its time for a Samba Party.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: If I had to choose between them owning us in the PL or new owners in , say, league one I’d choose the third division every time. Nothing good can become of us under the Daves. Every day they are here diminishes what is left of this club a bit more. Only one way to stop the rot.
100% agree, I'd take league 2 even, we would come up again for sure with our big following. They are a cancer, really looking forward to the day they f*** off.
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

TheHandOfDog wrote: 100% agree, I'd take league 2 even, we would come up again for sure with our big following. They are a cancer, really looking forward to the day they **** off.
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that it's the only possible solution.

Like the LS. Sometimes the only way to rebuild properly is to start by demolishing what currently exists.
nickstanley66

Post by nickstanley66 »

Part of the stadium agreement was that if they sell the club for a profit before a certain point (im sorry i cant remember the date but i think its about 10 years) the Stadium owners can have a share as it is argued the increased price is in part down to the lease on the new stadium.

Ergo - they are'nt going anywhere for a long time. The son is being groomed as the new Chairman, he's already Chairman of the ladies team.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

from March it appears they can sell below a certain price (around £250 million) and not pay anything to LLDC.

However, even if a sale price were to be above that I'm sure the board would consider it if it were high enough that the buyer in effect paid that fee.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

nickstanley66 wrote:
Ergo - they are'nt going anywhere for a long time. The son is being groomed as the new Chairman, he's already Chairman of the ladies team.

Yeah, thats a funny one. At a time where they are trying to raise the credibility of the ladies game, they hand over the management of the ladies side to the owners son, effectively as a plaything..... but of course that beats getting in someone with gravitas in the womens game and allows the son to take a wage for all his incredible hard work. Keep it in the family, especially as they're so popular
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

nickstanley66 wrote:Part of the stadium agreement was that if they sell the club for a profit before a certain point (im sorry i cant remember the date but i think its about 10 years) the Stadium owners can have a share as it is argued the increased price is in part down to the lease on the new stadium.
They still have to pay on anything received over £125m for 10 years - but 28 days to go until the first 5 years are up - then the amount they pay on anything they receive over £200m goes down!

e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Can't see them being willing to lose 60 plus million unless things get ultra desperate and the prospect of losing millions per year (or worse) stares them starkly in the face sadly. We pretty much have to stick our head in the way of any bullet fired towards them if the fans want to put the pressure on in that regard. I was hoping it declined in increments over the last 5 years but obviously not so its a matter of watching them asset strip while maintaining the best they can, the glossy, if fragile shell intact to those still buying into the illusional dream.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Don't forget they can net the debt figure off which brings what they need to pay down a bit too.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Get relegated. Half empty stadium soon(ish) after. They’ll run out of there screaming. Never has relegation had such a huge upside to it before.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Get relegated. Half empty stadium soon(ish) after. They’ll run out of there screaming. Never has relegation had such a huge upside to it before.
Every cloud, Dave :thup: :)
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Samba wrote:Every cloud, Dave :thup: :)
Precisely mate.
JohnnyMoncs

Post by JohnnyMoncs »

Kialos wrote:All that was needed was for two white British blokes claiming to be fans of the club to strip it like vultures.
Them being white has nothing to do with anything.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

TheHandOfDog wrote: I'd take league 2 even, we would come up again for sure with our big following.
I wonder if the fans of Forest (relegated in 1999), Sheff Weds (2000), Leeds (2004), or even Coventry (2001 - after 34 seasons in the top flight), and Portsmouth (2010) said the same thing?

Before 1982, Wolves had been a top flight club for most of 50 seasons (winning the title three times.
In the 80s they sank to the fourth tier which you say you'd accept for West Ham, and sure enough they eventually got promoted back to the Premier League - but since 1989 they spent 24 of 28 seasons in the Championship. There are no guarantees we would be back - eventually we'd cease to be a big fish in a small pond.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Razzle Dazzle

Post by cockney hammer »

[youtube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wkyrldlPdC4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

:D
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: I wonder if the fans of Forest (relegated in 1999), Sheff Weds (2000), Leeds (2004), or even Coventry (2001 - after 34 seasons in the top flight), and Portsmouth (2010) said the same thing?

Before 1982, Wolves had been a top flight club for most of 50 seasons (winning the title three times.
In the 80s they sank to the fourth tier which you say you'd accept for West Ham, and sure enough they eventually got promoted back to the Premier League - but since 1989 they spent 24 of 28 seasons in the Championship. There are no guarantees we would be back - eventually we'd cease to be a big fish in a small pond.
You say we'd cease to be a big fish in a small pond in the lower divisions but what are we right now ?

Imagine being part of that Wolves journey from the top to the bottom and all the way back again. I think in 5 years ,and after the novelty of prem football wears off, most of their support will be thinking the worst part of the journey was sitting in the middle of the premier league 2018 onwards.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I (used to) go to the games to watch West Ham, not the opponents. Sure, the opposition made the game more interesting but it wouldn't really bother me who they were. Once the current regime are history I'll be watching The Irons whatever league they're playing in.

One good thing about the lower leagues is overseas merceneries rarely say "I've always wanted to play in the third division of English football", the players wearing the shirt by and large will want to be in it because of what it means, and not just a way into the PL obscene wages moneyfest.