Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by Peaches »

I think they realize they are under the cosh and are looking to do some damage control.
Truth is, we need a total clear out from Top to bottom.
If we can’t get rid of 5he owners we need to get rid of the players that are doing almost as good a jo/ as the owners of killing the club. Sullivan’s construction of the squad has left us with the second oldest, least fit, least committed, most entitled squad in history. We really need to clear out a lot of the older players, the higher earners and the bad seeds. The problem is we can’t change a dozen or more players in January.
We need to get rid of the worst offenders to start with though. Based on the indifference of their recent performances, Kouyate, Obiang, Ogbonna, Carroll, and Sakho have to go in January. I really think we need to replace them with younger less entitled British players. I’d love to see Jamaal Lascelles, Courtney Hause, Lewis Dunk or Alfie Mawson replace Ogbonna, Tom Carroll, Isaac Hayden, Lewis Cook, Jack Wilshire, Jeff Hendrick or even Declan Rice replace Obiang and Kouyate, and the likes of Walcott or Callum Wilson replace Sakho and Carroll, we would be younger. Fitter, faster, and less entitled.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I like your thinking, I'd probably draw the line with Obiang though as although he's been poor this season, I do still think he's come good again and worth having in the squad at the least and of decent age and fitness.

Kouyate I'd reluctantly let go if he's not to be considered as a Central Defender by either manager or the player himself. Would miss his character and genuine affection for the Club. If he could see sense and play at the back then I'd be more than happy to see him remain but it doesn't look likely.

I wouldn't argue against the others being sold for differing reasons as long as decent replacements were sought first. If no buyers offering fair market value for them then I wouldn't ship anyone out. We're not a charity jumble sale.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I have been giving more thought to what might have been had they not take us over and we went into administration. I am sure most of you know what administration means to any business. It does not mean the end of operations. Most businesses that enter into administration, continue as normal whilst the administrators take control of every day operations. What they cannot do, is take on any new business, but their duties are to try to put together a rescue package, not treat any creditor any more, or less favourably than any other and effectively, they cease trading, but as I identified in earlier posts, there are loads of teams now playing in lower leagues and indeed, one or two, like Pompey and even Southampton, who have survived this and are now thriving once again. Institutional investors have one golden rule, they buy low and they sell high and we could have been a very tasty morsel for somebody who was prepared to take a risk, somebody, I am sure would met with the administrators and decide to buy us. As a result, I left pondering what might have happened, what might have been, had we gone into administration back in 2010. The worst I think, is it would have been the lesser of two evils. What you can be sure of, however, is we would definitely still be at The Boleyn
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Bang on the money Puff, that's how I saw it too. The whole 'saviour' thing always grated with me.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Colours never run wrote:Bang on the money Puff, that's how I saw it too. The whole 'saviour' thing always grated with me.

Thanks mate. PS - I forgot Leicester too, that's another one who survived to tell the tale :)
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Doc H Ball wrote:Now the Club are seeking to recruit the ICF to try to stop the abuse!

http://www.claretandhugh.info/west-ham- ... l-to-arms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know a couple of these blokes and I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting. I bet Karren gives it a swerve.

This is all turning into some sort of surreal On The Waterfront.
As taken from one of the comments at the bottom of the article:
The most worrying part was the last line, “Swallow later confirmed…. “Just to be clear West Ham have asked us to meet them not the other way round”.

It smacks of classic patterns of divide and rule.

Andy Swallow may be well intentioned but he represents no-one except himself. Why are the club not asking to meet WHUISA, who do have a genuine mandate representing a broad spectrum of fans? Perhaps afraid of its independence and organisation?
Not wrong there.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Colours never run wrote:Would miss his character and genuine affection for the Club.
b*llocks. The mercenary got the hump not being allowed to join Sp*rs.
steps
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 253 likes

Post by steps »

Peaches, you talk about getting younger, fitter less entitled players in then you name Walcott and Wilshere as who you’d bring in. :eh:
matthewbd
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Codu wrote:The footballing world is starting to catch up.

https://www.tifofootball.com/features/w ... ect-right/
My favorite paragraph from that:
West Ham have to be cured from the inside. Supporters can soothe players’ egos and keep revenue streams flowing, but they should never be under obligation to cheer and chant their club out of a pattern of systemic failure. Conversely, their enthusiasm rightly depends on a set of imperatives which, at the time of writing, are just not being respected in East London – and, unfortunately, the loss to Watford was just further evidence of that disconnect. It was listless football from players who were too quick to surrender. And another performance watched over by owners who, when caught by the Sky Sports cameras during the second-half, looked entirely perplexed by the chants which were echoing around them.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

steps wrote:Peaches, you talk about getting younger, fitter less entitled players in then you name Walcott and Wilshere as who you’d bring in. :eh:
28 and 25 to be fair!
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

steps wrote:Peaches, you talk about getting younger, fitter less entitled players in then you name Walcott and Wilshere as who you’d bring in. :eh:
Lil Joe 17 wrote:28 and 25 to be fair!
Think its the bits in bold he was referring too, not necessarily age!
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Puff Daddy wrote:I have been giving more thought to what might have been had they not take us over and we went into administration....
Good points Puff.

I have no doubt that we would have survived. In some ways I envy Pompey. At least they won the cup before it all went tits up. But, you know, despite going down to the fourth division, and being bottom of that for a while, their core support rarely fell below 15,000 . The true supporter remained en masse, and a few years on, they are now pushing for promotion to the Championship. Who knows, we could be playing them again soon.

Right now GSB are under incredible scrutiny and pressure. Lots who supported the move now see through the charlatans.

You could argue, that one way out of this mess, is for the club to suffer some severe hardship on the field of play. Relegation, followed by struggle and another relegation from the Championship. This club, this board, this stadium would not survive that. Administration might well follow. Another relegation maybe.

The club, then at it's lowest point in history, could be taken over by a fans consortium. This would allow a move away from the OS. Free of the shackles at last, the club could rise again under the care of it's core support. New owners, new ground, same core loyal support.

For the 15,000 to 20.000 that would remain, I am sure the seasons in the wilderness will make the eventual return that much sweeter. West Ham are too big to stay down for too long.

Ask yourself how long this journey is for you? If the answer is for life, then I say it is worth a few years in the doldrums to get rid of GSB and the OS. :crest:
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:
Good points Puff.

I have no doubt that we would have survived. In some ways I envy Pompey. At least they won the cup before it all went tits up. But, you know, despite going down to the fourth division, and being bottom of that for a while, their core support rarely fell below 15,000 . The true supporter remained en masse, and a few years on, they are now pushing for promotion to the Championship. Who knows, we could be playing them again soon.

Right now GSB are under incredible scrutiny and pressure. Lots who supported the move now see through the charlatans.

You could argue, that one way out of this mess, is for the club to suffer some severe hardship on the field of play. Relegation, followed by struggle and another relegation from the Championship. This club, this board, this stadium would not survive that. Administration might well follow. Another relegation maybe.

The club, then at it's lowest point in history, could be taken over by a fans consortium. This would allow a move away from the OS. Free of the shackles at last, the club could rise again under the care of it's core support. New owners, new ground, same core loyal support.

For the 15,000 to 20.000 that would remain, I am sure the seasons in the wilderness will make the eventual return that much sweeter. West Ham are too big to stay down for too long.

Ask yourself how long this journey is for you? If the answer is for life, then I say it is worth a few years in the doldrums to get rid of GSB and the OS. :crest:

spot on. if you offered me the next 10 years spread across championship, league 1 and league 2, in a proper ground, with proper fans, watching proper football or 10 years in the PL circus under these clowns I know what i'd choose... Every time
LOS

Post by LOS »

The Old Mile End wrote:
The feeling of belonging to something special, and the journey through the years gets me salivating. If the experience we have now is as good as it gets, the club will venture further away from its core identity. Such a bloody shame.

LIES LIES LIES.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

A proper football business experienced CEO ( there is,to my knowledge, an out of work Londoner who has done the job at Man Utd and Inter)to replace Brady and a DOF to replace Sullivan . Some long term planning and a clear vision that does not change from manager to manager.Sullivan and Gold step back and concentrate on backing the strategic planning with the cash.We really cannot go on with the farce of seeing Sullivan chase players all window and his manager reject them at the eleventh hour (Hogan,Iheanacho,et al) or "lowballing" and messing clubs and players around with "timewasting" tactics.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Karen Brady on the move following the takeover:

“There were two interesting things about it. One, it had £100m worth of debt. Two, it had no what I would call culture. At football clubs we don’t make anything, we don’t manufacture anything, we don’t really produce anything other than more players.

“So getting the culture right, being a place where something is expected of you, having discipline, planning and process and strategy. That wasn’t there.”

“One of the issues that sport has is the amount of money generated that is paid to the players… There has to be more to football than money.

“The stadium is not what makes a football club – it's the people who support it. Protecting their tradition, values and integrity is very important."

Its this type of nonsense which shows the distance between the club and the fans.

Sullivans own words on it in 2010:

Asked whether they would be happy to live with the track around the pitch, he told Sky Sports News: 'Ideally no, but there may be a way we could lay the running track for three months or something. It may be cheaper to build a running track somewhere else. I don't think running tracks work, particularly behind the goal. The customers are so far back it doesn't work.

'We don't want to buy (the Olympic Stadium), we want to rent it. The Government promised to keep it alive for 30 years, it's going to cost them more to keep it alive. With us it's going to cost them nothing - we would pay all the running costs.'

They have completed their plan perfectly
LOS

Post by LOS »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Karen Brady on the move following the takeover:

“ it had no what I would call culture. At football clubs we don’t make anything, we don’t manufacture anything, we don’t really produce anything other than more players.
Shows what a numpty she is. We had a culture others could only dream about (even with all their trophies and endless top players). The then, new owners, problem was how to moneytise it, realising they probably couldn't, made the move to replace the clubs DNA with their new target customers.

How to kill a football club in a few easy steps.

They knew exactly what they were doing. Headbanger
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

“The stadium is not what makes a football club – it's the people who support it. Protecting their tradition, values and integrity is very important."
In what respect, shape or form have the board protected the tradition, values and integrity of the people supporting this club ?
No, it's not just the stadium, it's the entire ethos, the way they run the club, the way they deal with the fans.

The board wouldn't know integrity if it hit them right between their Minces... :crest:
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

The Old Mile End wrote:

I think it's the only way.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

HamburgHammer wrote:In what respect, shape or form have the board protected the tradition, values and integrity of the people supporting this club ?
the new crest's shape is the section of a ship, don't you know?!?