Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Nesticles

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by Nesticles »

Did any anti-GSB banners/flags that were being mentioned make it into the ground on Monday?
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2775 likes
Total likes: 602 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Nesticles wrote:Did any anti-GSB banners/flags that were being mentioned make it into the ground on Monday?
Some ABGSB scarves certainly did, I've sold about 70 so far, sold 3 the other night before they were confiscated by 2 Newham Council licensing officers and 2 plain clothes cops.
I don't think the gentlemen were available when the travellers were leaving the place next door like the local tip, savage cuts.
Kennet
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Kennet »

Just going to leave this here as after reading it really drives home the fact that they are in it for themselves rather than all the tripe they roll out time and time again...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41249300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Kennet on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Post by Aceface »

Slightly baffled by the trial balloons to media this week that we're interested in going back for Carvalho in January.

If they couldn't (or didnt want to) do it a week ago, why would they want to (or be able to) do it in a few month's time?
Albie Beck
Has liked: 611 likes
Total likes: 638 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Aceface wrote:Slightly baffled by the trial balloons to media this week that we're interested in going back for Carvalho in January.

If they couldn't (or didnt want to) do it a week ago, why would they want to (or be able to) do it in a few month's time?
One thing's for sure Ace, he won't be cheaper. So if according to the manager "...it [the failure] was about the money" then we probably should get ready for another gallant failure.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Kennet wrote:Just going to leave this here as after reading it really drives home the fact that they are in it for themselves rather than all the tripe they roll out time and time again...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41249300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is really sad, but I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here. :eh:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Kennet wrote:Just going to leave this here as after reading it really drives home the fact that they are in it for themselves rather than all the tripe they roll out time and time again...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41249300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No mention of WHU whatsoever.

What's your point fella?
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 833 likes

Post by mushy »

Albie Beck wrote: One thing's for sure Ace, he won't be cheaper. So if according to the manager "...it [the failure] was about the money" then we probably should get ready for another gallant failure.
I reckon that's the boards thinking, that he will be cheaper and they will be more desperate to sell, that's Sullys MO, if he can knock 10 bob off the price then he is happy.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Aceface wrote:Slightly baffled by the trial balloons to media this week that we're interested in going back for Carvalho in January.

We could pay more money in total and more money up front in order to have Sporting drop any tapping up case.
Kennet
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Kennet »

OK so maybe a little bit of a stretch, but I was commenting on a person who has shown true 'love' for a club and their stewardship of it, as he sees himself, even before the situation he is in, as a part of a greater whole and is looking to leave a legacy for the club and fans. For me is struck a note compared to absolute tripe we are fed by GSB.

So no mention of WHU but about football and people, to me this struck a note as that is what nearly every thread commenting about the move, money and the board is, to me, ultimately saying, the connection has gone.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

mushy wrote: I reckon that's the boards thinking, that he will be cheaper and they will be more desperate to sell, that's Sullys MO, if he can knock 10 bob off the price then he is happy.
But Sully reminds us every year, there is no value in January
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

There will be more excuses, half-truths and lies why we couldn't bring in players in January as the board kept reminding us in the past that you rarely do value for money deals in January anway.

I reckon the number of fans who are likely to believe their excuses for not spending money is going down at breakneck speed at the moment. Finally they have been sussed out by a majority of fans AND the media too, so things can only get more uncomfortable for them from now on.

I also doubt the old “blame and sack the manager“ trick is going to work for much longer...
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

There seems to be a build up of reports over the last week saying we are going back in for him in January...

I ain't sure if that's coming from the club as reports suggest or if it has come from the player as he has been quoted as saying he is still keen to come to us..

If it proves to be from the club then I can only think it's a ruse because at the moment I reckon the board don't see Slav being here in January and certainly don't want to spend the money on Slavs choices at moment (which is a known and well reported situation)

It could be they want to keep the situation between both clubs quiet after all the hoo-ha and/or it's a carrot for us as supporters and Slav to sort of give the impression we were trying when we first approached Carvalho agent and it's not true that the board had no intention of buying him..

Then there is also this story about us being offered Schurrle on dead line day or just before it.... though I ain't sure why Sully didn't mention that either at the time as I'm sure he would of taken the opportunity if he could..?

I am still so surprised that none of our owners have said nothing after the game.... some supporters they are!!
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Ozza »

Ben wrote: But Sully reminds us every year, there is no value in January
Well he's got a bloody good point after our dealings last Jan
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

I wouldn't be surprised if we went back in for him in Jan and signed him (albeit for less then the summers asking price) - skull looks like the kind of man who hates all the sick he's started to get & would love to silence his critics.
Fishdo

Post by Fishdo »

simonirons wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we went back in for him in Jan and signed him (albeit for less then the summers asking price) - skull looks like the kind of man who hates all the sick he's started to get & would love to silence his critics.
Sully will keep that ball rolling still January I'm sure.... but come January

1) He was keen on getting him but now Slav has gone it was the new managers decision to wait till the summer

2) he was keen on getting him but Sporting Lisbon proved to be to difficult to negotiate with given what's happened...

3) he was keen to get him but the asking price was just too high and proves the January window is a bad time to get good value.

4) he was keen to get him but the players agent was demanding too high fees.

5) he was keen to get him but while he was on a Xmas break in Marbella he couldn't get to his phone in time and his message service isn't operable when he is outside the UK

6) he was keen to get him but given the current libel case his lawyers advised him not to contact anyone at the club until the 'case' is decided in 2021
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's become a matter of personal reputation again.

They shut up for most of this summer because they got slaughtered for not walking the talk last year.

When they netted Hart, Zaba, Hernandez and Arnie it looked like they really had turned a corner - but their sensitivity to criticism from places like this led to that daft transfer review statement.

If they'd toned it down, not said anything that could be perceived as unsupportive of Slaven and then we'd got the 2-0 they'd be off the hook - but they couldn't help rising to the bait.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

I think Mega Ron may well have it right re Cavalho. Reminds me of the 'dealings' we had with his French club prior to signing Sakho.
Fishdo

Post by Fishdo »

I read on TS today that A Bola from SL has said it will cost us €40 million to sign him in January...

If Sully does try to buy him because he believes it might restore him some of his damaged reputation then he's going to have to pay through the nose for it.... even if it don't reach as high as that..

Regardless though given we only went to his agent with 23 million I can't see that happening at all ... Sully would rather pay the million comp money to Slav and start the spin all over again with a new manager...
RM9

Post by RM9 »

So the final vote is in on twitter. The first 300 votes went 90/10 and then a lot more pro board votes came in. We can't determine the demographic of the voters, many may have not been West Ham fans.

The final result out of 525 votes was 76/24 in favour of them ****ing off. Thanks to everyone that voted, I'm not entirely sure what it can achieve, but it certainly sends them a direct message that they're not wanted by the majority of a small straw poll.