Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by WebmasterFF »

goingunderground wrote:
Looking at it from the Mayor's point of view - i.e., political - he/his office are going to say that, aren't they? Doesn't mean they won't sell it. The government and opposition lie all the time without being held to account.

Khan taking on Boris/Brady while "protecting the Olympic legacy" and the local community is a quick and easy win from a political standpoint, not to mention the potential windfall of cash from the sale + tax payer money saved that can be "pumped back into the community".

It's the interests of everyone that it's sold.
I think the best analogy that we can give is the Millenium Dome, a vanity project which didn’t really plan very well for its future usage (sound familiar?)

Bearing in mind the Dome was at an operating loss of £1m a month and at best the London Stadium is expected to lose £10m a year/at worst £20m it would make financial sense. The O2 is now being run by people with expertise in event management and have turned it into one of their most financially viable assets whilst having no burden at all on the tax payer.

At some point, Khan or his replacement will look back at his tenure and think that whilst in control of the stadium it has, at best, cost the public £40/50m. Selling to the club, who have a good history of community links (especially when aligned to Newham Borough) would recoup some of the money, and stop the extreme losses expected over time. Play it off as “I’ve saved the city £20m a year which we can use to improve public services” and it’s a winner all round

Except for Seb Coe. f*** Seb Coe.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

I wonder if now the FA are seemingly planning to put Wembley up for auction rather than take the American's 600mil, whether or not he might turn his attention towards the OS and make Khan an offer?
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Johnny_C WHU wrote:Personally I think its a little from column A and from column B.

Last year the hierarchy were starting to be rumbled. There was enough noise with the failed protest(s) and the Burnley incident to have the media etc. discuss their impact at the club and it wasn't positive. This also effected the fence sitters and people generally ignorant to their dealings for them have their heads turned and question. The three couldn't sit on their hands this summer window or I believe it would be worse than last year.
Season ticket sales were always going to be high, we are a loyal bunch for our sins.

Added to that we was also disastrous last year and was saved by worse clubs then ours. Credit to Moyes, but any other year there would be a strong possibility we would have went down. I believe that if we went down it would be disastrous to them.

All these factors contributed to where we are now, a dynamic 'next level' manager and seemingly better players coming to the club (early days yet).

They cannot tarnish club London, they cannot let the franchise be damaged beyond repair as I believe the end game is a sale of West Ham London.
Well explained, that alone is enough to prompt this new turn in his behaviour. Fact is I am sure it was made very clear to him by the FA and Prem League that any repeat of Burnley and the club would be in serious jeopardy and even without that the salability of the club would be compromised for years. So yes that could simply be the explanation to change from cruise mode. Hopefully it goes deeper and beyond that but we may know more come August or next Summer whether or not this was simply an act of short term self preservation or something more. Either way you can guarantee Tripp, whatever his true motive would not be impressed with events.
Last edited by e-20 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Post by Samba »

e-20 wrote:Fact is I am sure it was made very clear to him by the FA and Prem League that any repeat of Burnley and the club would be in serious jeopardy
Plus he didn't want to risk his new glasses.
He'd already made a right spectacle of himself..
Bury Me @ The Boleyn

Post by Bury Me @ The Boleyn »

Samba wrote: new glasses.
spectacle.
oh bravo, lad.
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 143 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

For anybody who genuinely thinks Sullivan has changed, let's see whether the talk results in actions this time. So far for all the "positive intentions" all we've done is sign a Championship player on a free. Everything else about our transfer activity is no different than last summer so far. Over to you David.........
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Bill wrote:For anybody who genuinely thinks Sullivan has changed,

The only change Sully knows is short change.
JohnSissonsWasMyHero

Post by JohnSissonsWasMyHero »

Johnny_C WHU wrote:Personally I think its a little from column A and from column B.

Last year the hierarchy were starting to be rumbled. There was enough noise with the failed protest(s) and the Burnley incident to have the media etc. discuss their impact at the club and it wasn't positive. This also effected the fence sitters and people generally ignorant to their dealings for them have their heads turned and question. The three couldn't sit on their hands this summer window or I believe it would be worse than last year.
Season ticket sales were always going to be high, we are a loyal bunch for our sins.

Added to that we was also disastrous last year and was saved by worse clubs then ours. Credit to Moyes, but any other year there would be a strong possibility we would have went down. I believe that if we went down it would be disastrous to them.

All these factors contributed to where we are now, a dynamic 'next level' manager and seemingly better players coming to the club (early days yet).

They cannot tarnish club London, they cannot let the franchise be damaged beyond repair as I believe the end game is a sale of West Ham London.
e-20 wrote: Well explained, that alone is enough to prompt this new turn in his behaviour. Fact is I am sure it was made very clear to him by the FA and Prem League that any repeat of Burnley and the club would be in serious jeopardy and even without that the salability of the club would be compromised for years. So yes that could simply be the explanation to change from cruise mode. Hopefully it goes deeper and beyond that but we may know more come August or next Summer whether or not this was simply an act of short term self preservation or done thing more. Either way you can guarantee Tripp, whatever his true motive would be impressed with events.
I agree with these. Furthermore, I don't buy into the theory, expounded by some, that there is some kind of clever plot which explains GSB's behaviour. They don't seem to be nice people at all, don't get me wrong. I just think that they are all astonishingly stupid, clumsy and inept and therefore completely out of their depths.

It's called Hanlon's Razor - "never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity".
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Fair play to Gold & Sullivan for confirming Issa Diop & Fabianski.

It's not fixed the past 10 years...but it's a start.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

I agree. To say I'm not a fan of GSB is an understatement however they appear to have learnt from the mistakes of last season which you have to give them credit for. We've signed a top manager, hired a proper DOF, identified the leaky defence issues and spent money to rectify them (still need a DM though) and appear to be willing to spend further to support the manager.

Saying that, imagine if they showed the same level of support in January 2016. Like the boys of 86, could have pushed on with the right players and willingness to invest, instead they ****ed it up.

One swallow does not make a summer (transfer window)
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

They could bring the title to that ****hole, I would still never forgive them.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

simonirons wrote:They could bring the title to that ****hole, I would still never forgive them.
:thup: :crest:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

simonirons wrote:They could bring the title to that ****hole, I would still never forgive them.
this! ****ing THIS!!!
i can't wait to see those thieving leeching ********s leave the club.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Window after window of lies and underspending which led to hanging managers out to dry, bring a couple of players in and all is forgiven....

I give up...
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Ozza wrote:Window after window of lies and underspending which led to hanging managers out to dry, bring a couple of players in and all is forgiven....

I give up...
Who has said all is forgiven?
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

With massive bells on :thup:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Hammer1972 wrote:
Who has said all is forgiven?
Nobody.

Somebody said 'It's not fixed the past 10 years...but it's a start' and that seems to have been misinterpreted as 'all is forgiven'
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I look at it more pragmatically. There is the old adage of faced with a 'personnel' problem, you change the people or 'change' the people.

On the basis they are not going anywhere in the foreseeable future, I can live with the former. No-one, as far as I can see, has said anything about forgiveness, just highlighting some positives in a sea of negativity. If events/action bodes well for the team/club I support then that gets my approval and I choose to be happy about it, as do many others.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Diogenes wrote:I look at it more pragmatically. There is the old adage of faced with a 'personnel' problem, you change the people or 'change' the people.

On the basis they are not going anywhere in the foreseeable future, I can live with the former. No-one, as far as I can see, has said anything about forgiveness, just highlighting some positives in a sea of negativity. If events/action bodes well for the team/club I support then that gets my approval and I choose to be happy about it, as do many others.

yep :thup:
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 1632 likes

Post by chalks »

Lil Joe 17 wrote:Fair play to Gold & Sullivan for confirming Issa Diop & Fabianski.

It's not fixed the past 10 years...but it's a start.
No it’s not.

A start would be a full public apology for the lies and spin that convinced thousands of us to support the move from The Boleyn.

A start would be the immediate dismissal of Brady.

A start would be removing London from that ****ing badge.