Pedro Obiang

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pedro Obiang

Postby HammerMan2004 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:47 am

Colours never run wrote:There's playing it tough to rattle a team but that's way over stepping the mark. Did he even get booked?

Don't believe so, they may have even won a throw-in from it if memory serves?
HammerMan2004

Postby NottingHammer6 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am

Not even a talking to from the ref, disgusting. If a ref can see a player taken off on a stretcher from a full blooded challenge, surely it should register with him it was probably a dangerous tackle and even if he didn't see it clearly have a word with the player tell him to calm/down watch his tackles etc.
NottingHammer6

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:04 pm

Our players do need to wise up a bit on the pitch though. Imagine had this been Chelsea, they would have harangued the ref and really made a meal of it and probably got the perpetrator sent off. It is all gamesmanship, but it could have turned the tie in our favour. We need to stop being everybody's pussies on days like that
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby libero on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm

I agree with what you're saying Puff Daddy, but it's a sad state of affairs that our players have to do that to get any protection.

I also agree with Guardiola when he says that referees are not doing their job of protecting the more skillful players in the game. That's been the case for years and it has seriously inhibited the development of smaller, talented players in English football. Does anyone really think that the likes of Messi, David Silva or Iniesta would have been allowed to flourish if they'd started their careers in England? They would have been hacked to an early exit Ifrom the game

Of course you then get the pundits and people like Warnock, Allardyce and Moyes coming out with the usual nonsense of "It's a man's game" "It's English football" etc, but if you look at the challenges that may well have finished the seasons of Obiang and Mane, there's no way they can be justified

Dereliction of duty (or, even worse, incompetence) from the referees, and no comeback from the powers that be. How many times have we seen players getting reds for next to nothing challenges and yet over the top violence goes unpunished

Compare Noble's red vs Liverpool at Anfield a couple of years back and McCarthy's "punishment" for his horror challenge on Payet
libero

Postby sutts07 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:C+H saying Obiang could be out for the season.

Will most likely play against Palace then.
sutts07

Postby ageing hammer on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:13 pm

I thought they can look at things like this and issue a retrospective ban, why isn't that happening.

If it was one of ours he would be banned already.
ageing hammer

Postby szola on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

ageing hammer wrote:I thought they can look at things like this and issue a retrospective ban, why isn't that happening.

If it was one of ours he would be banned already.

It's only diving, spitting and giving someone the finger that leads to retrospective bans.

Masculine behaviour, such as breaking legs, are merely part of the workman's game. #Footballisaladsgame :wink:
szola

Postby Samba on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:56 pm

The simple test is if that was a WH player making that tackle I would still be saying "what the f was he doing?". Power may not have intended to injure Obiang but to go in like that was, at the very least, reckless. There is no way that is or should be, 'just part of the game'. The ball is not there to be won at ANY cost.
They wouldn't have been pleased if it was one of their players who had got done. And there's no punishment, no comeback. Disgraceful.
Samba

Location: Wondering when Karren Brady's going to fuck something else up.

Postby Tristan Shout on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:Our players do need to wise up a bit on the pitch though. Imagine had this been Chelsea, they would have harangued the ref and really made a meal of it and probably got the perpetrator sent off. It is all gamesmanship, but it could have turned the tie in our favour. We need to stop being everybody's pussies on days like that

This is how I see it, we are a soft touch because we are too honest, wenger and mourinho would be already putting the pressure on the ref for their next game, saying how their players aren't getting any protection.
Every team that we play kick and snide foul us and we just get on with it, then when we make a fair tackle on them they writhe around on the floor while team mates surround the ref appealing.
I would hate to see us resort to such dispicable tactics but we are at a disadvantage, if you can't beat em, join em or at least highlight it before the game so they can't get away with it
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby ironsjh on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:02 pm

From the away end at the time, it looked like a 50-50 that Pedro lost, confirmed when the ref did not seem to care much. The pictures show it was anything but.
ironsjh

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:20 pm

and what did Moyes do at that moment ? Even Pards would have been in the 4th officials ear about that tackle and wouldn't have let go and that is what he should have done too
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Rasp on Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Get your vote in for Pedro on Sky Sports for January's goal of the month, he is well in front at the moment.
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... or-january
Rasp

Postby Irrons on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:08 am

Is there any update on his injury?
Irrons

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 pm

Irrons wrote:Is there any update on his injury?

Strangely quiet isn’t it. Presumably good news would have been public by now so I fear he’s out for the season.
hammer1975

Postby PrinceH on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:08 pm

We really missed Obiang against Brighton. Zabaleta was great the other day as his replacement, but Hughton new what to do when he attacked Zeb with pace. So once again, the board's mistake/unwillingness to get us a good defensive mid, was really costly. And could do more damage.
I hope Obiang will come back sooner, but as he seems to be out for the season, could we have Alex Song back?
PrinceH

Postby simonirons on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:40 pm

He posted a picture on Instagram today from Barcelona in what looks to be a hospital bed. - Thanks the fans and teammates for the support and says he’s one day closer to a return. - looking at the comments some say 3 months.

I did see something yesterday that said he’s season was over.
simonirons

Postby S-H on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Out for the rest or the season apparently.

Makes not buying a replacement even more idiotic!
S-H

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Both Fernandes and Obiang are anytime from mid April to the end of the season.

Mid April means 4-5 games left.
Start of May is 2-3 games left.

The Man U game has a pretty strong possibility of being pushed back from mid March.
bubbles1966

Postby libero on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:03 pm

That's what I expected

But where do you get your news on this Bubbles?
Because no matter how hard I try to find these things out, I'm always in the dark about our injury situation

As you may know, I also follow Real Sociedad quite closely, sometimes working with them,
and they are completely up front with injuries, sometimes even publishing medical reports in the local press. Currently 2 players out - one back for Sunday, the other another month yet

Why can't West Ham be clearer on these things?
Because they are embarrassed or incompetent?

Or both? :?
libero

Postby SpongeBob's Pants on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Sky Sports reported that hes out for the season.

Only highlights even further the idiotic decision not to sign a DM.

GSB deserve everything they get from here onwards, really.
SpongeBob's Pants

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion