Pedro Obiang

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Pedro Obiang

Postby Burnley Hammer on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:52 pm

A decent player but he's not come on as much as I hoped. Injuries have held him back a little. I don't think he's good or strong enough to single handedly drag us through a game. He's certainly one that's upgradeable.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby hammer1975 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:52 pm

If we want to play 4-2-3-1 with a proper attacking ‘3’ and attacking full backs then he works better as part of a shield with Rice than our other midfield options IMO

He was excellent last night - agree Puff :thup:
hammer1975

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:01 pm

Our man in the shadows at the moment. Doing a lot of important work, much of it goes unnoticed. Like Balbuena, I'd be pleased for them to get a few more public plaudits.
DasNutNock

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:27 pm

I thought he played well and covered when Antonio went bombing on...however, and admittedly in only the limited games I have seen Cairney I think he looks an overall upgrade than Obiang.

my opinion. no more no less.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby stu1 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:38 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I thought he played well and covered when Antonio went bombing on...however, and admittedly in only the limited games I have seen Cairney I think he looks an overall upgrade than Obiang.

my opinion. no more no less.

Is Cairney the same sort of player though, admittedly I haven’t seen too much of Cairney but he seems more attack minded than Obiang. I think Obiang is underrated, he’s a great midfield foil for both Rice and Noble, whilst if we were to upgrade him it would cost a few bob. Personally I think we have more pressing matters at full back and centre forward in the summer.
stu1

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 pm

whenever I have seen Cairney play, which isn't as often as I might, he has played very deep in the Rice role, and/or played the Noble/Obiang role depending.

I think he started out deep for them when we played them and then they moved him forward more and more.

at the time, I posted I am pretty sure their player with the most touches was him with wanna say 90 touches and a pa of about 90+ % and ours was Anderson with maybe 10-20 less and a 80 % maybe.

not comparing but highlighting that he figured very prominently for them wherever he played and obviously didn't give the ball away much,

a CM but if we are signing Nasri for nowt which we seem to be doing, he might be superfluous to requirements here.

liked him whenever they were on last year and I thought that he and Grealish were the best 2 players in the playoff final.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Ludeksgloves on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:56 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:whenever I have seen Cairney play, which isn't as often as I might, he has played very deep in the Rice role, and/or played the Noble/Obiang role depending.

I think he started out deep for them when we played them and then they moved him forward more and more.

at the time, I posted I am pretty sure their player with the most touches was him with wanna say 90 touches and a pa of about 90+ % and ours was Anderson with maybe 10-20 less and a 80 % maybe.

not comparing but highlighting that he figured very prominently for them wherever he played and obviously didn't give the ball away much,

a CM but if we are signing Nasri for nowt which we seem to be doing, he might be superfluous to requirements here.

liked him whenever they were on last year and I thought that he and Grealish were the best 2 players in the playoff final.

Nasri is a natural Left Winger.
Ludeksgloves

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:47 am

can you see Nasri replacing Anderson and/or Snodgrass ?

:?

from what I remember latterly and from Wiki:

Samir Nasri (born 26 June 1987) is a French professional footballer who has most recently played for Turkish club Antalyaspor. He primarily plays as an attacking midfielder and a winger, although he has also been deployed in central midfield.

at his age I can honestly see him playing AMC as we really don't have a direct need for either wide players but a need for a direct replacement for Wilshere.....

plus Antonio will also play out wide........thought he might have been used to unlock packed defences....

course I have been wrong before..

loads of times !!!

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby Kialos on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:58 am

Obiang had a good game for us last night, good attitude too.
Kialos

Postby miles on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:36 am

Just needs to add consistency to his game. Seems to follow every good performance with a rather poor one.
miles
This site...

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 am

Given that the Wilshere experiment has somewhat spluttered and stalled, Obiang is precisely the right person to be staying in and around the 18. He is younger than both Noble and Snodgrass, but I never get the impression that he is sulking if he isn't picked.

As Miles suggests, a bit more consistency wouldn't go amiss, but, from time to time, he has not just worked well across the 90 in midfield, he has got forward and played some significant passes. His performance at Goodison, our first decent one of the season, a case in point.

I wouldn't sell him this January.
prophet:marginal

Postby Ozza on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:A decent player but he's not come on as much as I hoped. Injuries have held him back a little. I don't think he's good or strong enough to single handedly drag us through a game. He's certainly one that's upgradeable.

Yeah been a disappointment really, clearly a player there but never really seen him take the opportunities he's had.....
Ozza

Postby simonirons on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:09 am

I think he’s a decent player. - always quietly going about the basics. - calm on the ball, capable of some superb passes and always will him to shoot from outside the box.

If I’m honest, unlucky to not be a regular starter.
simonirons

Postby Blow Bubbles on Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:40 am

simonirons wrote:I think he’s a decent player. - always quietly going about the basics. - calm on the ball, capable of some superb passes and always will him to shoot from outside the box.

If I’m honest, unlucky to not be a regular starter.

For me, you just described Noble too, so really it’s which one of the two partners Rice.

RE Nasri, I don’t think he causes an issue whereby he pushes Pedro down the pecking order, I think he’s an off the bench option to play anywhere across the midfield or wide attacking areas.

I think the bigger issue for Obiang will be when Lanzini is back. If Manu is going to play CM, neither Obiang or Noble are defensively aware enough to play with him. So if it’s two in the middle, it’s Lanzini and Rice, with Nobes as first replacement or the third if it’s three in middle. That’s what will restrict his playing time... IMH(and somewhat drunk on gin) O.
Blow Bubbles

Postby hammernsickle on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Pedro had won me over with the way he started under Pellegrini, but reverted completely back to type yesterday. Lot's of misplaced passes, hesitated on the ball constantly, and generally seemed afraid to play football. There were quite a few times when someone would be available on the wing and he would stop, looking out at the player, and then finally try a diagonal ball - I don't think a single one found their target but either went out of bounds or stopped short and was scooped up by the opposing full back.

Doesn't win the ball back that often either. Was completely outshone by Mark once the cap came in.

It is no wonder Pells wants to upgrade us at CM. Our biggest weakness - and yes I know about full backs.
hammernsickle

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

He wasn't great, but I don't think he was as bad as people are making out last night

He did try and play forward most of the time, including the ball to Arnie that could have been a penalty, and there were some neat little passing triangles on the edge of the opposition box

There really was little going on ahead of him last night in the first 45 and he struggled to make things happen [as did Anderson, Snoddy and Rice] in the first half

I think for Arsenal we will see Noble, Obiang and Rice
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby hammernsickle on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:01 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:He wasn't great, but I don't think he was as bad as people are making out last night

He did try and play forward most of the time, including the ball to Arnie that could have been a penalty, and there were some neat little passing triangles on the edge of the opposition box

There really was little going on ahead of him last night in the first 45 and he struggled to make things happen [as did Anderson, Snoddy and Rice] in the first half

I think for Arsenal we will see Noble, Obiang and Rice

Mate he kept missing simple mid-range passes to open team mates that any Premier League standard midfielder should be able to do. Many of us were not at our best yesterday, but the ball would get to him and our play would freeze. Players would make movements to try and offer an outlet and he would seem paralyzed.

Absolutely bizarre performance.
hammernsickle

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Seems to be one of those players whose good performances usually go unnoticed, but whose poor ones tend to stick out.
DasNutNock

Postby Clucking Bell on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:18 am

DasNutNock wrote:Seems to be one of those players whose good performances usually go unnoticed, but whose poor ones tend to stick out.

That's a fair point. I think that he's also got the Noble problem of being a bit of a jack-of-all-trades.

Players like Rice and Lanzini have pretty well defined roles in the team whereas Noble and Obiang tend to fill-in based on who our opponents are. Against the bottom six, they act as additional attacking players whereas against the top six they play a disciplined role alongside Rice. It's against our peers in the middle eight that we tend to have problems as they get caught in a sort of footballing no-man's-land where they're neither doing enough to shore up the defence nor quarterbacking our attacking plays.

It's certainly a position we should be looking to upgrade but, I suspect the real answer will involve parting with a good fifty million quid.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby S-H on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Di Marzio saying Fiorentina are working hard to sign him this month.

Will this be a farewell performance from Pedro?
S-H

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion