Pedro Obiang

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pedro Obiang

Postby libero on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 pm

OK, so Sky Sports News put it out, but the club make no statement

That means one of 4 things

1: SSN are making it up (nothing new there)

2: SSN are putting 2&2 together and guessing

3: West Ham are giving the news to media outlets, but not to their fanbase

4: There's so much incompetence at the club that nobody knows what's going on and we have to listen to "ex WHU employee" & Physioroom to have any kind of clue of what's going on

:?
libero

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:56 pm

libero wrote:That's what I expected

But where do you get your news on this Bubbles?
Because no matter how hard I try to find these things out, I'm always in the dark about our injury situation

As you may know, I also follow Real Sociedad quite closely, sometimes working with them,
and they are completely up front with injuries, sometimes even publishing medical reports in the local press. Currently 2 players out - one back for Sunday, the other another month yet

Why can't West Ham be clearer on these things?
Because they are embarrassed or incompetent?

Or both? :?

I'm 2+2'ing, Libs.

Fernandes had his op the week before Xmas - similar injury to Fonte's if I have read it correctly. He is 3-4 months so that would put Fernandes at around April. Carroll's is also a 3 month ankle injury.

Obiang's was also said to be similar to someone who had three months out - so from 27 Jan that is the end of April.
bubbles1966

Postby szola on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Obiang ruled out for half a season worth of football, potentially ending his career at WHUFC.

Where are the pages of vitrol and fury aimed at the player responsible?
The type aimed at our own player who passed bodily fluid during the same game.
szola

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 pm

szola wrote:Obiang ruled out for half a season worth of football, potentially ending his career at WHUFC.

Where are the pages of vitrol and fury aimed at the player responsible?
The type aimed at our own player who passed bodily fluid during the same game.

I’m sure Power didn’t intend to injure Obiang. Much like I don’t agree with the hate spouted towards Masuaku I don’t think Power would deserve any vitriol.
thejackhammer

Postby HammerMan2004 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Personally, I just think Obiang was unfortunate. It wasn't a malicious tackle, it was the kind of thing we cheered Zabaleta for in the next game. Obiang looked like he either tried to twist his body out of it or didn't fully commit and he ended up getting tangled and hurt.

One of those things in a contact sport, wish him well and a speedy recovery.
HammerMan2004

Postby bowltorious on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 pm

I don't understand this, the tackle on Obiang was horrendous both in real time and in slow mo. the guy knew exactly what he was doing, he went in that way as to protect himself. Wigan were filthy all game but not taking away they deserved to win. With my personal training and sports background as well as being a physio student I called it at the time that it was a bad one, a classic mechanism of injury for ligament damage. Has it been confirmed as just his mcl yet?
bowltorious

Postby szola on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 pm

thejackhammer wrote:I’m sure Power didn’t intend to injure Obiang. Much like I don’t agree with the hate spouted towards Masuaku I don’t think Power would deserve any vitriol.

I beg to differ. Power knew what the results of his "tackle" could be.
szola

Postby mattyD on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Was an utterly horrendous and malicious tackle with the intention of going over the ball and through the player off the ground.
mattyD

Postby OFT on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm

mattyD wrote:Was an utterly horrendous and malicious tackle with the intention of going over the ball and through the player off the ground.

Yep. that pic on page 39 :shock:
OFT

Postby ageing hammer on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 am

mattyD wrote:Was an utterly horrendous and malicious tackle with the intention of going over the ball and through the player off the ground.

Yet the player was not booked and how come their was no retrospective ban for it.

You can be sure if it was the other way round our player would have been banned.

It it was one of our players against the Blunts they would be suing us.
ageing hammer

Postby thejackhammer on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Retrospective action can only be taken if the Ref says he didn’t see it. He saw the challenge and waved play on so that wont happen.

And to be honest who cares? Banning Power won’t help us at all. If it was a booking it should have happened in the game, it didn’t, banning him after doesn’t affect our league position or cup place.
thejackhammer

Postby mattyD on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:07 pm

ageing hammer wrote:

Yet the player was not booked and how come their was no retrospective ban for it.

You can be sure if it was the other way round our player would have been banned.

It it was one of our players against the Blunts they would be suing us.

Exactly, and the really worrying thing was no one from our team even questioned it, if Nobes had been on the pitch he would have been in the refs face or the player's. There's such a lack of spirit and vocal support when he's not playing.

Lewin says back for pre season.
mattyD

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Moyes:

“Some of them are close, but others like Pedro Obiang and one or two others like Edi Fernandes who are going to be out for a little while longer.”

“Hopefully it might not be the whole season, but he's had a repair to his medial ligament and that will more than likely keep him out for most of the season. Who knows? We might get him back just before the end, but probably not. He’s still in Madrid at the moment after his operation.”
bubbles1966

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:42 pm

From a Twitter exchange

Jordan Rice‏ @JordanRice94

@davidgold Seeing as we are in the market for free transfers and seeing as Pedro Obiang is now out for the season would it be possible to re-sign the beast that is Alex Song?! He will make a difference!

David Gold @davidgold

Who would you drop? dg
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Beavis Danzig on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 am

realised who the bloke reminds me of:

actually remembered hamburger hill being not as good as platoon, watched them both recently and the former was far more effecting. platoon was very hollywood by comparison.

coppola and kubrick still rule the vietnam war film roost though.
Beavis Danzig

Postby Algarve Hammer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:34 am

MotD, goal of the month v Tottenham Hotspur. Back of the net!! :D
Algarve Hammer

Postby Colours never run on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 am

And well deserved it was too.

Had a debate a while back with a couple of Spurs 'mates' (we've all got at least 1) about how good Obiangs goal was against them, yet all they would rave more about was Sons goal, which was really good and deserving of 3rd best, but it still wasn't a patch on Obiangs for combined, power, precision and distance. Wouldn't expect anything less from Spurs fans in general though, as they usually think they're better than everyone else in the game.

Kane being better than what Agueros done being another one.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby brooking1966 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 pm

OB1 Motm most under-rated player at the club, love the unorthodox/gifted way both his outside feet pass the ball sideways effortessly. He has great knee & ankle dexterity to manoeuvre the ball at tough angles with ease. I say give him more of a role, he can bang a goal & create assists like the Arnie goal.

If he was '1 of our own' he'd have more fans here, our best player last year imo!

----------------------Fab
----------------------Diop
-------------Capt----------- Oggy/Cress
---Zaba-------------Rice-------------Masuaku
-------------OB1------------Anderson
----------Yarma
----------------------------Arnie

3-5-2 with the ball & 3-5-1-1 or 5-4-1 defending
brooking1966

Postby prophet:marginal on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:47 pm

I reckon that was his best game in our shirt, some three years after signing.

His turning and changing of direction is second to none. He can press and also make effective use of interceptions. Had the vision to play a proper part in two excellently-sculpted goals.

Hope that wasn't a one-off, because that was top class football, at times, with him and Declan seeming to understand each other's games/positions.
prophet:marginal

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 pm

I think Pelligrini is going to get the best out of Pedro
Give him a bit of licence to get forward more and utiilse his passing ability in areas where it can do more damage
Crouchend_Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion