Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by Mega Ron »

Around the time of the "protests" they dropped the percentage from 7 per cent to around 4.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1995 likes
Total likes: 1672 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Well UTJ at least my memory didn't fail me completely..

it just cocked the timeline up !!!!!!!

:oops:

Thanks for clearing it up..............

Although during my research from Pinky's notes it did mention that the fans meeting asked Karren to give up her column which she declined to do...so that part was covered there....

I also seem to remember Sully saying that they couldn't tell her what to do either...
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

I've been looking as well and can't find it - I do remember that the rate was reduced. Brady published a letter/minutes in response to a subsequent meeting with the various groups that many couldn't attend because of the snow - wasn't it mentioned in there?

There's a brief mention from RWHFG Twitter account about the content of the meeting but no mention of the rate reduction:

From https://twitter.com/realwesthamfans/sta ... 3517612033

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1995 likes
Total likes: 1672 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

No Wembley couldn't find it..

it wasn't in the first minutes and I can't find anything completely on the second meeting as KUMB didn't make it and I don't think that RWFAG posted anything other than "March canceled."

I even went through the news archives pages and related stuff but still didn't find it.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Up the Junction wrote:This originally came up in a bloggers meeting about 18 months ago. I asked Karren why they were charging interest when other clubs' Boards were charging none. That I believe is when she first mentioned that the rate was due to be reduced (or had just been).
Gnome also raised the issue with KB at a later bloggers meeting, that I did not attend.
Wasn't someone (G or S) also quoted as saying that they charged interest because they HAD to legally charge interest?
BillUp
Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.
Has liked: 1 like

Post by BillUp »

saying that they charged interest because they HAD to legally charge interest?
I remember an interview with Gold where he said the reason they both charge interest (not interest free loans) is because they have taken the money out of other projects. These projects were earning them up to 10% interest on their investments. He said even at 7% both Sullivan and himself were losing money loaning it to the club. Because of this they have to charge interest, as the money could be earning them lots more when diverted to other projects.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

I think the issue with the drop in interest rate was as a direct reaction to the "shitshow" that was the start of last season and the first concerted rumblings of "malcontent" and "keyboard warriory" - Mind you, they did manage to "whisk away" £14m of interest and loan repayment shortly before they made their "magnanimous gesture" !!
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

A consistent 7% income return is nothing to be complaining about, to make it sound like they’ve been hard done by and only loaned the money out of the goodness of their heart is a joke.

It’s also worth nothing their true return is their income return (7%) + their price return, i.e. the increase in value of the club, which has no doubt been exponential due to the increase in TV revenue.

In short they have made an absolute killing and any money they have ‘put in’ they will get back having made a very tidy return in the meantime.

Doesn’t it just make your heart bleed for them. Then top it off they act as if us fans are too stupid to understand what they are doing.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Doesn’t it just make your heart bleed for them. Then top it off they act as if us fans are too stupid to understand what they are doing

and thats part of the problem gsb , think we are all thick and living in caves
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

BillUp wrote: These projects were earning them up to 10% interest on their investments. He said even at 7% both Sullivan and himself were losing money loaning it to the club. Because of this they have to charge interest, as the money could be earning them lots more when diverted to other projects.
This doesn't in any way mean they have to charge interest. Greed makes them as they see it as a missed profit opportunity now forgetting they will sell the club for a huge profit in the future realising more than a 10% profit.

I also can't think of many projects that guarantee a 10% profit (or even any profit on investment). The old folks home time share salesman may have sold them that it does, but it doesn't mean it will in reality and could in fact make a loss.

No actual supporter would think or do what they have done.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Re the debt interest rate reduction:
https://www.whufc.com/news/club-account ... or-2016-17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In addition, the interest on the Shareholder loans was reduced to 4.0% from 6-7% from 1 April 2017.
It also mentions on page 41 of the 2017 accounts
The loans from shareholders are unsecured, with interest accruing at 4-6% p.a.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I think this happened just after the summer 2017 transfer window closed, they were getting some flak about not spending, not able to get the players they wanted and the Carvalho affair, Sulli made quite a song and dance about the legal requirement to charge interest. There were more misgivings and suddenly the rate got dropped Brady used it as a PR item trying to deflect away from the poor transfer window.
ludo22
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by ludo22 »

BillUp wrote:
I remember an interview with Gold where he said the reason they both charge interest (not interest free loans) is because they have taken the money out of other projects. These projects were earning them up to 10% interest on their investments. He said even at 7% both Sullivan and himself were losing money loaning it to the club. Because of this they have to charge interest, as the money could be earning them lots more when diverted to other projects.

They charge interest on the loans because they borrowed that money in the first place .They have never put a penny of their own money into West Ham.All borrowed and leveraged.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2896 likes
Total likes: 619 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Wembley1966 wrote:I've been looking as well and can't find it - I do remember that the rate was reduced. Brady published a letter/minutes in response to a subsequent meeting with the various groups that many couldn't attend because of the snow - wasn't it mentioned in there?

There's a brief mention from RWHFG Twitter account about the content of the meeting but no mention of the rate reduction:

From https://twitter.com/realwesthamfans/sta ... 3517612033

Cruella said that no approach had been made to buy the club and yet 1 of the axis of evil said they'd turned down a bid of £650 million, they couldn't lie straight in bed.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 616 likes

Post by Croydon »

Just listened to the "interview" on our front page.

Makes me sick. Should have turned off as soon as I heard Jim White. Fraud.
Jameslegend
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Jameslegend »

Croydon wrote:Just listened to the "interview" on our front page.

Makes me sick. Should have turned off as soon as I heard Jim White. Fraud.
I agree. Jim White had his tongue firmly wedged up DG’s backside. Slagging the fans off for not liking the stadium and protesting and generally making us sound ungrateful for everything the fabulous three have done for us. Wound me up listening to it!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 526 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I particularly enjoyed Jim White trying to validate a tweet he'd received. "Why don't you ask the cutting questions about lies?"

"David, have you lied?"
"No"

There you go, listeners. I've done the dirty work. You're welcome, there have been no lies.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I particularly enjoyed Jim White trying to validate a tweet he'd received. "Why don't you ask the cutting questions about lies?"

"David, have you lied?"
"No"

There you go, listeners. I've done the dirty work. You're welcome, there have been no lies.

Yep well done Jim, you ****ing brown nose ****
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2660 likes
Total likes: 1197 likes

Post by EvilC »

Hard-hitting journalism from White.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I wish that ****wit would just retire already. He is an insult to proper journalists, he is a silly leech of a man who shows up once a year on sky to do the transfer deadline day shenanigans. The world and it's mother can see that Gold and Sullivan are pisstakers but Jim can't because he is either incompetent as a journo or is being a little rat on purpose to sucker up to millionaires so he can get some free ****.