West Ham Utd 2-0 Newcastle Utd (14/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: Match Thread

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

thal wrote:So out of interest would you have us play the same way?
I would.
It seems away teams are doing the number on home teams this season and both Leicester and Bournemouth have come to us and done a proper Away job.

They'd have set up for the typical Boleyn game, to stifle and unsettle the crowd early, then to force us into mistake. So, pro-actively, play an away tactic against them. F*ck em right up.

You some times have to get clever.

Some real Bobby Bouche sh*t.
Jayctly

Post by Jayctly »

Really excited about this one!

Looking forward to seeing how Bilic lines us up and where the new buys fit in. I suspect the only change will be Kouyate for Moses. Shifting to a 4-2-3-1 with plenty of movement in behind Sakho.

I'm going for a 2-0 win. COYI! :scarfer:
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet. Was Payet ok after the Liverpool game? Didn't he come straight off the field after getting clattered? At the time I thought knowing our luck it's a big injury but I've heard nothing since.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1335 likes
Total likes: 797 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

//

ignore me
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

I would change formation playing 4231, looking to kouyate to get fwd and look for scoring opportunities against their suspect CBs.

Randolph
Tomkins - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
Obiang - Noble
Lanzini - kouyate - Payet -
Sakho

Bench: Spiegel, Jenkinson, Oxford, Antonio, Moses, Zarate, Carroll
ironilunga
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1202 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Let's give this lot a sound thrashing and in doing so put an early nail in the coffin for the wally with the brolly. I predict he'll be sacked before Christmas and in 2016 will be back managing F.C Edam and speaking like Raymond Van Barneveld.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

How can both teams play the away counter attacking tactic? We'd have both 11s in their own half waiting for an attack!!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3680 likes
Total likes: 2385 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

We just done the scouse 3 zip at their gaff. Same team please. :thup:
Girder

Post by Girder »

As the old mantra goes, never change a winning team, play the same 11 that beat the scousers
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Newcastle have played relevantly narrow in the games so far. Setting up as a diamond again would play right into their hands. This might change in Thauvin starts as he is a genuine winger.

4-2-3-1 for me. I would retain Tomkins at right back as I think Jenks needs to regain some confidence first. The last thing we want is for him to have another poor game in front of our fans and get confidence issues. Lets save him for an away game.

Vital we play with width at home, you can guarantee every team will have looked at Leicester and Bounmouth and that will be the tactics against us this season.

Obiang needs to play, both Noble and Kouyate are too fluid and push forwards too much to play as a two. Given that Kouyate is away on international duty I would drop him to the bench.

Antonio was in the form of his life in the Championship and with 2 weeks training with us under his belt should be ready to start. Moses hasnt been playing so will take longer to get up to speed.

Randolph
Tomks Reid Oggb Cress
Obiang Noble
Lanzani Payet Antonio
Sakho
Prawn

Post by Prawn »

Girder wrote:As the old mantra goes, never change a winning team, play the same 11 that beat the scousers
No, don't.

Why would you do the exact thing that f*cked us against Bournemouth and particularly Leicester? No, don't play narrow.

Either Moses or Antonio to come into the starting 11, or even both, if we're that confident. If we play the same team we won't play well.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

kalashnikov wrote:Newcastle have played relevantly narrow in the games so far. Setting up as a diamond again would play right into their hands. This might change in Thauvin starts as he is a genuine winger.

4-2-3-1 for me. I would retain Tomkins at right back as I think Jenks needs to regain some confidence first. The last thing we want is for him to have another poor game in front of our fans and get confidence issues. Lets save him for an away game.

Vital we play with width at home, you can guarantee every team will have looked at Leicester and Bounmouth and that will be the tactics against us this season.

Obiang needs to play, both Noble and Kouyate are too fluid and push forwards too much to play as a two. Given that Kouyate is away on international duty I would drop him to the bench.

Antonio was in the form of his life in the Championship and with 2 weeks training with us under his belt should be ready to start. Moses hasnt been playing so will take longer to get up to speed.

Randolph
Tomks Reid Oggb Cress
Obiang Noble
Lanzani Payet Antonio
Sakho
Didn't know Kouyate was on international duty. I like it :thup:
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2687 likes
Total likes: 1783 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Having a fit Andy Carroll will be a huge factor in our Home Form improvement , his presence alone is enough to send the opposition defence into a panic , also the signing of Jelavic means we have a poacher sniffing out those second balls in the penalty area .

As others have said , it's very difficult leaving out the likes of Kouyate , he has been a powerhouse in those 2 away matches and a nuisance at free kicks and corners - if Bilic decides to go with Obiang and Noble , Kouyate must be on the bench as 1st sub .
I can't see Antonio starting but to win these home games we need wingers to get round the back of the defence - Payet and Lanzini will start with Sakho up front but expect Antonio and Carroll to feature at some point .
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

I don't think the way we were set up at Liverpool was anything like the two home games tbh, Payet and Lanzini were not out and out widemen but it was more 433 at anfield with both of them getting wide and more importantly compared to the home games they both put a shift and a half in helping the fullbacks out! I'd be more than happy to go into the Newcastle game with the same players and formation, I would prefer 4-2-3-1 and I think we will see it as the season goes on but it would indeed be harsh to drop anyone after a convincing win at Liverpool and I don't think we will, what options we're gonna have to come off the bench though !
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

I recall watching a report on either sky or Beeb that over last 5 seasons or so in the premiership the reliance or benefit of being at home has drastically reduced... The stats they came out with would support the fact that playing at home was no longer the advantage it once was and if I recall correctly 42% of average PL games resulted in a win for the home team...

The main point of the report was that playing at home for the average PL club was no longer the advantage it used to be...

I'm sure others on here will be able to recall it better than I have...
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Prawn wrote: No, don't.

Why would you do the exact thing that f*cked us against Bournemouth and particularly Leicester? No, don't play narrow.

Either Moses or Antonio to come into the starting 11, or even both, if we're that confident. If we play the same team we won't play well.
thats the point tho.. we changed the team in both of those games.. we brought jenks in at RB and then obiang and Nolan into the midfield.. lost both games

so no changes from liverpool
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

We need width at home, hence the signings of Antonio and Moses. One of them should start. If away teams are going to put men behind the ball then you need to stretch the game.

A tough decision who to leave out, but what a contrast to lack of options! The manager is paid big money to make such decisions, and I think he'll get it right the majority of the time.

Tomkins should stay at right back, two quality performances so far. I still like Jenkinson, but Tomkins simply on form.

I can see us making regular changes week to week, based on how we set up at home compared to how we play away.

And the beauty is, we have what looks like a great squad to make this happen.
Kubrickhammer

Post by Kubrickhammer »

Can't believe people are considering dropping Kouyate. I guess if there's a question over match fitness because he's been traveling but otherwise he needs to be starting.
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

I think Kouyate with his endless energy is more useful in away games where we have to put in a massive shift and carry the ball up the pitch quickly. He'd still be useful at home but I think Obiang and Noble have a bit more guile. (This is assuming we go with wingers)
Keepers
Location: If we could play Arsenal every week , everything would be great.

Post by Keepers »

Kubrickhammer wrote:Can't believe people are considering dropping Kouyate. I guess if there's a question over match fitness because he's been traveling but otherwise he needs to be starting.

IMHO i think this is the first time we can say its squad rotation. The manager now has a choice.

It's the way the top teams challenge for every trophy.

Keep your players fresh and let them see that the team can win without them.

The player comes back refreshed and determined to show that he should start.

Fergie and Mourinho have been the best at this in my lifetime.

It helps if you have a balanced squad of quality players.

Maybe just maybe we are (for the first time I can remember ) starting to build a squad rather than
a first team.

It's now time to wait and see just how good Slav is. The future is bright :scarfer: