Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by goa127 »

No point adding rail closures to gsb crimes. I work for TFL and there is virtually no possibility of anyone affecting the crossrail works schedule. We often had this problem at UP notably when we played Chelsea at home and there was no district line between Tower Hill and Barking, effectively crippling both sets of fans. This issue is a tremendous pain (I live in Brentwood) for a large proportion of our supporters, but hopefully it will be finished this year (not this season)
Caltagir

Post by Caltagir »

May have misled there.
Not blaming them for the cock ups with transport. But do think that they could make more fuss about the affect it has on supporters.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

goa127 wrote:Incompetence is Sullivan's biggest crime. He just isn't very good. He makes out he's a hot-shot business man but he's really just 3rd rate. Fandom? Did anyone really buy that. West Ham made good sense because they were local and financially troubled. They'd have been just as willing to buy spurs if they'd been in a similar situation
Was reading this from 2000 the other day, some odd parallels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... climb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Modern wrote:
Was reading this from 2000 the other day, some odd parallels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... climb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
****ing hell Modern.

I bet you are thinking 'there by the grace of god ...'
griff123

Post by griff123 »

goa127 wrote:No point adding rail closures to gsb crimes. I work for TFL and there is virtually no possibility of anyone affecting the crossrail works schedule. We often had this problem at UP notably when we played Chelsea at home and there was no district line between Tower Hill and Barking, effectively crippling both sets of fans. This issue is a tremendous pain (I live in Brentwood) for a large proportion of our supporters, but hopefully it will be finished this year (not this season)
Rail closures can be added to their list of 'crimes'.....cross rail closures were predictable...its always been known that cross rail wasn't going to finish for at least a couple of years...so why the rush to move us into the bowl, could have waited til cross rail had finished...
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

griff123 wrote:
Rail closures can be added to their list of 'crimes'.....cross rail closures were predictable...its always been known that cross rail wasn't going to finish for at least a couple of years...so why the rush to move us into the bowl, could have waited til cross rail had finished...
Originally we were supposed to have moved a year earlier
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

griff123 wrote: Rail closures can be added to their list of 'crimes'.....cross rail closures were predictable...its always been known that cross rail wasn't going to finish for at least a couple of years...so why the rush to move us into the bowl, could have waited til cross rail had finished...
Potential great gains from the redevelopment of Upton Park, burning a hole in someones pocket(s)....?
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Oh so we very nearly had Sullivan doing Jazz hands instead of his iconic crossed hammers then. Wonder if Gold had a shop premises already sorted he could weave tearful stories around, or better still revealing a long lost white T shirt with a cock scribbled hastily upon it (not to mention in it) held up to the press while waxing lyrical about it being his schoolboy footy shirt. Brady would just present it all as her home coming and what a privilege it was to be following Sugar again.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

wildkard wrote:It’s like someone jumping in the river Lea to rescue your dog, then coming round your house a few days later to beat it to death.
:lol:
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Well, Fernandes might not have transformed QPR but at least they still have a ground they love. Extract from his wiki....

Sullivan told the London Evening Standard: "He wanted 51% of the club for two bob." Sullivan's comments started a war of words on Twitter. "It was a good offer with good money and brought in good people," said Fernandes. "Gold and Sullivan can say whatever they want. I have been a lifelong fan and would have brought good money, good ideas, new people and a new belief. As for PR stunts. Wow. They are always in the press making huge claims. Were we not supposed to be in Europe. Now we have been relegated. Two sacked managers. All good players will be sold. No new training ground which is the most important ingredient I feel. Look at how many injuries we have. And more investment into the academy."[23]
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Big Tone called it 5 years ago.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Well, Fernandes might not have transformed QPR but at least they still have a ground they love. .
He pulled out of the bidding for us when the Icelandics were selling and gave G&S a free run, that's how much he wanted to buy us.

He gave Redknapp stupid amounts of money and almost bankrupted the club. They had to sell all their best players after being relegated.

Because of his mismanagement, they were fined £40m for breaking FFP rules

QPR are looking for a new ground as they want to move, although why I don't know (other than to sell on for prime real estate) as they can't even fill Loftus Rd at the moment.

You think he would have done any better?
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

All the other groups and interested parties pulled out of the bidding for only one reason and that was they all wanted the club 100% ownership, the terms of sale became only 51% ownership with straumer still holding a share obviously

It was then only one group was left in the running as other groups would not tolerate that share option and sadly we got these owners

All the other groups were serious players on full ownership, but only full ownership
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Modern wrote:Was reading this from 2000 the other day, some odd parallels.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... climb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So sorry to see you missed out, Mod.
Just think, you might have been playing at the next level now...

Bet you were well pleased with last night!
Higuain took that 2nd penalty like an Englishman..
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

As much as I'd like them gone, I think we have to be careful what we wish for.

To truly take west ham to the next level we need a billionaire who will happily write off huge chunks of cash while we get to that point. There are numerous examples of people who have bought premier league clubs and then got cold feet when they've reaAlised the level of investment that is really required to regularly challenge for champions league football. Randy learner bring the best example. Villa came 5th or 6th and he suddenly realised he had to spend 1/4 billion quid just to go up and couple of places in the table!

What gold and sullivan need to do is improve what they are doing in every area of running the club. Whether they are capable of doing so is up for debate. However, they are preferable to me than another Icelandic biscuit maker or some faceless 'investment group' whose only loyalty is to their shareholders and making a profit.
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

With due respect Denbigh ~ That's complete twaddle,imo.We could afford a top notch DOF and recruitment staff on no more money than Lady Brady takes out of the business each year.Just look at Southampton - team getting stripped of "quality players"and managers,virtually, every year, but they have still finished above us five of the six seasons since we both came back up!
They have got a much lower salary levels, much lower ST holders,much less to spend on players and not many injuries and "oaps" stinking the place out - They have a plan, they are run as a business and they shut the f*** up and get on with it.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Denbighammer wrote: However, they are preferable to me than another Icelandic biscuit maker or some faceless 'investment group' whose only loyalty is to their shareholders and making a profit.
I don't see how that is worse. At the moment we have embarrassing in your face chairman whose only loyalty is to the shareholders (themselves) and making a profit.

I don't think we're ever going to reach "the next level". We're going to be a midtable at best team for a long, long time. However if I had to choose to be that under the stewardship of the liars who sold many people a false dream in order to take us from our home for their own gain, or be that under any other person, I'd choose to lose the liars.
tizzwoz

Post by tizzwoz »

I dont expect to get an honest or serious answer on here to this question, but i'll ask anyway...

IF we was in 6th place right now, having had a decent season so far, won some exciting games, bought in some quality players and looking likely to qualify for the Europa, would you still be protesting about the board or would you consider that "the next level"?

Part of me thinks that better results = better atmosphere at games = happier fans. But then the other part of me thinks that regardless of whether we are a good team or not, fans wont be happy because we are not at UP.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

hammerdivone wrote:
He pulled out of the bidding for us when the Icelandics were selling and gave G&S a free run, that's how much he wanted to buy us.

He gave Redknapp stupid amounts of money and almost bankrupted the club. They had to sell all their best players after being relegated.

Because of his mismanagement, they were fined £40m for breaking FFP rules

QPR are looking for a new ground as they want to move, although why I don't know (other than to sell on for prime real estate) as they can't even fill Loftus Rd at the moment.

You think he would have done any better?
A QPR fan I was speaking with a couple of weeks ago said that yes Fernandes has had his fingers burnt, and has learnt a few football ownership lessons the hard way, he has actually been a very good owner for the last couple of years. He undoubtedly has good intentions and they are happy with the way he is currently running the club

Can you say the same for Sully?
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

Mega Ron wrote:
****ing hell Modern.

I bet you are thinking 'there by the grace of god ...'
Indeed, West Ham took a bullet that was heading our way.

If Sully turns up at Spurs in 2000 and Levy pops up at West Ham instead it's a whole other world.