Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by dodger »

They deserve credit for this window for sure. I never thought I'd see us spend about 40 million pounds on a player with these two in charge. Credit where it's due.

Does it undo years of under-investment, the botched stadium move, countless embarrassments in the media and the lies to the fans? Of course not. It's a drop in the ocean, but at least it's a start.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

goes only a little way to resolving the issues. they have screwed WHU for years !
sold our home for a ***** bowl
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Re: Two Bob Turnaround

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The buying is done. Lets see what happens when we sell....and who we sell.
Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Re: Two Bob Turnaround

Post by Rays Rock »

The selling has to happen, simply as many of our existing players don’t cut the mustard and haven’t for 2 seasons under 2 different bosses.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

agree some are not good enough

kouyate
Cullen
hughill
byran
Snodgrass
Antonio

Antonio if he has the right attitude is the one I would keep as he was injured and rushed back last season so I think deserves a chance if he wants it. he would not start for me but would provide cover at winger and striker so a useful player to have around. if he is not willing to put effort in then sell to palace 20-25m

kouyate has been poor for 2 years and seems lazy and unable to hold a position. shame as he was a beast of a player. 15m
Northern_Light
Location: Where the Sun keeps on shining, even past the witching hour!

Post by Northern_Light »

It makes sense for the new manager to assess the current squad before deciding who to sell. For those that didn't reach their potential before, they might yet come good under Pelle.

Also, getting a manager or even players isn't like shopping in a supermarket where you have 20 items in stock and you just spend the dollars and you get the quality. This time we got the right manager. But they aren't always available or willing, and a lot of the building stems from that.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

hopefully he can turn around Antonio and kouyate.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

It's like they have suddenly spend all the money they have saved by underspending in the last 3 years in just a few weeks.

I wonder what series of events have meant they have suddenly decided to cough up. :lol:
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

No Bends you’re wrong. Leopards in their ‘60s and ‘80s can change their spots and both at the same time too. Who knew?

On an unrelated matter I have some rare snake oil to sell. Cures everything and just £12 to get on the waiting list for it.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 136 likes

Post by Ben »

Sullivan must be itching to open his gob about how he worked tirelessly to get these deals done!
fair play they are doing what we want at the moment though, sitting back and keeping quiet for the most part.
need to see the European window shut before we get too excited, if Arnie starts well and a big team in Europe are struggling we could have some testing bids
Mean Ashton

Post by Mean Ashton »

wise up.

it's not their own money being used to pay for these transfers.
they have a surplus from previous transfer windows, but instead of using that they will "lend" the club a bit more money with a very healthy interest rate.

please dont be fooled.
artlin

Post by artlin »

Mean Ashton wrote:wise up.

they have a surplus from previous transfer windows, but instead of using that they will "lend" the club a bit more money with a very healthy interest rate.

please dont be fooled.
It's not their own money but they are going to lend the club some!!

Do what??
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Mean Ashton wrote:wise up.

please dont be fooled.
errrr.....that...doesn't make sense?

If they are lending the club money then it literally is their own money?

Also, I would be shocked if thats the case, as with the negligible amounts we spent in the last two windows along with the PL finishing money that would have paid for all these transfers.
The Straw
Has liked: 593 likes
Total likes: 1429 likes

Post by The Straw »

Ladzini wrote:
errrr.....that...doesn't make sense?

If they are lending the club money then it literally is their own money?

Also, I would be shocked if thats the case, as with the negligible amounts we spent in the last two windows along with the PL finishing money that would have paid for all these transfers.
So if you wanted some new trainers and I lent you £100 to buy them knowing that you'll pay me back £107 in 12 months time then whose money ultimately buys the trainers?
Mean Ashton

Post by Mean Ashton »

exactly.

the "loan" comes from them but comes with a nice little APR% for them. long term they are making money and the loan is secured so they will never lose.

people are bigging up G&S for finally putting their hands in their pockets............ but that's not what is happening.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by stu1 »

I think the point Mean Ashton is trying to make is in the long run these transfers are not coming out of their own pocket. Short term they might be (although that’s also debateable) but long term they will be making a decent profit via the accruing interest.

There’s a big difference between owners who put £100m into a club interest free and then write off the loan, compared to what G&S do.
Heysel76
Has liked: 215 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Penfold711
Has liked: 2073 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

dodger wrote:They deserve credit for this window for sure. I never thought I'd see us spend about 40 million pounds on a player with these two in charge. Credit where it's due.

Does it undo years of under-investment, the botched stadium move, countless embarrassments in the media and the lies to the fans? Of course not. It's a drop in the ocean, but at least it's a start.
I must admit to wondering just how much the Burnley protest, adverse media coverage about the stadium move, their lies being exposed for all to see, and how close we came to relegation last season has scared them into taking this action.
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

They have done some very good business in the transfer window and have backed the manager in a big way and at the same time kept pretty quiet and modest about it in terms of the personal press coverage which you could say is commendable but it’s really par for the course for most clubs isn’t it?

With this lot there is always a catch, its just a case of waiting for it to materialise.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

If we sell arnie this business has been worth nothing.